Honda Rincon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A while back I responded to a thread about needing more power and suggested mixing some model airplane fuel and gas most probably ignored it but I have done it in the past and decide to mix up some homemade brew for the rincon to see what happens heres the results first I put on one of those 2' exhaust tips to help her breath better then I ordered a dynojet kit I am using the 150 main and the clip on the 4th groove [ second one from the Bottom ] the mixture screw is at 2=1/2 turns my fuel mixture is 2 ounces nitroethane which I purchased from FHS supply in south carolina it is a custom blend of 80% nitroethane [not nitromethane] and 20% methanol then I purchased some glow fuel at a hobby store [ only 5% nitromethane 18% castor and synthetic oil blend] the rest methanol I really just needed it for the methanol methanol has twice the power by weight than gasoline the nitroethane is about 53% oxygen in liquid form what all this does is effectively turbocharge your engine I also added one ounce of klotz synthetic oil as a lubricant to the valves because a byproduct of this fuel is nitric acid which will rust valves however this is a very conservative mixture I do not anticipat rusting but just in case the oil will help by the way this is all per gallon the results on my 2004 rincon are quite impressive my bike would not do a wheelie before with its 27' 589 ATP's I weigh 210 pounds and have a tamarack rack up front with winch and fuel cans and a rear rack with coolers and tools and other crap when I punch the throttle now the wheels come straight up and keep going the fuel mileage is basically the same because it take less throttle opening for a given speed than before although it flows more fuel if we can find a way to advance the timing the results will really be spectacular along with a free flowing exhaust but for now this is quite an improvement one thing to remember though is the nitrethane absorbs moisture so you have to mix your fuel and use it the same day otherwise the nitro evaporates and the bike will run rich anyway a little experimenting will yield surprisin results if anyone needs more info email me and I will be glad to hel[
2 ounces nitroethane 80% nitro 20% methanol
2 ounces R/C model glowfuel 5% nitromethane 17% oil remainder methanol
1 ounce klots or similar two stroke synthetic or castor oil
and 2 heat range cooler spark plug good luck

·
Registered
143 Posts
Mooniac,
Why would you risk destroying your Rincon? Better yet....Why? What do you gain from this?

John

·
Registered
322 Posts
Why do you think you are gaining anything from fuel with higher octane ratings? Fuels with higher octane do not improve power on a stock machine with stock compression. Besides, the Rincon only has a 9.2:1 compression ratio, so anything more than 87 octane is just a waste of money. That's just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Be careful and watch your temp I tried something close to that on my raptor and my temp light was on for less than a minute next thing I know the motor was destroyed. I think I'm gonna stick with 93 octane pump gas from now on.

·
Registered
371 Posts
You gotta be kidding!!

·
Registered
201 Posts
I need to find a Chemistry teacher just to figure out what all those big words words mean. LOL

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yes those quantites are per gallon and the reason you get more power is simple methanol has twice the btu's as gasoline nothing to do with octane I use premium however the nitroethane is over 50% oxygen which enables you to burn more fuel it in effect is like a turbocharge boost

·
Registered
60 Posts
let me tell you a little story..........i did the same thing with an old lawn boy 2 cycle mower, poured a bout a pop can full of 20% nitro in the tank, ran great, till it melted the piston.....i racew rc cars, alot, and i would not recomend this idea....unless you want to rebuild the motor...

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have no actual problem with what mooniac did; experimentings a great thing. I would ask one thing however- GET THE FRIGGIN PERIOD ON YOUR KEYBOARD FIXED. My God, I think you just set a record for longest sentence. Just kidding.

·
Registered
322 Posts
"yes those quantites are per gallon and the reason you get more power is simple methanol has twice the btu's as gasoline nothing to do with octane I use premium however the nitroethane is over 50% oxygen which enables you to burn more fuel it in effect is like a turbocharge boost "

Fuel is fuel. Oxygen is oxygen. The only way your going to get more oxygen into your cylinder than your engine NATURALLY aspirates, is to add forced induction (supercharger, turbocharger) or Nitrous Oxide. Nitrous oxide adds oxygen because it's made of 36% oxygen whereas the atmosphere is made of only 20% oxygen. So, your physically "stuffing" more oxygen into your engine than it naturally pulls from the atmosphere. A FUEL can not do this.

·
Registered
11 Posts
It has nothing to do with oxygen, Yellow650. As he stated earlier, it is the BTU's contained in the fuel, or stated more simple, the potential energy per cc of fuel. Having raced RC cars earlier in my life, and having performed the fabled lawn mower experment mentioned above (with the same disastrous results) I can attest to the above statements. Basically, your short term is great. But long term, kiss that motor goodbye.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
well I hate to be argumentative so I will let you do the research and see why this works but your statement is incorrect I will leave it at that

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
one thing to remember whenever modifying anything is to use moderation you guys that blew up the lawnmower I have 2 theories on that. a pop can full to a tank is probably a 2-1 ratio way too much it will run extremely lean and yes burn up the engine also on most lawwnmower engines if not all they have no spark advance which is crucial because when mixing nitro products with gas the flame speed is slower and the burn longer at the ratio I am running which is roughly 32-1 I do not anticipate any problems. the key is moderation if you use more and jet accordingly it will be much more powerful but then you risk ruining your motor. I am going on a 300 mile trip this coming weekend and will let you know how it turned out next week although I do not anticipate any problems. there is much info on the net look it up and learn from it and you can enjoy a moderate increase in power too. there are ready made products out there which require no mixing just pour and go I just like to know exactly whats in mine regards T B [ I tried to use a few periods this time ]

·
Registered
130 Posts
Y650R...

Quote "Fuel is fuel. Oxygen is oxygen. The only way your going to get more oxygen into your cylinder than your engine NATURALLY aspirates" end quote...How do you explain "Oxygenated Fuel" at the pump during summer months to control emissions??

Mooniac...

Now if we can just get you to use capitals after the periods...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Geez ......... I didn't know we had so many English teachers on this site. as for the fuel quote nitroethane is known as a mono-propellant which means it carries its own oxygen supply. You have heard of liquid oxygen right? well nitroethane and nitromethane each contain over 50% oxygen in their chemical makeup. So if you add more fuel [ bigger jets] and add some liquid oxygen.....
get the idea its really quite simple no voodoo or witchcraft. do a little research on dragster engines and their fuels to get the idea, same thing here just on a much smaller [ and safer scale] this trick obviously is not for everyone but for those with the inclination it works great. I believe I am seeing around a 15-20 % increase in low end power and maybe 10% on the top.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Moon, I agree with you on the oxy issue. I guess my main agreement is that it is not for everyone, but if one is up to the risk, go for it. Problem is, half the folks that would try it, would go crying to Honda that "It just blew up; I don't know what happened...I get tired of a bunch of clowns knowingly tearing the shit out of stuff and then go sniveling to Honda for warranty work. If you are going to play then pay...be a man about it.

As for the English lesson....nothing is being graded! :) I know that it is easier to type that way, but man, it is hard as Fuc* to read. I normally wouldn't even spend the time on it, but it caught my attention and here I am...
"Caught like a rat in a trap"

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hey Pablo you hit that one on the head. It sounds like you work for a dealer and have heard plenty of them stories I bet. For my dollar this is the most bang for the buck and it is easily reversible it just costs maybe a dollar more per gallon of fuel, but it beats boring and stroking and all them other big dollar mods if you are on a tight budget. About $50 in chemicals will get you about 50 gallons of the fuel mixture. One other warning I would like to point out though, don't go sniffing the exhaust you will get a major headache that last for many hours.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Hey guys. It's relative. If it's used for racing.....it belongs in racing. Bone up on the technical knowledge your'll need and race away. Me, I'll just stick to saving a few bucks and taking a m/sec. longer to reach the other side of the mudpuddle. The key here is "reaching" the other side.......LOL

1 - 20 of 42 Posts