Honda Rincon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why is Honda's so hard to start? Ever Honda product that I have owned is hard to start.You have to grind the starter in order to start my Rincon. I am not new to ATV's. I have had two Suzuki's King Quads! Those machine's would start quickley,and be ready to ride. I use my machine to hunt on,and it's a pain in the butt to get started. Does anyone have a solution other than selling it and buying a new Suzuki? I wanted an automatic tranny,but am not satisfied with the Honda. I would buy the new Suzuki "King Quad" but I don't like a belt drive tranny. I have had belt drive motorcycles and think they stink.My questio is ,what can I do about the hard starting?

·
Registered
25 Posts
I had the same problem with my Rinny. When I installed my jet kit it solved the problem of starting. This thing fires right up and is ready to ride as soon as it does now. I didn't even expect the kit to do that but it has been the most noticable difference. DynoJet - You won't be disappointed.

·
Registered
105 Posts
pwillie,

I agree with GEM1N1. Mine was hard to start also, after I installed the dyno jet kit it starts a lot easier.

·
Premium Member
3,800 Posts
I've never had a problem starting mine. I don't have a jey kit either. Maybe I just got lucky. Now my 2001 300 EX is a pain in the butt to start, usually have to start it 3-4 times if not more before it will stay idling. I got worse after I rejetted and installed an exhaust. Once it is running and warmed up though it runs great.

·
Premium Member
762 Posts
Mine only starts from "cold" (which is room temperature in my garage) with the choke on. I do not have any modifications with the motor. I'm still breaking in my motor at 200km (120 miles) with still the factory oil.

...you are right this really sucks starting this beast!!!

·
Registered
118 Posts
Hit the primer button twice then try. I use my primer button on mine....push it 2-3 times when cold and it fires right off. I use it in conjunction with the choke.

·
Premium Member
762 Posts
Yeah... but if it's room temperature you shouldn't have to...I would think??

·
Registered
121 Posts
Look folks, you have to use the primer and the choke, if it is almost to the freezeing point out 0c-32f. All year long no matter what the season is, I have to use the choke. If it is summer I always have to choke the bike first start of the day, after that it usually starts with one tap of the button. Come the end of november, like I say, I am back to using the choke and primer.

note: For those of you who are tired of takeing off the seat to use the primer, try reaching in from the opposite side of the bike, just below the exhaust pipe, it takes a little practice, but it works for me.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Why do you take the seat off to prime it the right sside cover pops right off and the primer is looking at you in the face.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Come to think of it, I have never tried to pull the side cover off without removeing the seat(duh). I guess I will have to try that one out.The only thing that I was worried about was snapping the plastic in -20c.

·
Premium Member
180 Posts
I have not experienced this problem. No mods. Do have to use the choke but have never used the primer. Maybe just lucky.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks all, I am on my way to the hunting camp and will try the primer bulb? or button? or....or....0r.sell the damn thing and get a Suzuki,which I never had a problem with........HA HA HA

·
Premium Member
6,768 Posts
odd, its -20 celsius outside, and mine starts on the first crank (with the choke half way out) I let it sit for about 10 seconds, give it a couple gentle revs, and push the choke all the way in and thats it... infact, it starts so easy that my wife can even start it with the pull start...i rarley need to hold the button beyond a second...

·
Registered
371 Posts
Same here! I have never used the primer.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Since the exhaust and jetting, I rarely use the choke.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I found that it is easy to "overchoke" mine. It seems to start better at 1/2 choke when its around 20 degrees F. Heck I didn't even know I had a primer button. I'll have to look for that.

·
Registered
10 Posts
well for the ones with the jet kits don't know what to tell you but a jet kit only helps out in "wot" which is wide open throttle!! it has nothing to do with starting !! you might want to check your plug there real touchy about them! and also a rinny is the most cold nature wheeler ever!! not much you can
do with that!! sorry!!!

·
Registered
409 Posts
[No message]

·
Registered
409 Posts
Maybe mine is not a Rinny. I better go and have another look.

·
Premium Member
6,768 Posts
Having rejeted may not be the actuall resolution to the starting problem, how ever it may be the cause of the resolution... when you rejet you also richen the A/F... possibly, you people having a hard time starting might need to richen your A/F....

Im also pretty confident that changing the exhaust has a huge impact as the stock exhaust is huge restrictive...

1 - 20 of 27 Posts