Honda Rincon Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just installed the H L disc brake kit and if anyone on here has the kit could you tell me which way you routed your brake lines? I routed mine around the back of the shock along the a arm and it seems to be a good fit but I was just wanting to see what everyone else was doing. thanks! and by the way the topic should say Brake!not break.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Honda4fun,
I put the discs on both of my Rincon's and it sounds like you routed the brake lines the same as I did. (They work fine there) Had to move the hose clamps some & what a pain getting them loose from the hose (glued in good). Make sure to turn the steering lock to lock & check that the hose is not too sharp of a bend. Bleed them real good and break them in hard to set the pads. Make sure to use some Brake Clean on the Rotors to remove any residual oils. After broken in, they work fantastic! -- Bill

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info I still have to check for interference but didn't want to go to far because I wasn't real sure about the brake hose routing.I'll be breaking them in today.Also have you had any problems with the axle bearings? now that there is nothing to protect them from stuff getting in there or did you get the sealed bearings from H L?

·
Registered
807 Posts
honda4fun
Yes I did use the sealed bearings, but you still have the grease seals protecting the bearings. Don't use too much grease or when you tighten in the hubs, it will push the seals out. The only thing I didn't like about the discs brakes is the open area between the rotor and the hub. The spacers leave that area open for debris to get jammed in there and bend or break something. I might make a tight fitting ring that slips over the spacers and closes off that gap. However, the rims cover the brakes pretty close, so I'll run them awhile and see if it's a problem. I still like how well they work.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
SX Thanks for the info I think I'll be ordering those sealed bearings but until then I will ride it how it is and see how the stock ones hold up.I also found out that you dont have to order the brake pads from Highlifter all you need is a brake pad from an Artic Cat they will fit.That beats the 79.99 or something that Highlifter wants for there brake pads.You should be able to order those from parts unlimited or at a local Artic Cat dealer.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I ordered a set yesterday. Hope to be putting them on this weekend. I was a big advocate for the drum brakes until I tore them down to clean them and after the first ride they failed (again). Disc brakes from now on! Get with the program Honda!

·
Registered
338 Posts
save your money on the h/l sealed bearings..mine didn't last any longer than the original honda ones..i am on my 3rd set counting the ones that are in it when i bought it,2550 miles of hard rocky trail riding..also with the disc brakes you will feel any loose front end parts quicker than with the drums,the rotor is mounted to the spindle and as the bearing gets play it allows the pads to be pushed back into the caliper,which the first time you grab the front brake you will feel nothing,just a few quick pumps and it will be back until you ride a little furher..just a heads up to what you will be noticing in the future,i still love the disc brakes but i wish we could get a floating disc set up..maybec the next honda will have them...also only expect 800 miles on the disc pads,don't push your luck or you will have to buy replacement rotors(45.00)..any other questions just e-mail me at [email protected] is the 3rd honda i have had the disc brake set up on..not my opinion just the facts..

·
Registered
24 Posts
The disc conversion is awesome. Just don't get started unless you have access to a hydrolic press. I boke my Dad's bench vise trying to press the new studs into the hub! Otherwise the installation in straight forward.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I broke 2 vises trying to get the studs in.If you tap on the vise with a large hammer while your turning the handle it helps but not much.Your better off with a press.I have had mine on for a couple of weeks now and really like them so far.Just one other problem while installing them is trying to get them bled.I think I went through a whole bottle of brake fluid before it quit spitting air bubbles.Anyone have a better way of getting the brakes bled?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Several auto parts stores sell handheld brake bleeders. It is more or less a vacuum pump. Works good and no mess.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts