Honda Rincon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
And I am loving it! Guys that know me know I been lookin at everything

forever it seems like well yesterday I finally bought a quad.

A new 05 red Rinny was my choice and I couldn't be happier. I looked at
everything and test rode everything I was interested in. I just came from
the Kawai place and went on down to the Honda place and got my Rincon.

I am very pleased and surprsied actually by the performance right out
of the box. Maybe I got a fast one or something but this quad has ample
amounts of power on tap to break the tires loose at any speed. It is even broken in yet.The best
part is it is hands down the best looking, best made and the Honda
quality shines.

The quad powerslides easy and while going up some steep winding gravel
roads yesterday the rear end was broke loose the whole time and I could
shift the quad anyway I wanted. The rearend felt light as a feather and very conrtrolable.

I am impressed with this package and the brakes also work awesome in slowing the quad quickly and
the engine braking does help to slow down the quad also. I know I made the
right choice FOR ME. That is what is important to choose what you want
and forget all the talk. Go look and ride yourself and you will know.
No belts and cheap looking builds and plastics are only another plus to
the Honda Rincon. Its fit and finish are the best I have seen period.

I like everyhting and the only thing I have noticed is that if WOT is
applied SOMETIMES it may sputter for a second and hesitate. I have been
told the dyno jet kit is the cure for this tiny ailment. In all honesty
it is a blast to ride and other than the hesitation I really can't tell
much difference between it and a P650 I bought once upon a time and
returned. I believe the performance of these 05s is a little better and
more reliable to and also it doesn't shake as abad at idle as some others I've seen. I like the shaking at idle it is not a problem.
I know this quad will last me for years and years.

A Brute I looked at earlier in the day sputtered terribley in the lot
while just mashing the gas and not moving. The power was good but as
with the Prairie thats all I liked about it.Also didn't want to turn
around and have to buy new wheels/tires also for the Brute.
There is more to me than power to consider and thanks to everyone here
for all the info.

The ride is awesome as well. Not soft and spungy or real plush as some have reported the Sportsmans to be but controled. Not too soft but a great balance of sportiness and comfort. You see the bumps or rough terrian but it is numbed through the suspension in away that all harshness is taken off.

I feel this is the best overall or all around package for me in an Atv.

I am gonna be adding some additions to the Rinny soon

·
Registered
409 Posts
Congratulations ATVBoy! I know you have been looking for a long time and I think you made a great choice. :)

·
Registered
85 Posts
Congratulations ATVBoy!

·
Registered
130 Posts
Lemme' say that with my Rincon coming up on two thousand miles, it runs better all the time. The Dynojet and the ITP ATR’s turned it into a REAL Sport/Utility unit. I continue to watch for the problems aired out here, but it has none of them....low power, stalling, overheating (Lord knows how hot Las Vegas Gets!!), no top end and so on. I rode a friends Grizz the other day after he installed a DJ. It is no doubt very quick, maybe quicker than my Rincon, we won't know until we have a chance to race. But, the thing that struck me was how rough or how "Tinny" it felt. It is hard to explain, but the Rincon feels solid and the Grizz does not. It was like going from a Camaro to a Cadillac. Slam the doors and the sheet metal rattles instead of closing with a solid “Clunk”. The Grizz just did not have the ride quality either. Here in the west, 100+ mile rides are normal and you may be in the saddle for 12 hours. Say what you want, but at the end of the day, I’ll stick with the Rincon.

·
Premium Member
1,963 Posts
Well said Pablo,

That's exactly what I've been saying. The ride is unmatched.

·
Registered
282 Posts
I also have ridden both the rincon and grizzly. I am not aware of this "Tinny" feel that Pablo is talking about but I definitly noticed the increased power felt by the grizzly. My wife told me that she is more comforatable riding on the back of the grizzly than the rincon??? Odd, as everyone says the rincon has better ride. She also enjoys driving the grizzly more as she claims the steering is eaiser than the Rincon.

These are not bashes, mearly things we have noticed in owning/riding both units for several miles (400 on Rincon,50 on Grizzly). I did notice that while going over a very steep and rough rocky spot downhill that my father on the Rincon was lower to the ground and therefore didn't get tipsy like i did on the grizzly (ie. I was on 3 wheels as he was on 4). I belive this might be that he weighs 260lbs and I only weigh 180...therefore his suspension was "squashed" down more...But, in going up the hills I left him angry as he was having to give tons of throttle while I was creeping up..

OH, also, we hit a really nasty spot going uphill where we got hung "high centered" and only had 3 wheels on the ground. I couldnt go anywhere in 4x4...so I engaged the locker and imideatly went ahead. Dad, with the rincon however, required him to be winched over this obsticle as he couldn't get the front tire to grab...he was essently in a 2x4 because the front tire was spinning in the air...

AGAIN!!! this is just my honest opinions...there are places that the rincons lower stance helped and times where my higher ground clearance and locker helped....to each his own but i LOVE my grizzly MUCH more than the rincon

·
Registered
613 Posts
Congrates on your toy. I've been really happy with mine too.

·
Registered
15 Posts
congrats, you'll never regret it.Was that a grizzly owner? Too bad.

·
Premium Member
1,963 Posts
That's it. It's settled. I am going to sell my Rincon and run right down and by me a Grizzly...... Yea right!

·
Registered
280 Posts
The Grizz maybe be better at going up hills and over obsticales, but try some high speed trail riding on a stock one and you will wish you were back on a Rinny. I have a riding buddy that flipped one trying to stay with my Rinny.
Fortunately, he was throw clear and not seriously hurt(bruises, abrasions and one rather serious gash from a stick), but his Grizz ended up smacking a tree and is not in very good shape. Thank goodness he was thrown off it. If feel partly responsible for his accident, since I knew he wasn't going to be able to stay with me but kept on pushing the limit anyway. I will not do that again.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I myself picked up a new Rincon last week. All I can say is HOLY SH!T, this thing is a blast to ride. I was 99.9995999% sure I wanted the Rincon, but just to make sure I test rode the grizz, p700, & brute. Hands down I chose the Rincon. It was awesome, I don't see how people can say lack of power. As this is my first impression, I only have about 50 or so miles on it. I don't think I could be more impressed with this bike, by the way I know for a fact it'll do 28 mph because I saw it myself. CHAD

·
Registered
280 Posts
I think when most people talk about lack of power in the Rinny it is low end, very low end, and probably with a cold engine. The tranny does not deliver power to well right off idle, and cold it is even worse (at least mine is that way).
I notice when first taking off, up a 30 degree slope right behind my house, the Rinny requires a lot of gas to get up it. However, returning 1/2 hour later it zips right up it, with a lot less throttle.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Honda4life, you think that's impressive, I had my Rincon up to 30mph last week! Just kidding.

I got my '05 Rincon about a month ago. I've got about 150 miles on it now. I think it has pretty brisk acceleration, and it's not even broke in all the way yet. I wonder if Honda changed anything on the '05 model over the earlier ones in terms of power, suspension, carburetion, etc.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I think they are exactally like the 04's. I don't see why people complain about top end speed. My ole foreman, would do 49 mph. I only had it that fast a couple times, and was satisfied with that. I guess one day the new Rincon will see the top end, but if it dosn't thats ok too. I am very satisfied with my purchace. CHAD

·
Registered
75 Posts
After exchanging rides numerous times with some buddies of mine in particular the 700 prarie and the 660 grizzly and the 700 Polaris we have all come to the conclusion that the Rincon at this time stands 2nd to none, as it possess's the overall feel and stability that all others will strive to accomplish in the coming months only to have Honda come forth to and match what the competition only wishes to achieve.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well after riding mine somemore I agree with most of what has been said here and I have said myself included in the first post. BUT there are problems here to that I am now seeing after riding the bike more extensivly in the very rugged terrian here.

The biggest of which is this, NO ENIGNE BRAKING and I mean it is gonna take some getting used to. I am re evauluating everything right now and already have ordered a K&N kit and air filter for the quad to see if it would help the other problem. And that is, as already mentioned the lack of Low end grunt and the hesitation or lag. I had some probelms with it also as it is very difficult down hilling with this bike and that lack of low also hurts here uphilling very step grades or short inclines where a sudden burst of low end power is needed to crawl or lug up steep inclines quickly.

It does not have it. I found it somewhat difficult to up hill and crawl in the rocky washed out terrian here in the mountains. The bike is top quality as far as build and finish. The bike has great power as I stated before and speed is nice and torquey. As matter of fact it does better at speed than it does at slow trail ridding or crawling. I am pleased with everything except for the poor or should I say no Engine Braking at low speed period and the low end throttle response. The quad does brake when slowing at higher speeds but once below 9mph the tran disengages and the bike is basicly in neutrel and simply freewheels.

Very dangerous and don't give me it has brakes crap. It sure does and good ones but they need to be used in conjuction with the Engine Brake to maintain a safe and comfortable desent speed. With the Rincon you have nothing and then lock your brakes and any quad will simply skid out of control and slid even faster. In short, recipe for disaster.

And where I ride here it henders this quads performance. I have to add the kit this weekend and also change the oil as the change oil light as come on the LCD which I assume must have happened at 30 miles or something. Anyone have suggestions on the oil? Some have said the Rotella was good and I use that in my Honda car.

Back with more later.

·
Registered
280 Posts
After going from manual shift Bayou 300 and then Rancher, I too was a bit
disconcerted by the lack of engine braking at low speed on the Rinny. But now that I have gotten used to it, it posses no problems. I do not, however, ride
steep downhills with it. If I am going there I take the Rancher.

As far as the low end throttle repsonse, that will be helped by the spring in the jet kit, or by cuttting 10-12 coils off the stock spring. Honda did that on purpose, to stop wheelies I believe.

I would not recommend changing to K&N filter and jet kit until the warranty runs out, unless you have a dealer install same.

The best oil is Honda GN4 for the break-in period, which is at least 300 miles, 500 by some folks reckoning. After 300 miles you can use any oil you want, as long as it is not energy conserving. It is not recommeded to use RotellaT until at least 300-500 miles, as it will not allow full seating of all moving parts.
Don't forget to check the valve lash at oil change time.

The oil change indicator will come on at 20 hours and then every 100 hours.
Resest it by holding in the odo/trip and clock/hourglass buttons at the same
time for at least 2 secs.

·
Registered
130 Posts
It is a fact, the Rincon has no engine braking as compared to other machines. This really becomes an issue for what the rider is comfortable with. If it is something that un-nerves you should probably look for another ride. If the Rincon does not deliver break-neck top speed, you should probably look for another ride. If it will not rock crawl to your needs, you should probably look for another ride. For me, it does what I like to ride most, EXTREAMLY well, and the stuff I have to just get through, just fine. All bikes are going to be a compromise. If the Rincon doesn’t fit your expectations, GET ANOTHER RIDE!!

As for the braking issue...I just got off riding 30 years worth of 2 stroke 2 wheelers...ENGING BRAKING...in your dreams. Going from that to what the Rincon delivers, feels like it just threw out an anchor...

Again...it is all in your perception, what you are comfortable, and your capabilities. Fact is, some people just are not cut out for this sport and should stay on asphalt.

·
Registered
282 Posts
"Fact is, some people just are not cut out for this sport and should stay on asphalt."

Pablo, If you think that because we ride rough terrain (ie rocks steep grades ect) and desire engine breaking that we are not cut out for atv's in general and should stay on the asphalt then you are really saddly mistaken. I personally think that asphalt or hard packed dirt is about all the rincon shines in...start doing technical riding where most go to low range and creep the rincon just cant hang...you try holding on to the breaks while shifting all your body to the right rear part of the quad (not on the seat) to keep the thing from flipping and then do the same with a quad that has engine breaking (ie you dont have to hold the freakin breaks) and see which one makes you more comforatable...

I respect that you like your rincon but please don't make comments that we belong on asphalt just because we dont like the rincon's lack of engine breaking at low speeds...

1 - 20 of 30 Posts