Honda Rincon Forum banner

Going nuts! ...Rincon or Grizzly

2K views 17 replies 6 participants last post by  Tootall 
#1 ·
Hi all,
I've been researching which ATV to buy and have narrowed it down to the Rincon and the Grizzly.

The selection for me all comes down to the following issue and I hope someone can just say "buy the Rincon"....

As I understand it, the Rincon has no real engine breaking below 5-8 mph. Is this a major problem if I plan on riding hills/trails such as those in West Virginia (i.e., Hatfield McCoy Trail and similar hills). I've been reading a lot of the posts on this issue, but I don't have a good reference as to what people consider steep (too steep for the Rincon with no engine breaking)...

This will be my first ATV, but I ride snowmobiles, motocross...I don't plan on getting too radical with the ATV but going up and down faily steep hills is the norm in these parts!

What should I do?

Thanks

#2 ·
My Rinny lives at Hatfield and Eastern Ky. Below 10 mph you will need the brakes. On the Grizzly, the engine will hold you back. This is one shortcoming of the Rinny that most peolple overcome fairly quickly. Ask yourself what you want to be on when your truck is 40 miles away, do not worry about the hills.

#4 ·
You are welcome. If you dont need the IRS, which I do because of a bad back, I would get the new foreman 500. It looks like the Rinny, and is a more basic and likely more durable design. My old 450S beat me to death but was tough as nails.The Rincon is a serious Cadillac of a ride. Lets trail ride when you make your purchase. I hit this site almost daily but am about to take vacation. No computer at home, its too easy to have to do work on it, so it's in my office only.

#5 ·
That's what I'm doing today...working at home...Would like to go riding this spring. I know the area (SW WV) fairly well...Have a couple of big roadway projects in the area (King Coal Highway, Coalfields Expressway, Shawnee Highway)...Will make HM more accessible from I-77 and Corridor G (119)..In about 10 years...

I plan on going to Galliopolis Riverside Honda - No tax if out of state) and picking one up in mid-January. Should be able to swing a good deal then. Will get an 05 Ricon (back is still sore from last year's snowmobiling). When do the 06's come out? Should I change out the tires from the get go? Say ITP Mudlites, 26-10-10's and 12s before I pick it up? I should probably get 2.5 Warn as well. BUT...before that, my wife is due with our first child January 3rd! So first things first...

#6 ·
I tried the Ohio thing and still got a better deal here in Chas. @ Dohms Cycle.
Let em give it a whirl first because if something does happen to the bike, it's easy to drop off. I know a few guys there and they are very helpful.

#8 ·
The stock tires are fine and ride great, but are not good for mud. I ran mine for 1200 miles when they were shot, then switched to ITP ATR Holeshots. You want to stick with a radial in my opinion fot the best ride, although mud lights are very popular. The ATRs have 1400 miles on them and have better than 70% tread left. They are also 6 ply with better sidewalls than the stockers.

#10 ·
I run slime (extra) in mine and have never had a flat. I carry a plug kit and 6 CO2 cartriges in my front compartment. Two co2s are required per tire repair. I have sold the kit twice to my new friends on the trail who had a flat. I would have given them the repairs, but both fought me to pay for my stuff. I plan on getting a small folding mountain bike pump for topping off the tires in the future. Also carry a Motion Pro all in one tool and water tahts it. My racks are always empty, I loose to much stuff the way I ride.

#12 ·
Madlar,

Go see Adrian for the bike and ask for "Nutter" when you are ready for the extra's....Tell them both that Joe from Bert Wolfe sent ya....See "Nutter" first and he will fix you up. He does parts and service.

BTW.....I have Mud-lites on mine and a younger brother that has ATR's on his. The ATR's are easier to steer and get great traction on hardpack but if you plan on mudding, the lites are awesome. If anyone gets behind you, they won't be there for long. Needles to say, they clean themselves very well....Good luck.

#14 ·
Buy the rincon!! If you have some time look at some atv videos on the web. Every time a grizzly goes into water they have to drain the belt housing. As for engine braking, I had the privledge of riding a polaris 600 twin last week in the rain. Going down hill the back end just locks up and drags sideways, I had to hit the gas to let it not drag. On the Rincon you just use the brakes and have alot more control. Plus you will have the most comfortable best riding machine going. Roger

#15 ·
Yep!!

Next time you're in, stop by Toyota parts. I'm always here (at least it seems that way).

#16 ·
Grizzlies have real bad rep for tearing up axles. Could be a real bad situation at H-M or other area of steep hills.

I bought mine at Honda of Prestonsberg, KY. They had a lot better deal than anywhere in Ohio. But it was an '03 bought in '04, too.

#18 ·
Corndog- I carry a 12 volt compressor, buy it at Canadian tire for $25.00 canadian. With a plug kit and the compressor I find it is all I need. I had a flat on my old 450es cut a side wall on a rock. I plugged it and continued riding for 3 days as I went on a long weekend camping trip. Twice a day I had to run the compressor but it kept me going and the compressors are quite small.
hope this helps
Jim

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.