Honda Rincon Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First you have to remove one Phillips screw from the back of the light assembly and remove the back light cover to get to the bulb socket. The H6M bulbs have only 1 locating tab on the ring around the bulb. The stock bulb has 3, and can only go in 1 way. The only trick is when you twist and unlock the stock bulb from the housing and remove the stock bulb from the socket you have to figure out which slot the single tab on the H6M bulb must go in. Of course you have 3 choices. By looking close you can figure it out by seeing were the 2 bulb contacts will line up with the contacts in the socket. You then have to kind of hold the H6M bulb in place as you put the socket back in the housing. It will feel like the bulb will be loose and not stay in tight, but when you lock the socket back in the bulb will be tight and stay in place just fine. Then you need to check it by turning on the lights and see if they light up and the high beam and low beam work correctly. If not you need to remove the H6M bulb again and put the tab in a different slot until everything works correctly. It is really not that hard to do and is well worth the effort. The H6M bulbs are much brighter than the stock ones and you will notice a big difference. I compared mine by changing one bulb and then turn on the lights and compare the difference. You will notice it right away. If you need any further help please contact me.

·
Premium Member
5,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
If the above is thought worth while can someone put it in the Wiki? I don't think I know how and don't want to screw anything up.

·
8,082 Posts
Harley no joke that it is a pain. I bought a cheap version of the Piaa and put them in my Rincon. The bulbs I used were just crap from the get go.

I found it eaiser once I took off the front tires to install the bulbs. I could get inside the fenderwells better so I could see what was going on.

·
Registered
786 Posts
You will usually find that the Piaa and other brands like them, although built well, are not what you really need. They typically tint the bulbs to make the light "look" whiter, or they overdrive them so the life expectancy is crap.

If you want a good quality bulb that is actually "better" and brighter, look for something imported from Osram or Narva.

Daniel Stern's lighting consultancy can give you quite a bit of info, and his company, candlepower.com is where you can find these bulbs. I have no financial interest in them at all, your mileage may vary etc, but I've used many different bulbs, including the special service vibration resistant ones, with great success in virtually everything I own.

You can read more about what I'm talking about here:

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/bulbs/bulbs.html

·
Premium Member
5,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have had my PIAA bulbs in now for 4 years without any problems at all. It is not a big deal to install them. On the first bulb I had the tab wrong and after a quick look moved it to the correct position and noted were it was. The second bulb went in without any trouble. The whole job took 15 minutes at best. I was going to try and load a picture from my Forum Folder witch shows one PIAA bulb and one stock bulb, but as with many pictures it was deleted.

·
2,120 Posts
Good 'how to" Harley Dog!

·
Registered
1 Posts
First you have to remove one Phillips screw from the back of the light assembly and remove the back light cover to get to the bulb socket. The H6M bulbs have only 1 locating tab on the ring around the bulb. The stock bulb has 3, and can only go in 1 way. The only trick is when you twist and unlock the stock bulb from the housing and remove the stock bulb from the socket you have to figure out which slot the single tab on the H6M bulb must go in. Of course you have 3 choices. By looking close you can figure it out by seeing were the 2 bulb contacts will line up with the contacts in the socket. You then have to kind of hold the H6M bulb in place as you put the socket back in the housing. It will feel like the bulb will be loose and not stay in tight, but when you lock the socket back in the bulb will be tight and stay in place just fine. Then you need to check it by turning on the lights and see if they light up and the high beam and low beam work correctly. If not you need to remove the H6M bulb again and put the tab in a different slot until everything works correctly. It is really not that hard to do and is well worth the effort. The H6M bulbs are much brighter than the stock ones and you will notice a big difference. I compared mine by changing one bulb and then turn on the lights and compare the difference. You will notice it right away. If you need any further help please contact me.
Haven't been able to get bulb out ot socket. Have depressed and turned counterclockwise, but bulb won't release. Any thoughts?

·
Premium Member
5,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I assume you got the socket out of the headlight housing, yes?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts