Honda Rincon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't wear a helmet during hunting season as I know the trails I ride to and from the stands. However, I'm going to ride on some trails open to the public and am not familiar with the terrain. That said, do you have any guidance as to a good helmet? I'd like to get one with a face guard and shield that lifts up. I do wear glasses. A helmet might be nice when making a run to the distant deer stands in the morning when the temps are below freezing. Thanks for any advice.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I don't wear a helmet during hunting season as I know the trails I ride to and from the stands. However, I'm going to ride on some trails open to the public and am not familiar with the terrain. That said, do you have any guidance as to a good helmet? I'd like to get one with a face guard and shield that lifts up. I do wear glasses. A helmet might be nice when making a run to the distant deer stands in the morning when the temps are below freezing. Thanks for any advice.
I just use the helmet (HJC) I use for motorcycling. I think any DOT approved helmet should serve you well. I'm a fan of the modular ones, meaning the clear face shield flips up as well as the jaw/throat frame.

·
Registered
735 Posts
I got an Arai vx pro 3, lots of ventilation in the hot months and you can close the vents in the winter. I never ride without a helmet.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
6,427 Posts
I just use the helmet (HJC) I use for motorcycling. I think any DOT approved helmet should serve you well. I'm a fan of the modular ones, meaning the clear face shield flips up as well as the jaw/throat frame.

I use the same one (wear glasses too) mine has a flip down dark visor that sits behind the face shield.

·
Registered
735 Posts
I bought 4 sena smh-10's and they work great. I've been using them for 2 years and have had to send a couple back but they replaced them with no hassle. When we ride there are usually at least 3 of us and we can all talk and listen at the same time. You can have up to a 4 way intercom and you can also pair your phone, etc. I bought them to help train our son to ride his trx-90 and we use them every time we ride. I have 3900 miles on the rincon and I doubt i've driven 10 of them without using the headsets.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I wear every type of helmet on my motorcycles but when I'm on the ATV, I like the motocross helmet with chin bar and duck bill. The duck bill helps keep the sun out of my eyes, helps in rain and seems to just be better for my eyes. I also wear goggles or safety glasses for the bits of debris that always find there way to my face.

·
Premium Member
8,042 Posts
I likely will insult a few people but modular helmets are the pits. You get a helmet that is heavier than a full face and about as safe as an open face with using a modular. No sir, I want a solid chinbar. My rincon and dirt bike have tried to mash my face before. I like my teeth...all six of them.

I busted a modular on a street bike. My modular helmet busted at the hinge on one side. It saved my face but cased me concern. So, I now ride with a full face only, street or dirt.

I also skip the lid when hunting my own lease, but I am riding a short distance at very low speed. In the rest of my riding, I wear a lid.

I buy cheaper motoX helmets as they vent well and I do not mind getting them sweaty and muddy.

I do commend the helmet wearers...all of them, as any lid is better than no lid. A work buddy of mine flipped a small quad on top of himself a couple years ago. Fractured his sinus cavity and facial bones. Jaws wired shut from taking a hit from the handle bars to the face. He was wearing a fullface lid...wreck should have killed him. First gear flip many of us have experienced...his just went very badly.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've been researching helmets and the GMax G54s ($125) looks pretty good. Lots of ventilation front and rear, modular, has internal shade visor in addition to front shield. Anybody use one of these. I only ride an ATV so don't need a design for a motorcycle at high speeds such as wind noise. I just hate being hot!!

·
Premium Member
3,308 Posts
One that fits well and is comfortable. The mid-range to higher end ones will have better venting and removable liner for cleaning. I usually go to a bike shop that has a big selection, try some on to see which one fits well, then order on-line. I have an HBC for the dirt and an Icon Variant for the street. The Variant has the best venting of any helmet I have ever owned. I have five helmets on the go right now, but mostly use the two mentioned. Keep in mind the manufacture date, a helmet is only good for about 5 years, then its just wall decoration.

·
Premium Member
4,088 Posts
+1 on what River said. I think all helmets are hot, some are just hotter than others. I need a new helmet, but I know the next one will have a removable liner for cleaning.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks River. The GMax gm54s has 8 front vents and 8 rear vents and also has a removable/washable liner. Great info on the aging process, makes sense as they are a composite structure that degrades over time. I did go to a bike shop and checked out an HJC and they were 40% higher than what I could find on the net but were willing to give me a discount if I bought that day. When will they learn how savvy their customers are?

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sadly, my 2012 sat garaged most of the year except for a trip around the neighborhood here or there to keep the fluids flowing. Still looking for a helmet. Saw some neat Dual Sports and the AFX-FX39 or 41 look pretty neat. I'm in Alabama so ventilation is a high priority and the AFX seem to be good for that. They also have the drop down, internal sun visor like a modular. Complaints I've heard are about too much ventilation but one it's rarely that cold here plus I'm trail riding, no high speeds. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Beautiful, dblshock. Rarely does it get that cold in Bama. 60F today but Monday we are expecting first snow/ice. My helmet needs are a bit different than y'all up north. Every time I read a review about a helmet having too much airflow I think of a 90F day at 100% humidity and know I want as much ventilation as possible!

·
Premium Member
2,994 Posts
the only time I use it is below about 48 degrees for the cold wind protection, think snowmobile. love the sounds as I motor through the forest that's lost with the helmet, fact here right on the border of WI./MI. MI. where ATV helmets are law we often avoid to get the full effect on a perfect day.

Suprising how well the TraxLock Rincon does on groomed snowmobile trail, today my pace was not far from a sled even though I'm running stock Dunlops with 1,800 miles on them. My last new Dunlop stock wheel set is in the garage rafters, that will take me to 8,000 mi. mark if I install them this season...Was planning to save them for the day I sell Rinny but not compelled to replace just yet..probably nurse these and other skin's laying around this year to see what happens with Honda's line-up.

·
Registered
234 Posts
dbl those little convex mirrors are just what I've been looking for. Care to share any info on them?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts