Honda Rincon Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just went out for a ride unlike any other... till suddenly the machine wouldnt idle, and the stench of gasoline was everywhere...

I opend the air box and the bottom of it was soaked with gasoline, I took the top off the carb and pulled out the diaphram and the needle and opend the fuel valve, sure enough the fuel flowed freely out of the hole where the needle would be,,,so I suspect that the float is sunk... I limp the machine back home and take apart the carb there appears to be no sign of trouble with the float, I dont see any fluid in either chamber, and the valve does appear to be able to shut off the fuel flow when I lightly (very gently) push the float to the closed position.... so, what gives ? anyone have any thoughts ?

·
Premium Member
6,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yes...

Ive been monkeying around with jetting for a while now...Im in that fine tuning stage... seems the pilot size and main size are relative to each other, so one pilot size say a #56 might give you wild bottom end with a #162 main in there, but when you pin it to the top end its sputtering and belching black smoke go down to a 54 and it belches less, but go down to a stock pilot and #166 main and holy shite! its got serious top end... so now Im working on matching the largest pilot with the largest main that will run bottom end, mid range and top end without any problems...

·
Premium Member
3,621 Posts
Mudchucker are you running an inline fuel filter? I just wonder if a piece of dirt got stuck in the fuel inlet where the float valve seats and held it open.
Did you look at the seat for the float valve isn't there a rubber seat on it; I wonder if this has a small nick in it. At best it would very hard to see if it did.

Keep us posted on what you find.

·
Premium Member
6,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Inline fuel filter ? wish I would have thought of that... what should I use ? some kind of inline lawn mower filter ? I would prefer that I be able to use somthing that I can buy at a local autoparts store and not some obscure filter that I can only order online at some atv site...

I have not had a chance to take the carb apart... Im hoping to get to it tonight...

·
Premium Member
3,621 Posts
I would go to the local auto parts house and look for something that has about the same diameter as the fuel line. Some I have seen have a clear section so you can see the fuel flow.

I think any filter that has the same I.D. as the fuel line so you don't restrict the flow should work.

·
Premium Member
6,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well I took apart the carb last night... pulled out the float and the little float valve thingy... a nice little round ball of ice was sitting in the end of the brass sleave...

I turned on the fuel valve and let a little fuel run out onto the floor to wash out the ice and put it all back together (also backout to the DJ #150 jet while I was in there)and all is running fine.

I have bought some fuel line antifreeze (isopropyl alcohol) and dumped a few ounces in the tank, and im going to mix some in with the fuel in my gas cans...

·
Premium Member
3,621 Posts
Did not think of that one, thanks something else to think of.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Im not certain but I belive there is a carb heater if you turn the key on and let it sit it heats the carb up for better cold weather starting....this might clear out ice in the furutre if you are out riding and this happens...it could keep you from haveing to walk...

Rob, do you know if the grizzly has this feature? I dont think so but just wanted to ask

1 - 10 of 10 Posts