Honda Rincon Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone sent thier front differential in to get the stocker replaced with this locker?
How good does it work?

·
Registered
226 Posts
Hello pilgrim4life!
I haven't sent it away,instead I did the installation myself.The detroit gearless locker is really simple it's just metal friction disc (just like a motorcycle clutch) that transmit the power to boht wheel.It's my second Honda with one and I never had any problem with it execept that it's harder to steer when in four wheel drive and the positive side is that you will not recognize your machine because you will be able to go where you couldn't before.I almost never need my whinch.And the installation was not so hard with the Honda shop manual.There's a small lip in the diferantial to be machine down, my friend with a machine shop did it in five minute and didn't charge me nothing.

·
Registered
807 Posts
I have a post in this forum that has some tips on the installation if you do it yourself. I did both mine and it is as Miner says. Great. Real 4WD

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I read the info you posted, sounds very promising. I now have one on order with Highlifter.
Thanks for the info, I am now going to do it myself.

·
Premium Member
1,550 Posts
Will machining the lip make it impossible to remove the gearless locker and return the diff to stock at some point in the future?

Rob

·
Registered
226 Posts
Hello RobG!
Yes it will be possible to remove the gearless locker,but for returning the diff to the original way from what I can understand,when you open your diff and separate your ring gear and the housing (page 17-19 in the shop manual under Differential disassembly) you can see that the lip in question seem to hold in place the "side cone spring",there should be a way to put it back in operation without having to buy a new diff.I whent fourwheeling in deep mud this afternoon and it remembered me why I like the gearless locker.Can't get enough mud.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Do the specific instructions for the machining job come with the locker???

·
Registered
11 Posts
does it really work?
with the detroit gearless locker you can have the same performances of the grizzly with the diff lock? you won't have anymore the spin of a wheel?

·
Registered
226 Posts
Hi raven!
I never had a grizzly but I can tell you that you won't recognize your Rincon wen you get to a mud hole you have to try it to see the difference.And for the two front wheel, yes they remain lock under all condition.I had the chance to try mine multiple time and it never failed.You can see the installation instruction on the Highlifter web site.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts