Honda Rincon Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
That stupid stinkin reverse limiter nearly caused Mike & I to spend the night in the woods in the pouring rain. I need to eliminate that thing right now.

We were coming down a steep, skinny, muddy goat trail when we came to a tree across the trail. Couldn't winch it, no way around, need to back up to the nearest widening in the trail. Problem is, the Honda won't let me back up the hill. If you keep trying to get the thing to back up a steep muddy hill, it will try to foul the plug and not run at all. We ended up having to use the winch to do a 180 degree turn around on a steep narrow muddy trail. Pretty dangerous. Don't wanna do it again either.

We discussed lighting the Rincon on fire and ramming it through the front glass of the dealership. Although that would be pretty fun, and satisfying, it wouldn't help cure the problem. Has anyone here come up with the cure? Surely the mudders have solved this problem.

·
Registered
409 Posts
I have been looking through some of the info I have saved in the last few months and I can not find the info you are looking for. I know I wanted to do away with mine and just keep putting it off. It has been posted on a couple of other forums and I thought I had saved it. There were several ideas on it and one in particular seemed to be the answer. Here are some of the sites I visit if you want to go there and do a search.
ATVconnection
Atvsource
atvnation
atvtime
quadsquad
Give these a try and if you don't find it, let me know and I will keep looking in the mean time. I would like to do it before I really need it like you did. I have only been a bind with it one time and it was in the dunes but I sure wish it had been disconnected. I know for sure you would want it done if you ride in the mud.

·
Registered
39 Posts
There is a description and pictures on atvfrontier.com
I have not tried it myself. I think you will have to register to see it but it will be worth it, that site is great.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Try this .http://ca.f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/rinconmark/album?.dir=/e4fd&.src=ph&store=&prodid=&.done=http%3a//ca.photos.yahoo.com/rinconmark

·
Registered
322 Posts
Miner, that one does work well. The only downside of it (nothing special) is that it will indicate "D" on the pod when turning the override on. Because it will be telling the computer that it is in drive, when it's physically in reverse, eliminating that speed limiter in reverse. But it will still have the 7000 RPM rev limiter in reverse so you won't have to worry about over reving it in reverse. It should do 26-28 in reverse with limiter over riden.

I've been meaning to do the override, but I still don't understand any instruction yet. I guess I need simpler terms explained?

·
Registered
143 Posts
Jay,
I have never experienced the problem you had, so what exactly happens with the reverse limiter. What does it do? I thought it restricted reverse speed.

Thanks
John

·
Registered
76 Posts
The limiter won't allow the wheels to turn more than 10 MPH (I think) in reverse. I have had problems with this trying to get out of a nasty mud hole in the past. The wheels load up with mud, and when it spins, the limiter wont allow he wheels to spin fast enough to clear themselves / get out of the hole in reverse.

Hopefully the new wheels / tires will keep me from getting stuck... if all else fails, i have the winch to get me out...

·
Registered
143 Posts
Dave,
Thanks for the explanation. I haven't used my winch yet. Hope I don't have to, especially getting stuck. I see a lot of other uses for it though.

John

·
Registered
76 Posts
When i first got the winch, i tried to get stuck... just for amusement sake...

if nothing else, it is good for cleaning... i hook some webbing to the bottom of my deck (about 8' off the ground) and use the winch to stand my rincon up on end... makes cleaning out the underside easy...

I think i am digressing from the topic on hand... more on topic, i am going to try to find a way that i can put a toggle switch in to allow me to override the limiter, if it is needed... but that is a project that is going to have to wait, since i have other things i need to finish first... like painting the nose black, to finish the look i started in the Stealth thread...

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ridge Runner;
I believe that the limiter cancels spark signals sort of like the soft touch rev limiters that some drag racers use. At a certain RPM/throttle position, the limiter may cancel every third, or fourth spark, maybe even every other spark thus not allowing the engine to get going with much gusto in reverse. Meanwhile, the more throttle you give it, the worse it runs and the more it tries to load up and stall completely. Doesn't take long either before it will not even start back up. It wouldn't start until we winched it around and got the nose headed uphill. Not sure what that's all about, but I was pretty ticked off just then.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts