Honda Rincon Forum banner

21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
4,367 Posts
for 20 bucks it sounds to good to be true but i live in the south so i wont be needing one due to the oncoming globel warming

·
Banned
4,596 Posts
Too good to be true?? Good grief, what do you think this is, a Global Warming debate??? Check out the link! Jeepers Crimeny Sakes Alive! Are you just a contrarian? A-yup LOL! Noogies for you too!

·
Premium Member
232 Posts
ATVtech,

I really like your idea. Where can I buy one of those coolant heaters?

·
Premium Member
5,592 Posts
Rusty, see the Kimpex link I posted above.

·
Premium Member
318 Posts
so where would you place the heating pad? I tried to install one on my explore but the oil pan was cast aluminum and had ribs all over it and no flat surfaces at all the pats must make good contact to transfer the heat. i am in MN so it has been very cold and this would work great for here?

by the way Jameserizer quit wasting time with this research and make those hitches for us...lol

·
Banned
4,596 Posts
I'm working on it, Mcafferty! I am going to pick up the finished bottom plates and the aluminum stock tomorrow!

I don't know where exactly to put the pad heater on the rincon motor...pretty much anywhere on it that presents a large enough and smooth enough surface. By the looks of it that pad heater is not that big...maybe 3 X 6 inches or thereabouts.

There's gotta be a spot on the case thats big enough to stick it to somewhere. Maybe on the bottom??

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Rustysdream, any dealer with a Kimpex catalogue can order one for you.

Jameserizer, I tried your heating pad option the year before I installed the coolant heater. Honestly? It sucks balls. Majorly. Which is why I went with an inline coolant heater. Best money I ever spent. Well, except for the three-nippled hooker I once bought on a dare. Talk about bang for your buck!

The heating pad simply doesn't heat the cylinder nearly as well as the coolant heater. Not even close. You ever get a big overnight snowfall @ -5 Celsius and then wake up at 7am with the temps @ -35 Celsius? I simply don't have time to wait for hours until the cylinder heats up enough to allow the bike to start. Been there, done that. This isn't like waiting for the toaster to make toast, I have to clear the driveway before going to work.

That's not what made me throw the heating pad in the garbage can however. You ever take your Rincon on a weekend ice fishing trip? Get there Friday afternoon, sleep in the ice-hut Friday and Saturday, come back on Sunday. Not a pleasant feeling when that POS heating pad decides to stop working at -35 Celsius.

The coolant heater does a better job, has never let me down, and is surprisingly simple to install. Also, I don't leave it on year 'round, I bought a second hose just for the coolant heater. I run the stock hose in the spring, summer and fall, and then drop the coolant in the winter and install the heater.

I highly recommend it.

·
Premium Member
2,452 Posts
I was gonna' ask Jameserizer what time it was but I figured he'd tell me how to build a watch ! HAHAHA! Just kiddin' ya' James, you are one helluva walking Funk & Wagnalls !

·
Premium Member
2,452 Posts
You snuck that last one in on me James !

·
Registered
176 Posts
To hell with that... -35 C. Just freaking move.. and forget about the heater... LMAO!!!

·
Registered
64 Posts
-35°C is effing cold! TABLES I see that the coolant jacket doesn't surround the crankcase, so a block heater wouldn't work anyway. I wonder if an immersion heater could be rigged to fit in through the dipstick tube to warm that oil so it's not like molasses.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Just a few more words regarding the coolant heater. I only use it when the temp is colder than -20 Celsius (without wind chill). Warmer than -20 Celsius and I don't bother plugging it in. Bike starts just fine without it.

As fas as warming up the oil prior to starting, I don't think that is necessary. I run Honda's semi-synthetic 0W30 HP4 in the winter and haven't found the need to warm up the oil, even at -35 Celsius. Just let the bike warm up for five minutes and you're good to go. Engine damage caused by cold weather starting hasn't been a problem either. I've now got 1270 hours on the engine with no oil consumption, no smoke, and no power loss.

·
Premium Member
190 Posts
The inline heater appears to be a great solution for cold climates. Do you really need to remove it for summer running, i.e., does the heating coil obstruct the flow path to the extent it would affect summer cooling capacity? Due to slow running, my fan already cycles excessively.

An inexpensive method I use is to place a $15 1000W ceramic heater under my covered quad and direct the fan flow toward the engine. Not only is the engine heated, but the battery is heated for an extra boost. Make sure the heater has a tip switch, there is adequate clearance from combustibles, and your quad is insured for fire damage!

·
Banned
4,596 Posts
I have the ultimate solution! Just get one of those 1 million amp homopolar generators used for butt-welding railroad track together, and connect it with big copper buss bars to the front and rear bumpers. Pull the switch and BZZZZZZZZZZPPPP! your Rincon is instantly at full running temperature (or maybe a little bit beyond :) ).

Yep, Jameserizer's bombed again! Hooooooooooooo......Too bad is 34 degrees outside or I'd be smokin a fat stogie too. Sigh...

·
Premium Member
190 Posts
I have struggled with cold climate starting alot. Great pixes and diagrams! I think that you should add the series to Wiki.

·
Premium Member
6,768 Posts
you folks need to rethink this block heater thing...if your doing it to make cold starts less abrasive on the machine then have at her... but if your trying to resolve a cold start problem your looking in the wrong place... if you have a cold start problem, a block heater is a bandaid, not a solution... what happens the day you are out in the cold and have to stop for several hours as a result of a sunlight shortage or some other problem.. how are you going to get your machine to start ?

better to resolve the tuning problem you have and know that you can get her started in the morning... without have to use your fingers to get her warmed up again...

21 - 40 of 43 Posts