Honda Rincon Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have taken the plug boot off so many times checking the plug I have messed up the boot somewhat. I managed to pull the wire out of the boot. At first I thought the boot had a screw in it that screwed into the wire core. Now I am not so sure. It is hard to see into it but it sort of looks like it was crimped on and not screwed. Do you have any ideas on getting it back on? I can't see having to buy a new boot and possibly a coil. I only had to cut the end of the wire off about 3/8" and it is still long enough. Just not sure how to get them back together. I don't think you can buy a generic type boot that will work as it should. I have one and when I take a continuity reading it is ok and the ohms reads .00. The ohms reading on the Honda boot is 5.46. I am guessing the built in resistance if because or the Iridium Resister plug. Just not sure if it would fire as it needs to if it was replaced with the generic. I am also guessing this is where my high speed miss was coming from. Any ideas and thoughts from anyone would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
1,550 Posts
This is what I did with mine. It pulled out, but it really is a screw-in like other wires; you just can't really tell. Cut the small amount off the wire like you wanted to, then push it back in and screw it back on. Worked fine for me once I found the rest of the innards of the boot that felt apart when I finally got it off of the plug.

Rob

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks RobG. I removed the coil so I can get at it better. I tried screwing it back on and have taken it back off and I can't see any signs of it screwing into the core. Will try some more.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Zid,

Or avoid trying to look tuff and reading your plug at 2am in a mud hole. No reason to take it off then, you're just asking for trouble.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I found that the screw was not centered in the boot and when I trie screwing the wire into the boot, the screw would just chew up the side of the plug wire. After a lot of gosh darn its, I think I have it centered and in correctly but my high speed miss has not gone away. I am still wondering if I am hitting the rev limiter.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I too had trouble getting the plug cap off, but I did not screw anything up thank God ... but gave it a dose of silcone spray not only will it water proof it some but more important it will come of a whole lot easier next time. Honda Best On Earth!!!!

·
Registered
807 Posts
I think if you really got a response from enough people out there you'd find the majority have had most of the common problems posted here. I also think seeing alot of problems referred to over and over here tends to make them seem like a bigger issue than they really are. I've torn boots on just about every type of engine driven machine there is over the years and while I always cussed alot at the time.....you just fix it and get on with it. NO big deal. C'mon guys... a boot is not that big of a deal....the tranny falling outa the frame.....well, that would get my attention. So.....keep the posts coming, but lets not make a federal case out of every little thing. Just my two cents worth.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts