Honda Rincon Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my new fuel pump arrived finally. In the shop manual it says nothing of draining the gas tank before swapping it out. And in a few posts I read it said I didn't need to.

Is this true? Should I drain it? Should I plug it?

Thanks

·
Registered
77 Posts
If the fuel pump is accessed through the bottom of the tank (not sure) , then you will need to drain the fuel I'm thinking. More than likely draining the fuel first, would be wise.Good luck

·
Super Moderator
6,513 Posts
The tank has a strainer on the bottom. It would make sense to remove the tank, drain it , clean the strainer then swap your pump. That way the line should be clear of any debris, and you will get full flow from tank to the pump.
With the tank off, you will have better access to the pump as well.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Great advice. Thanks. My pump is not in the tank. Its a sub fuel tank/fuel pump.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Got it all in. Took your advice drained the tank cleaned the screen. Only set back is the fuel feed line snap on connector broke in half when i released the green lock tabs. I ordered a new one, should have it in a few days. I tought about taping it then said....nope.....haha

·
Premium Member
467 Posts
Yeah they recommend you replace those tabs anytime you disconnect those lines.

A tool like lisle 22850 can be handy for removing the fuel line w/o draining the tank.

Lastly, I’d also replace the filter. Earlier 680’s had a round filter in the bottom of the housing. That was later updated to a rectangular filter that sits vertical. They had a kit that includes a new pump housing and new style filter to upgrade...

Reactions: Oilcan

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Stupid question probably, but what does the end of the breather hose not connected to the pump go to? They show it using a clamp. When I took the old one off it wasn't hooked to anything.......

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok, so the fuel feed line is still backordered not sure if ill get it this week.

Quick question.....can I use the one with the cracked end and just tape it on? The housing that clips around the green push connector on the fuel pump has a crack down it. Can I put it on and tape it for the weekend? My family and I are going to our camp this weekend to ride. I never thought it would take over a week to get a hose.

·
Premium Member
5,764 Posts
Your asking for trouble if you tape it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I know. I just don't want to have to tell my kids we can't atv this weekend. I'm praying it comes in on time.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Got the hose in. Went right on is running well.

So another question....is there a fuel shutoff on a 2007 680 rincon?

·
Super Moderator
6,513 Posts
No fuel shut off. You can , however add a shut-off valve (petcock) as it is easily plumbed into the feed line off the bottom of the tank....where you can also add a pre-filter for another $5.00

·
Premium Member
467 Posts
Sorry, didn’t see the additional replies.

The 3rd line on the pump housing is a vent, which would run to a fitting on the upper part of the tank. Air has to have a way out of the housing for fuel to be able to get in.

Glad you got the new hose. I hate to miss a riding opportunity, but I’d be a bit sketched out by taping a fuel line.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I ended up finding the top vent. Strange how it was not hooked up when I removed it. The hose wasn't even nearly long enough to reach.
I notice all my Hondas are cold blooded. If the rincon wasnt warmed up, could that cause it to stall after running it hard?

·
Premium Member
467 Posts
In my experience the EFI Rincon generally runs well immediately after a cold start, but the transmission needs warm oil before it starts shifting properly.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts