Honda Rincon Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought I ought to share this with the rest of you in case it happens to you.

I bought two new 2003 Rincons a couple of months ago. I have 160 miles on one and 126 miles on the other. The one with 126 miles on it started making a weird noise, something akin to bird chirping right off of idle. At first it only did it for a second or two but within a day or two it was doing it most of the time. I took it to my Honda dealer who immediately upon hearing the noise diagnosed it as a problem with the torque converter. They have apparently replaced several already with similar problems.

I guess this is weirding out Honda because reportedly, when they contacted Honda for the warrenty authorization, they were told to pull the engine and send it to them. I am reportedly receiving a new engine from somewhere in California.

This kinda stinks since my girlfriend and I were intending to go riding this weekend and gawd only knows when I will get my bike back. I guess it is better to get a new motor though rather than have them tear my old one down and install a new torque converter.

They said that the condition was caused by improper warm up procedures which reportedly do not allow enough time for oil to get up into the bearings of the torque converter.

I don't understand because we always allow more than enough time for the motor to warm up. We live here in Florida so cold oil should not be an issue. Besides that, both bikes are almost always started and ridden together. The other bike makes no noise. My two buds who ride Rincon have not heard anything like this either? Go figure?

·
Registered
54 Posts
If you have read any of my previous posts you will know that I can attest to to Honda's customer service department and taking care of their problems. They may not be the fastest but they will take care of the problem and stand behind their machine. I had an overheating problem from day one and it took seven trips back to the dealer to get it fixed. They replaced everything on the machine that could cause an overheating problem for free. They even sent a tech in from Honda to my dealership to work on it. The last trip to the dealership cost them $1000.00 in parts and 11 hours in labor. I was also told by my Honda rep on several occasions that if I ever have any problems with this vehicle caused by the overheating problems that Honda will take care of it. So if Honda tells you they will take care of it, I would believe them. Honda's Customer Service Number is 310-532-9811.

·
Registered
9 Posts
My 04 rincon also makes that weird bird chirping noise. I have only noticed it when I am warming the machine up. It will make the noise for a few seconds and then it disappears. After it is warmed up, I never hear it. Anyone else experience this with their machine?

·
Premium Member
153 Posts
Michigan_Rincon,

My '04 also makes that noise occasionally on warm-up and like yours only lasts a few seconds and doesn't do it after.

·
Registered
143 Posts
All,
I too have the noise when it is first started. I have done some inquiries and get the same opinion. It seems that oil drains out of the torque converter while non running and the noise is the air still trapped in the converter. Once the oil completely fills the converter, the noise is gone.

John

·
Registered
100 Posts
Mine also make that noise everyonce and a while when i first start her up. Then like others state, it goes away after it warms up.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Hey,
I've heard that noise intermittently after start-up on my '03 Rincon as well. Does that mean there is a problem? Or only if you have it continually??
By the way, I have just over 500 miles on it and decided to see if the "break in" had any affect on the speed. My Rincon did 59 mph right after I got it. Now, it hit 60 mph, with no jetting, or other performance mods.

·
Registered
44 Posts
My 2003 Rincon makes this sound only when first fired up and doesn't last very long.
Tootall

·
Registered
322 Posts
Someone here said they had it checked out. Evidently, it was a washer. The bevelled washer makes the whirrling noise (bird noise) and the flat washer does not. They replaced it with the flat washer and the noise went away. My friends Rincon has been doing this since he had 500 miles on it, he now has 1900 miles and hasn't had a single problem yet. Although it does make that noise alot.

Mine did it very lightly a few months ago, hasn't EVER done it since.

·
Registered
141 Posts
just to add to the list mine does it to, only when its cold.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Mine (made) a whirling (similar to a chirp) noise at WOT. I was running too rich at the time and have since corrected that. I have had a couple of moments with the throttle pinned without the noise. I don't know if it is related or just a coincidence. And I'm not sure if it is the same noise you guys are talking about.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Same with my two 04 Rincons, chirps at start up (on cold mornings) then quiet after a few seconds. 265 miles on one and 400 miles on the other.

·
Registered
52 Posts
my 04 does it to only at start up once or twice then it is gone the bike workes great i have 2000 kms on it (kilometers)

·
Registered
200 Posts
I have not noticed this on my 05 Rincon. Is the noise very obvious?

·
Registered
50 Posts
My 2005 does it too. Not really sure if it goes away after warmup tho. I guess I'll have to check that out...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts