Honda Rincon Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Rincon apparently appears to have an oil leak on the top of the engine and I'm looking for help identifying the likely source. This first overview picture shows a lot of oil on top of the engine:

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive fuel system Automotive exterior Automotive design

I'm wondering if this electrical connector that attaches at the top of the engine could be the culprit. I think my helper wiped some oil off from around this area before snapping the picture:

Automotive tire Wood Scaled reptile Automotive wheel system Reptile

Any suggestions as to the likely source? It doesn't seem like using degreaser would be a good idea if it could get into the engine from here or wherever it it leaking.

Thanks in advance for any help or guidance you can offer.

davidaj

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, we cleaned everything up really good and found that this wire insertion point is indeed where the leak is coming from. Can someone help me know what this is called and if replacing it is likely the best solution. Actually, I suspect that replacing this would require in engine tear down as this wires probably don't just plug in here and it likely not possible to get the boot on from the other end of the wires. I wonder if it would be possible to silicone seal it or something. Have any others had your Rincon leak here? Thanks much for any guidance you can offer as I'm not clear on the best way to proceed.

davidaj

·
Premium Member
8,159 Posts
There should not be oil under that cover. Is the pull rope soaked with oil? My guess from here is the seal behind the recoil starter is toast. You are only seeing the symptom of a deeper issue.

Reactions: Ultratec and Oilcan

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There should not be oil under that cover. Is the pull rope soaked with oil? My guess from here is the seal behind the recoil starter is toast. You are only seeing the symptom of a deeper issue.
Based on CornDog's response here, we cleaned everything up a second time to check again. There is no oil on the pull rope and it still looks like the oil is coming from where this electrical boot goes into the top of the engine. The oil had already spread quite a bit when we took the picture but when the leak footprint was smaller, it sure seemed to be coming from the oil boot area (one arrow). If oil is not leaking out from that point, than the only thing I can figure is that it is leaking from the gasket (other arrow) that runs through that area. The level of oil leaking is quite significant though. All I can figure is that there must be a lot of oil splashing around inside the engine to push so much out the top. If it is leaking from the indicated gasket, how practical is it to either replace that gasket or tighten things up to see if that will contain the oil?
Hand Hand tool Finger Wood Household hardware

Your thoughts and suggestions are appreciated.

davidaj

·
Premium Member
8,159 Posts
My thoughts are the rope wound around the spool must be keeping it free of oil. The rubber grommet is not really designed to keep oil in. I would remove the recoil starter and have a look inside the cover. I doubt tightening the cover screws will have much effect.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
In the continuing quest to figure out where this oil leak is coming from, I asked my helper to pull the recoil starter as suggested by Corndog, but he ended up removing the electric start motor instead. Based on automotive engines that I am familiar with, there would not normally be oil around the flywheel. Looking into the area that the starter inserts into, their is clearly lots of oil in there. Is that area normally bathed in oil on the Rincon? I'm trying to understand if evidence of oil there indicates that my crankshaft seal is leaking and slinging oil in there, or if we still need to remove the recoil starter to see what is going on. There is an O-ring on the starter motor but I'm not sure if that is to keep oil in there or to keep water out. For what it's worth, I finally figured out that the wires inserting into the engine near where the oil is leaking out actually go to the stator. At least I finally have that figured out. . .

Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Car Automotive fuel system

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Wood Rim Automotive exterior

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive exterior Rim Auto part

·
Premium Member
8,159 Posts
Pretty sure the recoil starter area should be dry.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts