Honda Rincon Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for suggestions for a cheap motocross style helmet. I've got my old snowmobile full face for cold weather, but I"m looking for a mx style for spring summer and early fall. I don't want to spend too much but I figure even a cheap helmet is better than not wearing one at all - which is what I've done until now. having kids changes your outlook I guess.

I don't ride too hard, but last fall while on my way out bow hunting one morning I came very close to hitting a deer which reminded me that even if you are a safe rider, bad stuff can still happen. That's why they're called accidents.

I looked briefly at RM ATV and it looks like there are a few clearance helmets there in the $100 or less range. I also live by a Fleet Farm which sells some helmets for about $70. I think they are Raider. What do I get as i spend more money? lighter with more ventilation? any other considerations for buying a mx style helmet?

·
Premium Member
4,088 Posts
I have a $80 vega that I bought five years ago. It still works but it's definately showing interior wear. I looked at some HJC's the other day and found one I liked for around $150. I think when you go up in price, for the most part, you get a more comfortable helmet, better ventilation, better interior material and the ability to remove more of the interior for cleaning. I know this isn't always the case, but from what I have noticed shopping around lately. Get the best quality and best fit you can afford. If you don't get a comfortable one, your not as likely to wear it.

·
Registered
70 Posts
When protecting your head don't cut corners on a cheap helmet. Accidents do happen no matter how safe you are. Just my opinion. Been riding and racing for years seen a lot happen with cheap helmets.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have been very happy with my last two FLY helmets both were in the $100.00-$125.00 range. Moderate weight nice lining vents seem to work well 70-90 degree days.

·
Premium Member
10,392 Posts
I have a $80 vega that I bought five years ago. It still works but it's definately showing interior wear. I looked at some HJC's the other day and found one I liked for around $150. I think when you go up in price, for the most part, you get a more comfortable helmet, better ventilation, better interior material and the ability to remove more of the interior for cleaning. I know this isn't always the case, but from what I have noticed shopping around lately. Get the best quality and best fit you can afford. If you don't get a comfortable one, your not as likely to wear it.
X2 Buy a fairly good one that fits and is comfortable. A helmet is not a item you buy online, it needs to fit properly to do it's job properly.

·
Premium Member
3,308 Posts
I have bought online, if its new its okay, used you never know if they dropped it or not. They do expire too, you should replace them every three years or so.
When I buy online, I go to the dealers and try them on there first. All manufacturers fit different depending on thier liners and basic head shape, either oval or round. For example, none of the Icon helmets fit my noggin. You can get a great helmet for around $100 bucks, as long as its DOT approved you wont get any hassles where they are required.
In Alberta here, quads are the only thing that helemets aren't required by law, go figure.

I just orderd a Schuberth C3 online(for the street though), it was $210 cheaper that at the dealer

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the info guys. I'm going to do some research. I live not too far form Shadetree so maybe I'll swing up there one day and try a few on. Dennis Kirk is also in MN, but I don't think they have much of a showroom but it could be an option...

·
Premium Member
3,308 Posts
try your buddies helmets on too, you might like one of those brands/styles...in the end, as you said, "...even a cheap helmet is better than not wearing one at all."

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That's the problem. My buddies don't wear helmets. I'm kind of a pioneer on this one within my group. We use our ATV's primarily for hunting and working. We used to travel 2 miles at 10 mph. Now for hunting purposes I'm starting to travel 10 miles at 40 mph and also enjoy recreational riding as well. I've got a 2 year old and a 2 month old daughters at home so it's probably time for me to grow up and realize I'm not invincible. I ended up buying an AFX FX-17 from Dennis Kirk in Flat Black about 10 minutes ago. It gets good reviews and the price was right since they are 15% off right now. It should be here tomorrow. If it doesn't fit or if I don't like it, I'll make a trip up there on Saturday and return it and try others on.

I rode with my old snowmobile full face helmet yesterday. I had the face shield open much of the day which limited my vision because it didn't flip up far enough to clear my field of view. Other than that, I really don't mind wearing a helmet - been doing it for years on sleds and wouldn't ride without one on my sled.

BTW - I've got a Bombardier BV2s helmet for that. If any of your guys ride in cold weather and are looking for a helmet that won't fog, this is it, they're spendy though.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Got my helmet today. It looks good and fits well. For < $70 shipped to my door, I'm pretty happy. Ventilation looks adequate, fit and finish are also excellent for a cheap helmet. I need to get it on my head for a few hours to break it in, but It seems like it is going to be the right fit.

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts