Honda Rincon Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This may be a silly question but I am a novice when working on the machine. Had the front end off the ground this weekend doing some maintenance and noticed that the front wheels don't "free spin" as I had expected. I had it in 2wd, no parking brake, etc. Felt like I was turning the differential gears. Is this normal?

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Did you recently adjust the brakes? I think what your feeling is the drag on the brake shoes. If you havn't adjusted the brakes in a while, it would probably be a good idea to check the adjustment. I believe the adjustment procedure is in the owners manual.

·
Premium Member
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Picky,

Thanks for the input but it is not the brakes. When I turn one tire, the other one turns as well like I am turning gears. Not easy to turn either -- there is resistence there.

·
Registered
807 Posts
There are no lockout hubs (these disengage the wheels from the axles) on the Rincon like you might find on full size 4WD's, thus the wheels are always engaged to the front axles & differential. When in 2wd, you are turning the wheels and axles through the front differential, but without the driving force from the engine/ trans. When you engage 4wd then the transmission engages the front drive shaft and drives the front wheels. However the Rincon does not really have 4wd. The front differential will direct the power to the wheel that has least traction or is spinning (problem with common differential). Only the installation of a locker will provide true 4wd.

·
Registered
25 Posts
SXFlyer how do you like your gearless loc? Does it make the steering hard? I watched The Weather Channel all weekend hoping to get a glimpse of Rincon's saving the day in Florida. Hope Ivan is as kind to you as Francis was.

·
Registered
807 Posts
MOTO...The gearless locker makes the Rincon unstoppable. Easy to install with basic mechanical skills.

·
Registered
25 Posts
It looks like it locks the front end all the time. Does the steering get hard? Thanks for any input you have, I don't really need the locker very often but it might be nice to have sometimes.

·
Registered
807 Posts
The gearless only engages when you switch into 4wd. When you switch back into 2wd it disengages. Also when locked it still allows differential wheel travel for tight turns preventing wheel hop & skidding. The steering is stiffer when the locker is engaged in 4wd, but the same as stock in 2wd. You will usually only need the locking action when in slippery or low traction conditions, which doesn't make the harder steering noticeable.

·
Registered
201 Posts
SX- I have done some reading on the locker, and was wondering what kind of machining needs to be to install it?

·
Registered
807 Posts
Caz- The installation directions are a little confusing and vague, but OK.(make sure to have the Rincon Service manual on hand) The description and photo of the machining mod is very good. Take it to a machine shop!!! Don't try to grind it. Any machine shop can do it for about 10-20 bucks. Should take ten minutes. I wrote a couple of posts in here detailing the installation. Run a search. Be mindful of torquing the bolts....after all, it is aluminum. You will like the difference. It makes a dramatic improvement.

·
Premium Member
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hey thanks for the input guys -- now I have another question that may be related. The bike is at my Dad's ranch right now. He called today saying that it was pulling severely to the right. So much so that he got exhausted on a 7 mile ride just holding the bars straight.

I had him do the basic checks (tire pressure, obvious toe problems, visual inspection) with nothing noticeable. He says bike in in 2wd.

Any ideas??

·
Super Moderator
6,751 Posts
Hey Woodman

Check the right brake or make sure something is not wedged behind the wheel to drag it. Seems like the Brake is the problem to me.

Cheers

Oilcan

·
Registered
807 Posts
re-adjust the front brakes. check the lines to make sure they are not pinched preventing the brakes from releasing.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Your right Sxflyer you gotta have one to no the difference and it makes a big improvment on the rincon.I wouldn't go without one now.

·
Premium Member
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Update on the "steering pull" question -- We recently put a new tire on the rear after a major puncture of the sidewall. Old stocker with 800 miles on the other side with probably about 25% of the original tread left. Dealer sez that the mis-matched tires are causing the problem. Can this be true?

·
Registered
409 Posts
Where can you buy a gearless locker?

·
Registered
409 Posts
Where can you buy a gearless locker?

·
Registered
409 Posts
sorry about the double posts.