Honda Rincon Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This has been dogging me for weeks, and the guy working on it is no closer to getting it done. I've bought another machine, and this one has to go, but it needs to be running first.

Motor runs fine, IF I can get it started. But the starter works only intermittently. I know the solenoid is good. I've put 2 brand new ones in, same result. You hit the starter, and the solenoid makes a click, you can both hear it and feel it. So, that's working. But, I don't know the exact conditions under which the starter won't work. The other weekend, it started right up, but then refused to restart. Recoil pull start once warmed up, but hit or miss as to whether the starter would run.

OK, installed a brand new AGM 325CCA battery. Nope. Just now, I went out there and ran jumper cables from my truck to the machine, no battery installed. Cranked, but real slow, not the normal speed, but it DID start. Odd, when it was running like that, truck still hooked up, the oil/temp light was flashing.
Got rid of the jumper cables, installed a 220CCA battery from the sled. Pretty sure it's good. Nope, just the solenoid click. Pull started it, let it run a few minutes. Shut off, and the starter started it fine 3 times in a row, totally normal cranking speed and sound. No warning light flashing.

Incidentally, I'm told you can install the solenoid backwards. How do you tell what that is?

Thoughts, next steps? I'm leaning towards the starter.

Thanks, Seth

·
Registered
92 Posts
Remove the starter and check the brushes, clean and lube everything up and re-install. OR replace the starter. Good luck....

·
Registered
92 Posts
They come out pretty easy. I removed mine from my 06 Rincon in 10 minutes going slow. Check youtube for videos...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think I got this figured out yesterday. Got the plastic panel over the starter off. Tried to start, wouldn't. Tapped the starter VERY lightly with a deab blow mallet. Starter worked. I've done this repeatedly between yesterday and today. Ordered an OEM used starter off of Ebay.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So, I got the used starter, very easy install. Works mint, used it this weekend, it started fine repeatedly. Thanks for the help!

·
Premium Member
505 Posts
You could probably clean up the brushes and commutator and have a good spare, though I’d also take ohm meter readings of the segments to make sure none are open circuit or dead short.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts