Honda Rincon Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello all

not reverse limiter

i have been looking at the wiring diagram in the service book.. i have notice a wiring that comes off the ecm then it goes to the transmission control module...now it seems to me that if the rev limiter kicks in at a rpm level then it would make sence to have it go to the transmission control module...look at page 512 and look for a wire called "lim ret" does this mean limiter return? if so is it what i think it is? or i'am wrong? i'am talking about the limiter when you are in drive not reverse..

i wish i had schmatic (wiring diagram) of the ecm and transmission control module ( meaning the "inside wiring"

thanks

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
find the wiring diagram ... i have it on cd so that is why i say page 512 its in pdf form...sorry about that

·
Registered
322 Posts
Hmm...the "LIM RET" is a brown wire that runs from the ECM to the TCM. You would think the rev limiter would be tied in with the coil somewhere, but it is not. But, my schematic reading skills are a little rusty. When two wires cross each other like a + does that mean the are spliced together? I didn't think it did, but I may be wrong.

If it does mean they connect, then the "LIM RET" is tied in with the coil.

·
Premium Member
1,963 Posts
I believe "+" means they are spliced together. When they are not spliced together the line is curved " ( " as it crosses another one as I remember.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
no + means they do not connetced but IF this is the rev limiter it won't have to be tied to the coil cuase the cpu ( ecm) would send the signal need to the coil...but i could be wrong on this if i had my atv here i would put a volt meter on that line to see what voltage it shows when the machine is in idle and when its in drive...

also a . would mean connection....

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
if ya what to double check on what i say about the + take a ohm meter and that will tell ya if there is a connection :)

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
http://www.aaroncake.net/electronics/schem.htm

click on the schmatic symbols up on top (under the word symbols) + then below it will tell you what it is...

http://www.geocities.com/ResearchTriangle/Facility/9209/components/wires.html

that url might explain it better :)

·
Registered
322 Posts
Ok, then the "LIM RET" must not be the rev limiter. The rev limiter would be connected to the coil and the stator (to detect the RPMs). The LIM RET is a wire connected directly from the ECM to the TCM. Not sure what it does.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
hummm i know what you are saying but i bet that is all built into the ecm don't the coil or pulse gen hook back to the ecm? ( i don't have cd here to look at it more)

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
you would think something has to tell the ecm when the rpm/speed is reached to "cut it out" meaning mis-spark....

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i guess i was thinking that the tcm would feed the ecm what the rpm/speed is...then the ecm would cut out the spark....i wish i had a old ecm here so i could see what i.c's it has in it.....

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
i guess i was thinking that the tcm would feed the ecm what the rpm/speed is...then the ecm would cut out the spark....i wish i had a old ecm here so i could see what i.c's it has in it.....

·
Registered
322 Posts
I think the only limiter that goes off of speed readings would be the reverse limiter. The RPM limiter reads the engine RPMs to activate it. Because, no matter how fast your going or what gear your in, the limiter activates at around 7000 RPMs.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
i see what you are saying so maybe could that wire be for the "reverse limiter"
this is just a thought its got to be a limiter return for something but is it what we think it is. hard to tell and for the rpm reading what senser does that?
pulse gen? you would think there would be a way to trick it even if you have to tell it that it is running at 5,000rpm BUT really it would be at 8,000rpm...

i'am sure if there was a way it would have been done. i guess i'am thinking out loud...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts