Honda Rincon Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just bought this Rincon with 1900 miles on it for $500. I was advised that the transmission had issues. I replaced the battery and cleaned the carb and changed the oil and oil filter. Used Honda parts and filled according to the manual. When I run it it seems to run fine and shift ok either in ESP or auto mode. Last night after starting it up, I rode it down the street. I stopped, put it into neutral then reverse. No issues. Then into drive. It would not move forward. It would creap forward with high throttle. I then put it into neutral then reverse with no issues. Then back into drive. Same thing. I then sat there for about a minute with a pretty high idle to sort of charge the brand new battery I thought might be low. Then put into drive and it worked ok.

Questions are: I doubt the change came off the oil pump then jumped back on, My battery is charged and brand new, I doubt it's blown o-rings as they usually deform once they blow only not to repair themselves. I also doubt its linkage as it does go into drive and rev. So what would cause this intermittent issue? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
6,458 Posts
oil pressure. After your warm is acts up correct? run it for 5 minutes. let it sit for 2 minutes so the warm thin oil can drain back down. remove, then insert the dip stick , don't screw it in, just dip it in and remove to see your oil level. from what your saying, I suspect you have very low oil level (the revving gave you a wee bit of pressure but it leached off, either because you have small cracks in an oil ring or just not enough of the GN4 honda dino oil.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok my oil level is perfect! I highly doubt this is due to o-ring failure when they blow they blow specially at 125psi. Also this issue can occur either hot or cold. But, only forward is effected. When it does not engage the gear indicator displays "- -" and it isn't blinking. I'm thinking the shift fork is bent. Reason is I watched the shaft when I put in into gear. Both neutral, forward and reverse. When it goes into drive it isn't traveling all the way into gear sometimes. Eventually it does and the pin drops into the hole on the handle assembly. Other times it the pin will sit between neutral and drive and the lower arm hasn't rotated fully. But, regardless it usually goes into gear even with the pin between the two stops. But when it doesn't I get the false drive. Make sense?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, after the OVERWHELMING support on the forum, I think I have figured it out on my own. I had the same issue yesterday, I checked the gear position switch and there was no continuity when in Drive but when in neutral and Reverse it checked out fine. New switch is on order.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am having the same issue. It goes into gear, you can feel it engage. But it wont move forward or backwards. So I took it to a local shop where he said that the oil pump is bad. Not going to pay him $3000 to repair it. He said he has to pull the motor, replace the piston rings, all the o-rings in the entire drive train and the oil pump. He said its not worth the time to just replace the pump since he believes that the entire system has starved of oil. This whole thing started about 2 years ago. It would move forward for about 50 ft, then stop. I could put it in reverse for about 10 ft, then move forward. I thought that it was an issue since I put tracks on it for the winter. About 3 weeks ago, my son was on it and while out in the woods, it just stopped moving. Am I looking a just an oil pump issue, chain off or something a whole lot worse? Its not worth 3k to repair in my opinion. It is an 04 Rincon. Any advise? Direction?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am having the same issue, have you found the problem with your machine? I am hopeful you might can save what little hair I haven't pulled out yet.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My Foreman with auto trans got run low on oil, making whine, not moving. Dealer said needs new tranny. Didn't think it was worth the money to put in a new tranny with my high mileage machine, so I drained the recommended 10w30 and replaced with thicker SAE 30. It works great, have been using it that way for over 2 years (I don't put on a lot of miles). I figured: What do I have to lose?

·
Premium Member
5,758 Posts
There are three things that come to mind. The gear position sensor is bad, the valve body is gummed up and the internal pistons in it are not moving correctly or the internal clutches in the transmission are not engaging or disengaging as they should. The last can also be caused by the valve body. If a clutch does not disengage as it should it is like being in two gears at once and the atv will not move. This all assumes that the shift cable is adjusted correctly, the oil level is correct and there isn't a bent shift fork.

Reactions: Oilcan
1 - 10 of 10 Posts