Honda Rincon Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My son has been using a regular off road helmet and goggles. He needs a new helmet and is asking for a full face helmet with a full face shield, the type motorcycle riders wear. I am deciding if I should let him switch as it seems to me that there has to be some safety advantage of the off road type or dirt bike riders and ATVers would have just used the motorcycle helmets. Am I right or does it make no difference. I want every safety advantage I can get for him.

·
Premium Member
3,141 Posts
A full face MX helmet should be cooler in the summer and cooler in the winter. A full face helmet should be warmer in the summer and warmer in the winter.

·
Premium Member
3,621 Posts
I use a full face street helmet, I like it better than the motocross style and goggles, but I also wear glasses so it makes it easier for me.

I also like the idea of my face being covered by the shield should a rock get kicked up by the quad in front of me..or any other flying object.

I was just in the neighborhood earlier in the month over in Painesville.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I have off road style helmet with full shield.
It is Arai XD

·
Premium Member
1,190 Posts
As you know the more protection the better. One thing the full helmet will do is help tremendously with dust riding. I know you still get some dust but it is a very noticible difference. We use the full helmets and the lift-up front helmets and if your not wearing one your not in the newer videos.

·
Premium Member
201 Posts
I have a modular full face helmet with shield.

It's pretty nice because alot of time, we will take
breaks mid-ride and I can just squeeze a button
and half of the helmet slides up(not just the
face shield). Then I lock it back into place and
im good to go.

·
Premium Member
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks. I will let him know what was said here and let him decide. Co Mtn Man, it must be tough to leave Painesville to go back to Colorado. I bet most of Painesville would like to go with you. I know I would.

·
Registered
5 Posts
If you are concerned about switching from a dirt bike to a full face, then you should go for HJC RPHA 70 or ILM full-face helmet.

·
Premium Member
8,087 Posts
12 year old thread. However, it gets us all sometimes.

AND, welcome @mikebmeehan

Reactions: Oilcan
1 - 10 of 10 Posts