Honda Rincon Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I sure hope Honda comes out of there creative hole in '06! I just rode the the new Suzuki King Quad and all I can say is WOW! I used to think my Rinny had the best ride for a big sport-ute. I can no longer say that. With E.F.I., I.R.S., High/Low and Diff Lock, I believe it is truly the one to beat. I'm gonna wait to see if Honda is gonna get on the ball in '06 and offer what the competition already has. If they don't, I will not wait for '07 and my new ride will be a King Quad! I'll keep the Rinny for my wife!
I sure wish we could contact Honda R & D and let them know loyalty only goes so far when they are being left in the dust when it comes to what riders want!

·
Registered
424 Posts
I am pretty much in the same boat as you. Nobody loves Honda more than I do, but at some point I want to step it up in the performance department, and Honda doesn't currently build anything to truly compete with other big bores in this department. Honestly, low range and diff lock don't really do it for me. I would like EFI, front disc brakes, more power throughout the RPM range, more top speed, and adjustable suspension. I would buy one of these in a heartbeat.

Are you saying the King Quad has a better ride than the Rinny? I haven't ridden a Kinq Quad yet so I can't say, but I don't think anything can beat the ride of the Rinny, although other OEM's may be able to equal it.

Let's not forget that the Rincon was introduced back in mid-2002 and had been in development for quite a while before that. The way Honda tests their ATV's before releasing them, their probably wasn't as big a demand to install all these features on the Rincon when they started the project. Obviously machines introduced in the last few months will have many more features than a machine that was being developed 4-5 years ago.

Having said that, there is absoluely no more excuse for Honda not to incorporate most of these features on their next flagship model. They have seen what all other OEM's have brought to the table and what customers now expect from a big bore machine.

I will also wait until next September to see what Honda has up their sleeve before deciding on my next ATV. With over 4100 miles of basically trouble free operation on my Rincon, I'm not in any real hurry to switch brands; I feel I owe it to Honda to see how they respond to other big bores. However, I will give them only one chance and if they don't step up to the plate, I will probably switch over to a King Quad.

One thing though, what if the King Quad ends up being unreliable and plagued with problems? You know what they say, the grass always looks greener on the other side...

·
Registered
338 Posts
i agree with atv tech 100%....after 4137 miles i feel i can wait to see what honda unloads for 06...

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I didn't get the chance to ride the King Quad fast through trails, but off camber, power and feel is very much Rincon like. I think what takes it over the top in the ride dept., are the adjustable shocks. The aforementioned features are awesome too. Yes, it could be a bust, but their Vinson sure isn't and if the King Quad is anything like their original King Quad 300, reliability will be Honda-like! From the reports I read, Suzuki also put alot of R & D into this machine, starting a few years ago.

·
Premium Member
2,164 Posts
A buddy of mine bought one, after 11 miles the transmission exploded reverse gear. Suzuki took it back to California to investigate and gave him a new one. I haven't ridden it yet but he says that the power is good but the rind is nothing like the Rincon.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Back in 1986 I bought a Suzuki 250 Quad racer and my cousin bought a Honda 250R. Both brand new. Today the Honda still runs perfect and is worth more now than it was new and the guy I sold the Suzuki to junked it years ago. That may or may not mean something to anyone looking to jump to another brand, but I will be happy with my Rincon for years and happy to wait for what is next.

·
Registered
409 Posts
The KQ and others sound good and maybe even easy to get excited about, but then I get around to thinking about the belt drive and it leads me back to the Rincon. I just have trouble gettting past the belt drives.

·
Registered
807 Posts
I agree with Duramax. My buddy bought a Bombardier and it has IRS & rides great and is really spunky. It lags starting out & takes getting used to. But as soon as we rode it in some deep water with the Rincons.......there went the belt. Another guy wanted to sell me a Prarie 650 and it looked in perfect condition. The price was a steal, but he told me he needed to get the belt fixed. Always the BELTS with other quads. I'm always reading how others are always trying to seal their belt compartments or suggest how to avoid slipping the belt. What a pain. I'll stick with the Honda.

·
Registered
518 Posts
I'm with Duramax and SXFlyer. Its the belt that lets the others down. I don't understand why the others continue with this snowmobile technology when Honda have shown them the alternative.
My riding buddy has a Sportsman 500 and in general, he loves it. But he also likes water and mud riding and curses that damn belt every time it gets wet and leaves him stranded (which is just about every time he goes in the mud or water). It has become such a pain that he is intent on switching to a Rinny as soon as his funds allow it !

·
Premium Member
8,119 Posts
I have owned several Hondas. They very seldom redesign a product until at least 5 years except for the competion models. Foreman 7 years, rubicon 5 years, rancher 5 years, 400 ex who knows. Bet we will not see anything but upgrades until 2007 late 06 intro. Hope I am wrong because I will buy the Rincons replacement from Honda as soon as they will take my deposit. The Rincon is great, I just do not want another newer Honda passing me.

The rincon is so far ahead of everthing else except for brakes(if you do mud) and maybe some power. Give me a break, who would want fuel injection, if it means buying it in a quad with dinosaur technology like a "belt drive".If you take an educated close look at the Honda's chasis you have to almost go to formala 1 cars to see something as well done.

·
Registered
338 Posts
way ahead??????????????

remember for more money(list to list)we did not get a locker,adjustable suspension,less ground clearance and a little less power...oh yeah we did get great handling and reliability....i would not say anyone is way ahead,i think all manufacturers are neck and neck,but others do offer more features for less $$$ and are just as reliable....

all this talk about belts is so funny,i used to think the same way but after the last 8000 miles of riding(3 years)i will have to call that all bullshit..i have only seen 1 belt slip in all our rides and that was on a brand new grizzly that they sunk all the way to the handle bars,so it actually came in the snorkle not the case..not a design problem,more like operator error..oh i forgot we don't abuse these things..its never our fault,blame the manufacturer..

if your buddies 500 is leaking that easy it must be an older 500 or he needs to check the housing to make sure it is sealed properly,about 3-4 years ago polaris improved the belt housing and i have never seen one of the new ones leak..and we ride with ALOT of polaris's(how they have not become #1 in sales is mind boggling,thats all we seem to see anymore)..i hate polaris's but i have to speak up when we i feel they are getting unjust treatment,there belt system is not their weak link anymore...tie rods,fan motors ball joints maybe but not the belt and oh yeah the have a lifetime warranty on the belt.(do we,on any part of our rincon trans?)NO..

the only reason i will not get the KQ is if it proves to be unreliable(not likely)suzuki has a good rep or if honda does something special with the rincon(they have till this summer and i will make my decision,the reason,we go out west and ride at very high altitudes and i am tired of rejetting)..the belt is the least of my worries,now the radiator being so exposed has me asking questions,but so far i have heard nothing buy good things...they actually say it cleans easier than ours,no big surprise there.

one other thing,read the specs they copied the chassis specs from the rincon pretty close(actually improved with more shock travel) and so far all who have rode both say it handles as good as our rincons but with more power..quit being so narrow minded,i love my rincon and have loved all my hondas(4 of them) but there are other options out there that are just as good now(not always true,until now)...thats the joy of this country we have so many choices...none are right or wrong just right for YOU...

·
Registered
424 Posts
I agree with most of what you said Toolman. However, I want to see how well other big bores can take 4000+ miles of punishment. I know that every Polaris I have seen to date has failed miserably in high mileage riding. Right now, the King Quad seems to be the total package; it is very much a Rincon on steroids. It's like Suzuki bought a Rincon, studied it from end to end and then improved on it in almost every way. If it can handle some abusive riding, it'll be my next ATV. Unless it is unreliable that is... And unless Honda builds something bigger than the Rincon...

Hey Toolman, the Honda dealer show isn't until early next September. Will you wait that long before making a decision or are you hoping for an early release? I doubt Honda will announce anything in the summer...

Personally, I will wait until the dealer show in September. If Honda doesn't at least announce plans for a future bigger bore, or improved Rincon, I will be purchasing a new KQ the following spring.

·
Registered
338 Posts
i am hoping that the rumours will be like the rincon,around june or so then release it in sept... by then the suzuki will have either proven itself to be good or not...honda could make this real easy by doing nothing at all,but i doubt it..at the very least they would put the disc brakes on it like the foreman and rubicon,but i already have that..

i agree with the polaris remark...high mileage in our area of the country(tn,ky.wv)is were they definately fail to compare to all the hondas i have had..
but i also here alot of good from suzuki owners of the past..

when i read the specs on the KQ i thought just like you,they bought a rincon studied it and added everything to make it better..almost the perfect quad,but since that doesn't really exist,they got close for now...i wonder what yamaha has going on,its about time to update the ole grizz..06 could get really interesting...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts