Honda Rincon Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to install heated hand grips on my Rincon and the wife's Rancher and I was wondering what the best heated hand grips out there are. I want a soft rubber kind and something that is going to get nice and hot.

Thanks for any input

·
Premium Member
762 Posts
I find my Kimpex hand and thumb warmers great they have a nice neat adjustable thermostat that mount on the handlebar which I mounted my warn winch switch on top of ...looks great!

A tip to point out when installing...don't rob the power from you 12v accessory outlet (as the dealer here would have done) run it directly from the battery and put an automotive relay on it. The relay is so that when you turn off your ignition your grips will turn off otherwise they will remain on and will wear down the battery.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What is the the problem if you tie into your 12v accessory outlet ?

Thanks

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Where did you get the Kimpex hand warmers? Are they the ones that go under the original grips or are they there own grip?

Thanks

·
Registered
121 Posts
There is no problem tieing into the 12 volt accessory outlet. When you turn off your key, all of the electrical systems are turned off. But you have to remember that, if you use the 12 volt accessory outlet, and grip warmers at the same time, make sure that you dont overload the circut, or you may pop the 10 amp fuse.

·
Premium Member
762 Posts
Well said TRAILBOSS. I got the grips at the Honda dealer and they are their own grips, you will have to remove the originals..have fun.

·
Premium Member
762 Posts
I neglected to mention that I tied the hand and thumb warmers together so I would only have one controlled thermstat. It's personal preference.. but it eliminates that extra switch on your handle bars.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
oldtown169

Where did you buy your kimpex heated handgrips and thumb warmer?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
762 Posts
Honda Town
Carbonear, Newfoundland
Ph. 709-596-4144

$100.00 CAD taxes in.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I just did an installation on my red '04 Rincon using a Moose thumb warmer kit and a Moose hand warmer kit that installs under the original grips. Instead of all the switches and resistors and clap trap I used a Heat-Troller dual zone heat controller that give infinite control. The controller velcroed quite nicely to the top of the brake reservoir. One thing that is nice about it is that the controls have two individual LEDs that indicate by the rate of flashing how much heat is being applied....quite cool...er hot I mean. I will post a picture of the final installation. The web site will be adding an ATV section soon I hear: www.warmnsafe.com

Regards Guys

-kj-

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So what is the better heat grip the MOOSE or the KIMPEX ?

Thanks

·
Registered
10 Posts
I really do not know which is best, but I can say this Moose heater will toast your fingers quite well. Here is a pic of the controller mounted.

-kj-

·
Registered
10 Posts
Here is a pic of the thumb warmer being installed just before the shrink tubing is heated to form arond the thumb throttle. I did a write up and a wiring diagram. What was nice about this installation is that I did not have to drill holes for switches in the body panels. The controller is completly electronic and does not divert power to a separate resistor that heats up. When it is on a lower setting it truely is using less power and the rate of power production is seen in the rate of flashing of the LED. One LED is yellow and the other is red. One for each zone.

-kj-

·
Premium Member
762 Posts
Either one will do the purpose..keep your hands toasty. Go with whatever you think will be the easiest to install and the most cost effective.

kj how hard was it to put the grips back on over the element?

This is how I have the control for my Kimpex set-up.....

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I see the pictures of you guys controllers so did these controllers come with the moose and kimpex kits or did you buys these controllers eleswhere cause I have been looking on websites and these kits just show a toggle switch?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
762 Posts
The controller - thermostat came with the Kimpex hand warmers. The thumb warmer has a toggle switch but I tied both into one thermostat therfore eliminating the toggle switch.

Check your local atv / skidoo dealers and ask for part#165137 (grip warmer) & 912160 (thumb warmer) these are the Kimpex ones.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts