Honda Rincon Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a very important development concerning Honda Rincons and the factory's
position on overheating. I have two Rincons that both exhibit the same reoccuring overheating problem under any type condition. I first attempted the routine checks of water pump and thermostat and blocked radiator, etc. etc. with the dealer to no avail. (five visits) Then I worked my way up the ladder to the top factory rep in California. After clearing up the stupid questions such as "are you riding with the brakes on?" etc. The position of the factory is, and I quote...1."Do you have other than the factory stock tires" on the bike? 2. You are not supposed to drive it on pavement! 3. You cannot have an pipe or jet kit installed. Honda will NOT Cover your Rincon if you have any of these items" The rep established himself as the final word on the subject and there is no one else high than him at Honda dealing with this issue. Then they said "if you don't like it, SUE US."
So, that's exactly what I'm going to do. I have two 2004 Rincons with only 500 miles and they have been doing this since about 200 miles. They have been in the shop over five times while the dealer threw parts at them without fixing anything. I have owned these for 6 months and the dealer has had them for 4 months. I definitely feel this may turn out to be a design problem and will certainly affect thousands of Rincons already out there. After reading the posts here and talking to even more Rincon owners, I'm sure of it.
In an effort to effect the strongest voice and to help others benefit from the outcome, I am having my attorney establish this suit as a class action. As soon as I have the conditions required to qualify for partisipating in the class I will post it here with all the contact information and details.
If your Rincon overheats or if it has before, you need to join this class action. If it hasn't yet, it probably will.

·
Premium Member
1,550 Posts
Excellent! It's about time somebody stood up to these big companies.

If you haven't already, have it listed in the suit that Honda is violating the Magnussen-Moss Warranty Act by refusing to cover the machine due to any of those listedn modifications. The law states that the manufacturer must clearly prove that those modifications are the direct cause of the problem before they can deny warranty on the machine.

I also think you have a valid Lemon Law complaint that you could use if you wanted to. Five visits is more than enough to satisfy that.

As soon as you have all the info on the suit and the Class Action status, I will come up with a way to make it a permanent and prominent announcement on this forum (and on my own personal website, which is pretty highly ranked in the search engines) to get people's attention.

Rob

·
Registered
8 Posts
mine is in the shop now with a water pump leak. they dont know when they will have a new water pump to install. according to several threads in this forum, water pump leaks are pretty common but i checked with two of my local dealers and they have not heard about the rincons having a water pump problem.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have a question on overheating. I don't know if I have ever heard my fan come on, yet there is no indicator on the dash telling me it is too hot. Now it is true that I have not really ridden it much in temperatures over 80 degrees, and when I do ride, I'm usually moving along pretty fast, but still, you'd think I would have heard that fan come on by now. It comes on all the time on our Suzuki Vinson.

So, I guess my question(s) are: 1. How do you know when it is overheating. and 2. How often do most people hear their fan coming on.

Dave

·
Registered
371 Posts
Dave! Their should be a temp indicator light and it should light for a second or two when you turn the key to the on posistion. This is for the '03 models. On the '04 models, the light is "not" required to light up for that second or two. On my '04 the fan is very quiet and I can't hear it when rideing, especially if I have a helmet on. If I let it idle for about 20 or 25 minutes it will come on. Try that and look under the front and you will hear it and see it spinning. When your rideing and stop and shut the engine off, use the kill switch and leave the key in the "ON" posistion for a couple minutes to see if it's hot enough for the fan to come on. The fan will not work unless the key is in the "ON" posistion.

·
Registered
371 Posts
SXflyer! Good stuff! Give the factory rep what he asked for. Rob has a good point with the Magnussen-Moss Act. I havn't experienced the overheating problem "YET" (277 miles) but it's probably comeing. How often and how quick doe's yours overheat? Doe's the temp light come on? What should I look out for? In your post I see that the smart ass rep did not mention the use of after market filters (K&N, Uni,). Under that Magnussen-Moss act, if a manufacturer reguires you to use their filters, they have to provide them "FREE". Everybody has a boss and I wonder if the Rep's boss is aware of what he's saying? How about an on line petition signed by all the members of this forum and sent to Honda Corporate as a prelude to your lawsuit? This PISSES me off! Did I spell that right?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Not sure if this is the same problem. Mine overheated once, I took it to the local dealer and they checked it out. Turned out that the radiator was clogged with mud. I had hit a big puddle just before it overheated and you could not see through the radiator at all. I believe there is a design flaw in the radiator. The fin spacing is so small that the least bit of dirt or mud will clog it tight thus causing it to overheat. My daughter has a Z400EX and the radiator fins on it are much further apart and she never has a problem. Plus hers has a plastic shroud with fins in front that are angled to not allow splashes from the tires to hit the radiator. The shroud on the Rincon is poor at best at keeping splashes out.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
To explain the overheat problem in greater detail. One of my Rincons started displaying the overheating problem almost from the start. I will ride in any type condition...be it mud, trails, open fields, or pavement and the temp light will come on after about 1hour of riding. I will stop the machine and leave the key on so the fan will run to cool it off and it will cool & shut the fan off in about 5-10 minutes. Upon continuing to ride the temp light will come back on in about 5 minutes or less and I have to repeat the cool down process again. This will continue to repeat for the duration of the day or night's ride. At first I thought it was isolated to the one bike, as the other was always riding side by side and not having any problems. Well, shortly the other started doing the EXACT same thing and they are usually even within seconds of the each other with the temp light coming on and the time it takes to shut off. I rode one night with the outside temp about 50'F only on pavement and once the light came on, I would stop, let it cool down and the light shut off and when I resumed riding the temp would come on about every two minutes. Just riding on pavement with abosolutely no strain, load, and plenty of fast moving cool air flowing through the radiator. (Also with the radiator spotlessly clean). I use Hondas oil and check the levels often. At one point I rode with the light on for a few minutes longer to see if in fact the bike WAS getting excessively hot, and to elimate it being a defective temp sensor. The bike started boiling over coolant. Obviously the only time it will operate without overheating is in water. But if I ride it into water to cool it down, it will only delay the temp light coming back on for a few extra minutes.
There is no leaking coolant. the water pump is fuctioning fine, (without leaks) the thermostat has been replaced twice.(without checking to see if it was defective. (The dealer doesn't even follow the service manual's procedure to check components. He just throws parts at the machine.) The temp sensor has been changed. The valves have been adjusted. The coolant has been changed. The radiator had been flushed and the fins cleaned. All items the dealer said he found to be the cause of the problem, but then obviously, they weren't. Presently the bike it sitting at home after the last three week episode which resolved nothing, except to have Honda now blame the tires & or the pipe or jet or filter or get this, even the fact that I have a hitch, he assumes I'm towing around a jetliner or riding a 600lb. passenger. (Even though the manual says the GVW is 1100lbs and the towing capacity is 800lbs). Grabing at straws now. I've had it. I have $25k invested in these two bikes which I now cannot even ride and Honda won't fix. And while I still think they are one of the best designs, it is appearent Honda DID NOT do adequate R&D and testing before releasing these to the public and may now be faced with recalls or worse, refunds for a defective engine & or tranny design. All my friends ride Foremans in the same conditions with absolutely no overheating problems. And theirs are AIR cooled. Go figure. The Rincons just are not performing in the off road conditions for which they are intended. Hell, they are not even performing under ON-ROAD, clean, no load conditions. I'll keep you posted.....Sorry all for the long post.

·
Premium Member
1,550 Posts
Hey SX... just a thought, but have you jetted it? I don't see that listed in your sig. If it's running lean, that can make it get hot real fast.

Another possibility is a bad CDI box that's advancing the timing too much.

Whatever the problem is, it seems like a factory defect of some part, which is affecting both machines.

It sucks that your dealer is as bad as mine and won't actually try to fix anything.

Rob

·
Registered
54 Posts
God that is awful. I have over 600 miles on mine and other than that one time have had no overheating problems at all. Sounds like you got a couple of lemons, probably came of the assembly line one right after the other. Good luck with the law suit. If I have any overheating problems like yours I will surely add my name to your suit.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Rob,
One is jetted and one is not yet. But I checked the mix and the timing and the valves to eliminate potential lean situation. I even bought a pyrometer to check the actual engine temps while running at different points on the engine. Can't find anything that is unusual. I am going to play the factory's game for arguments sake. I'm going to get stock tires and put them back on and remove anything else I changed from stock. It won't correct the overheat, but it will meet the factory's present position on cause and throw egg in their face. One bike is loaded, but the other only has 27" tires, K&N filter, and 2" exhaust tip change. Easily reverted to stock.

·
Registered
60 Posts
i have a highlifter temp guage on mine, and it runs between 180-200 depending on type of riding......the fan seems to kick on between 200-210.....the only time i had overheating problems, was when my water pump went out, and i had to finnish the ride......mine has 26 inch mudlites....the ires will ahve some effect, but i wouldnt think it is that drastic.....

·
Registered
84 Posts
I have the J&T gauge and my temps run the same as Matt.

·
Registered
322 Posts
No problems yet, about 650 miles and 26" mud-lites. Lots of hills and slow riding but "Knock on wood", no waterpump or overheat problems. Don't worry, if I have a problem in the future, I'll be looking you up SX.......

·
Registered
38 Posts
pm bucknaked about this he had the same prob , but our honda store is excellent and after many tries this is FIXED , it has been put through it paces severly at hatfield and mccoy and no probs. so any way maybe he can help you guys!

·
Registered
54 Posts
My problem dragged on for 11 months, from the very first ride on it. It didn't matter how I rode it, usually after 25-30 minutes it would come on. It took seven tries to get it right. If you want my opinion I think the problem has to do with the transmission and computer that controls it. I noticed after the last time they worked on it that the transmission shifted differently. When in automatic you could actually feel it shifting were before it was almost too smooth. They changed the computer that controls the transmission the last time. I know it wasn't anything that has to do with the actual cooling system because flow was never a problem. Plus the fact that it has had everything replaced. So far in the last 300 miles I haven't had any problems and it has been put through its paces. I also mow my lawn and plow snow with it. So far to date it has had 4 waterpumps, radiator, new oil temp sensor, coolant temp sensor, engine control computer, transmission control computer, thermostat, and camshaft. This was all covered by Honda. If you sue them then they will no longer do any work for you. If I were you I would contact Jeff at Honda 310-532-9811. The first guy I have was a complete idiot, he would tell you whatever you wanted to hear just to get you off the phone. Jeff actually helped and would even call back to see how things were coming. Be persistent, I called at least once a day. Any questions just let me know.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hey folks,

this may sound stupid, but check the 10amp fuse for the fan. I was riding through lots of snow last winter and my temp lite came on, it appears that all the melting snow froze causing my fan not to spin thus blowing that fuse. Replaced it and every thing was fine.

My 03 rincon has 3400 HARD miles on it, mines never been to the shop (knock,knock) All stock except for K&N filter and 26" dirt devils(somtimes)

·
Registered
66 Posts
500 miles on mine and no problems as of yet, and i do alot of slow riding where my fan has been running pretty regularly. I keep checking my fluid levels and all seems well. (Wish me luck....lol)

1 - 20 of 37 Posts