Honda Rincon Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys new here. I have been looking here and else where for answers for awhile and haven’t seen the same situation I’m in really. I have a high mileage rincon (11,000 miles). It had the top end gaskets done before I got it. I’m having issues at higher rpm which i have seen info on but not on a high mileage machine as far as I have read. Right before it shifts from first to second and again when it shifts from 2nd to 3rd I have to let off to half throttle to shift or it will just keep missing. Before I rebuild the front end with bearings, ball joints and tie rods. What do you think this is? I want to get this problem figured out before I move on. Once it shifts into the new gear I can give it full throttle with lots of power and no hesitation until it gets close to shifting then I have to let off again.

·
Premium Member
8,091 Posts
By missing.....I assume you mean the engine is missing and not a shifting issue?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don’t know. It has plenty of power and no miss until the upper rpm. I just read that the oil shares with the transmission and it’s the wrong type SAE0W-40 ams oils full synthetic. Maybe that’s my issue??

·
Premium Member
5,777 Posts
What AMS oil? Is it JASO/MA rated? The correct oil is very important.

·
Premium Member
5,777 Posts
OK then, your good with the oil.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok good. It’s weird because it’s all there in the low end. It’s literally good right up until it needs to shift. Then I have to let off. Then it feels strong until I need to shift again. It’s like it’s hitting the rev limiter or something. The second I let off it shifts. Even at half throttle going through the gears same thing. It kinda chugs a few times then it will shift.

·
Super Moderator
6,635 Posts
The guy put in ams oil full synthetic SAE0W-40. It’s full. I just read the engine shares oil with the transmission!?
Are you saying full, after warmed and waiting a few minutes (2) to check, and not screwing in the dip stick, Or are you reading it as full when it's cold?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Ok so I just let it run for 20min (it’s -4F here). Let it sit for exactly 2 minutes. Didn’t thread the dipstick down. I just dipped it in and it’s reading full. Also I rev’d it up pretty high in neutral past where it would break up when driving and it didn’t break up at all. It didn’t miss a beat.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Sounds like its not shifting up soon enough and you might be hitting rev limiter. If so need to figure out why it thinks it needs to hold in a lower gear, bit like when its pulling a heavy load or going up hill. Do rear wheels turn freely if you jack the rear up? Are you in 4wd? Just eliminating things that might be causing drag in the driveline.
Whats it like in ESP manual mode?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I drove it when I bought it at low throttle and it was perfect. Took it out once by myself and over half throttle is sputters when shifting and high throttle it will just keep chugging and won’t shift until I let off. After putting it in neutral and reving it up I now think it has nothing to do with the engine. It rev’d up fast and strong and had zero hesitation. It’s sounded really good to be honest. So smooth. I rev’d it high enough for me to think it was too much but never hit rev limiter. I never jacked it up or anything but It didn’t feel like it had any drag in the driveline when driving it. I’ve tried both 2wd and 4wd with the same results. As far as esp I have never tried it. I don’t think its the rev limiter because it does chugs a bit a little over half throttle. I just don’t get it. Something maybe wrong with the transmission?

·
Premium Member
8,091 Posts
Sounds like a fueling issue to me. Reving with no load is not the same as pulling revs under load. If it is an EFI bike I would be checking the fuel filter.

The transmission has nothing to too with the engine missing, unless it is hitting the rev limiter. If you have the throttle wide open and the engine is missing, it will not want to shift correctly due to the throttle angle and the lower RPM the TCU is sensing.

This does not sound like a transmission issue to me at all.

The TCU (transmission computer) uses throttle plate angle, ATV speed, and the engine rpm to determine when to shift. Have you tried using ESP to see if you can make it miss, just like it does when in the AUTO setting.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It is a 2006 EFI. Ok i will locate the fuel filter and check it tonight if I have time. I haven’t tried using the ESP yet. That will have to wait until I’m done my shift as I work the next 7 days. Thanks for the help. I will check those things and let you know what I find.

·
Super Moderator
6,635 Posts
Start at post number 4. I should have mentioned that earlier, as I would suspect the filter has never been changed. I think Corndog nailed it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Ok I’m going to change the filter as soon as I can get parts. Should I change the fuel pump while I’m in there? It’s probably original. Are the aftermarket pumps any good? I can get those online shipped to my door. Only reason I say that is because the closest Honda atv dealership is 4hr away

1 - 18 of 18 Posts