Honda Rincon Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, what can I say. The bike I have bought has to be the worst bike Honda has ever built. I think that this bike was built for trainning the new line associates to get practice on before they go onto the main line because the hole bike from top to bottom is junk. If you have read my other threads and know who I am and the trouble I have had with this bike in the past I just wanted to add one more major problem, The bike blew up while at the dealers.

First at 75 km the O-Rings in the tranny went, then the water pump puked out antifreeze from the weeping hose. The vin # on the bike said that it was to have the new pump on it but it didn't. When I got the bike back and went out for a ride with the boys last weekend the temp light came on. As long as I didn't ride it hard it was fine. I soon as I rode it hard the light came on. I took it back to the dealer again and he changed the sensor and said that it looked like there was stop leak in the rad. Well, I said that I didn't put that in there. He then flushed out the rad fluided and installed new fluided and took it out for a ride to check to see if the light would come back on. The light came on about 20 min into the ride then "BANG" BY-BY HEAD GASKET!!!! I have talked to comuster servivce twice now and I have told them once this bike is fixed I want a 2 year exended warranty and compansation for the 6 weeks lost in total for all the problems this bike has cost me. They said let's wait till the bike is fixed and they will figure something out. Know one should have to go through this kind of crap. Honda better step up to the plate on this mess.

One Pissed Off Owner

T-Bone

·
Premium Member
1,550 Posts
IMO I would be asking for a totally NEW ATV, not just an extended warranty. That's ridiculous.

I've been working with another dealer to try to find out if I can get my Rincon fixed or not. They were to have called Honda tech today to see if there were any repair claims in on my machine from the other dealer, but I haven't heard back yet.

Honda has definitely lost a customer whether they fix my machine or not...

Rob

·
Registered
228 Posts
Jesus, you guys make me nervous with these nightmare Rincon stories.I havent had any problems yet.Good luck I hope Honda takes care of you.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I talked to my dealer on Sat and he said that the head is out getting machined and checking for any cracks in it. Well, the plus to this I gess is that I'll get a little more power out of the bike since the head is getting a shave.

T-Bone

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, Honda wanted my cylinder head so they ordered me a new one with a gasket. It took 2 1/2 weeks to get the two parts. I called Honda Customer Relations Canada and told them that I wanted a new bike and this is what they said. " We do not buy bikes back regardles of what the problem is even with 600km on it. Our job is to find out what is broken and fix it. It is not our problem that the bike has been at the shop for 2 months in total over the past 5 months you have owned it nor will we reinburst you for the payments for the 2 months it's been in the shop. As well, we are not going to give you a 6 month extended warranty even if we have fixed your tranny, water pump and the top part of the motor. We will look at any problems after your warranty is done by a case-by-care bases."

So I told them that my lawyer will be getting i touch with them very soon.

I went to pick up the bike today at the dealer and they said to take it for a ride behind the shop, So I did......... And the [email protected]#*ing thing was leaking anti-freeze at the cylinder head. I told them also to get there sh#$ together and have this problem solved my next week. I am now telling everyone that this bike is crap and Honda Relation Dept will not stand behind there bikes. O ya, when I asked for a new bike they said " If we were to give you another bike, what said that the new bike has a problem as-well" Holly Cow you people don't have confindance in your bikes now do you.

In conclusion, Good luck getting anything from Honda when you and everyone one else agrees that Honda is in the wrong.... SHAME ON YOU HONDA

Can't wait to get a 700 Polaris. I'm sure they back up there bikes.

·
Registered
2 Posts
good luck

·
Registered
371 Posts
I don't know if Honda Customer Service in canada is differet than Honda Customer Service in the USA but I had completely the opposite experience with the same problem. I don't doubt what your saying but when my cylinder head had a small crack and was leaking, it was fixed and fixed "right" in a couple days. After a couple attempts by the dealer to fix it, I called Honda and talked to a real nice guy named David. This was on a Wednesday. Two days later On Friday, the dealer called and said the parts were in. I dropped the Rincon off on Friday and three days later on Monday, it was done, and this was over the weekend. They replaced the cylinder head, upper and lower head gaskets and the rings. If you do a search you will find where I posted about this experience. David at Honda even called "me" at my home after the repairs to ask if the repair was done to my satisfaction. As far as the Polaris 700. I sold an 02 SP700 and bought the Rincon. The SP700 was the biggest POS I ever owned. Every time I rode it, something else broke. It had to have been in the shop at least ten times. I could tell you a couple horror stories about their customer service but it's too long to get into here. Let me say that Polaris has the most arrogant customer service dept. that I have ever encountered and at least in my experience, "NO" they didn't back up their bike. Not in my case anyhow.I got rid of the Polaris SP700 for the Rincon and I couldn't be happier. Anyway, I'm sorry to here about your experience.

·
Registered
424 Posts
T-Bone, I sincerely feel sorry for you and the terrible situation you've been put in. I know if I were in your shoes, I'd also be cursing Honda and their Rincon every chance I got. However in this case, I believe the biggest reason you're unhappy is because of your dealer. Honda has had two known mechanical problems with the Rincon: weak oil pump o-rings and faulty water pumps (the last one caused by a bad weep hole tube design). Unfortunately you've experienced both these problems within the first 600km. The bad head gasket you've encountered is the first one I've run into for a Rincon, or any newer Honda for that matter. I believe the head gasket situation is just bad luck; it could happen to anyone but unfortunately it happened to you. Your dealer took forever to diagnose the faulty o-rings; that is the dealer's fault. Your dealer also improperly replaced the head gasket, again your dealer's fault. Honda is willingly replacing the faulty oil pump o-rings on affected units free of charge to their customers, even if the warranty has expired. My Rincon had 2700 km when the o-rings blew and was six months passed the warranty. Honda told me not to worry about paying for the repair, they had it all covered. I have over 4200 km on my Rincon and this is the only problem I've had. I'm even on the original brakes front and back.

Regarding the water pump, early 2004 Rincons had the old weep hole tube design and were prone to the same trouble as 2003 models. Again, with a little smooth talking from your dealer, Honda will pay for this repair under warranty regardless of the warranty situation.

If your dealer had properly diagnosed the o-ring problem form the start and properly replaced the faulty head gasket, you would have a Rincon that has had both known mechanical problems fixed almost form the start, and an improperly factory installed head gasket easily replaced. You would have nothing but smooth sailing from here on in. Again, I believe you're biggest gripe should be with your dealer, but I understand why you would be angry at Honda also.

I know you don't want to hear this, but you will not get better customer service from Polaris; in fact it is a big step back. I work at a dealership that sells Honda and Polaris and have seen countless times Polaris refusing to perform repairs on machines still in the warranty period. Honda does just the opposite, they really do stand by their product. Also, no manufacturer is going to give you a brand new machine, no matter how much trouble you've had with yours. That's just not the way things work.

I'm not sure if this helped or not, or if it is what you wanted to hear. I really do feel your pain and understand if you never buy a Honda product again. You paid good money for your Rincon and expected trouble free operation out of it. I also think that once you really think about it, you will understand that most of what you're going through is plainly your dealer's fault.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey ATVtech / Picky

Thanks for the input regarding my concerns. Honda Canada is saying that they have not heard of the water pump problems or at least not telling me about it. As far as the overheasting problem and the head gasket - The exhaust gas was leaking into my coolant and causing is to overhead, The dealer said that the head was warped and Honda finally aggread to put a new one on after a battle between the dealer and Honda Tech team. The real problem here that I didn't say was I started out with asking for a new bike, then as the battle went on I asked for at least a 6 month extended warranty on the bike since it has spent more that 2 months of the 5 months I have owned it in the shop. What really pissed me of was Honda Canada said NO, not even that. It would be on a case-by-case bases. That means after the warranty next month they could tie my balls in a knot and tell me to jump of a cliff if they wanted to. Honda Canada and Honda America are a little different when it come to resolving matters. I need to protect my investment anyway possible. There has been some major work done to this bike in it's early life and money just does not grow on a tree in my back yard. I have worked hard for this bike and all I am trying to do is look after my investment. Honda need to step up to the plate when there product lets them down and learn that in order to gain customers they need to look after the ones they have. Word of mouth is a powerful tool in todays world and even if it's the dealer fault or not, Honda needs to resolve it with the dealer and not have the customer do it for them. That why it said Honda on the dealers buliding. If Honda is not happy with the dealer over time - they will shut them down before they know it.

Once again guys thanks for the input and that it's important that items like this and others are talked about to help others in this chat group resolve probems or help guild people to understand things.

T-Bone

·
Registered
424 Posts
I understand what you're saying, I would be very unhappy also. If Honda told you they know nothing about faulty water pumps, then they plainly lied to your face. Honda sent out a "Shop Talk" to all dealers regarding the faulty water pumps some time ago.

Have you decided what your next step is? I hope your Rincon gets fixed and you can really enjoy everything it has to offer. It isn't the best mudder, but it's hard to beat as a trail machine; its fun factor is out of this world. I was thinking of maybe trading mine in next year, but I may wait a while. It really is a lot of fun to ride and mine has been very reliable.

If you decide to sell it and buy a SP 700, realize that the SP 700 is a totally different machine. It's more of a worker/mudder than a sporty trail bike. There isn't much that can stop a SP 700, and there isn't much you can't tow. However it is almost 200 pounds heavier than a Rincon and is much, much harder to handle on tight trails. It all depends on what you want to do with your ATV. I was going to mention that the Polaris won't be as reliable as the Rincon over the long haul, but after your first 600 km, it might actually be an improvement. Generally, Hondas do hold up better over time. I really do feel bad for you. Please keep us posted on your progress.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hey guys

Made some good headway today regarding my bike. I was contacted from someone higher within Honda regarding the problems with my bike. They agreed had the bike has some problems that should be taken care of and wanted to let me know that there is talks with higher athority to resolve my issues. I was asked to wait till early next week for a answer regarding what was going to be offered. Well at least the progress is better that early this week. I agreed and told them that I would be willing to hear what they had to offer.

Keep you posted

P.S They said that they are doing everything they can to get a new gasket to the dealer and to have the bike back to me by Friday.

T-Bone

·
Registered
371 Posts
Glad to hear that things are starting to go your way.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts