Honda Rincon Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a set of 589s on my Rincon and I am having major mixed feelings. First of all, I ride with some guys who have Polaris 450s and I used to blow their doors off. Now, they beat me with distinction. I went from 25 stock tires/wheels to ITP 589s, 26,9 in the front and 26,12 in the back. I love the handling, climbing ability, going through mud with ease; but I can't stand losing all that power.

I have a Big Gun Sport Utility Series pipe on its way here, I hope that helps somewhat. We ride mostly on trails, creek beds, creeks/water, sand beaches and mud.

Any ideas? Thanks!

·
Premium Member
3,800 Posts
Your gonna lose some power going to those tires. They weigh a heck of a lot more than the factory tires and wheels. Plus being a little taller you lose a little of the gearing. I went with 27 Mudlites and ITP cast wheels and noticed a big difference. I recently ordered some ITP ATRs to use for most of my riding and will put my mudlites on the factory wheels for mud riding.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I have the same size 589's as you with steel wheels and I was feeling the same way you are after I put them on, but I finally broke down and put a 2" exhaust tip and a jet kit with a K&N filter and that was the answer I got 99% of the power back that I lost with the over size tires and extra weight. I would suggest doing the same thing and you will be very happy with the tires and the performance mods.

·
Registered
807 Posts
People, people, people. I see so many posts here that are only concerned with top speed and the shock when their mods lose some of that speed. Put things in perspective guys. If you put bicycle tires on the rinny it will go faster.(but only on pavement) If you install "tracks" is will go slower, (but through anything). Everything is a tradeoff and directly related to facts. Weight, tire diameter, type tires, incorrect mixture etc. etc., will all affect speed, taction and performance. The stock Rincon by design, is a Hybrid Quad. When you make mods, you have to consider your needs and expectations and use the best combination for those specific, INDIVIGUAL, driving needs. To suggest or imply that what you like or works for you....will make someone else happy may not be the case. Make sure to qualify your evaluations of performance and mods with your own driving habits. And those reading the posts on mods need to keep that in mind too. Just my observation.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the info so far. i was curious. should this big gun pipe make a big difference? it claims 20% more torque and 15% more hp. do you think i will need to re-jet too? i don't want to have to re-jet if i don't have too. would really like to just add the pipe and have all my power back.

thanks again fellas.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Rincon_og.... Your loss of power is not from your enigne, it's load and gearing due to the tire change. If you want more power from your enigine, you have to supply more. The pipe will allow more flow, but you need more air in to acheive the extra flow. ie/ K&N air filter. Then with more flow you need more fuel for the mixture.....which means = Re-jet. If you don't, not only will you not get the power, you may be running lean and could damage your engine.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
can you suggest a jet kit? i have seen the dyno's on ebay for fairly cheap. couple more q's...

1. if i get the k/n filter, dyno jet kit and add that pipe should my engine be safe? will i get the power back? what type of jet kit do i need and with my elevation in mind, do i need to really ensure i got the right one or are most jet kits the same?

2. what if i just add the pipe?

3. what if i switch to mudlites? do i still need to worry about rejetting, etc?

thanks very much.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
also please keep in mind that I am in Houston...at 0 elevation (sea level)...SXflyer I guess you aren't much different eh.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Don't buy a jet kit from the guy on Ebay that sells them for $33,
he charges $12 shipping when it should be $4 and it may be 2 months
before you get it.
Read his feedback. I know several who bought, and had to threaten
him with Ebay complaints and legal action thru PayPal before they got
their jet kit. Pay a little more and avoid the hassles. One person
got it three months after it was paid for. The lady who sells Rincon
hitches and roller faileads on Ebay (justjen I think is her handle)
bought one, it took 2 months. Rocky Mountain ATV sells them for $49
and are alot faster.

·
Registered
807 Posts
rincon_og... If you switch to Mudlites and retain the 25" diameter, you'll probably not notice much difference in performance from stock. The acceleration loss is due to the change in tire diameter which effectively changes the final gearing.(some is weight & tire width too) Your top speed with the 26 inchers might even be a little more if checked before & after with a GPS. Your Rincon's speedo will not indicate your true speed after a tire diameter change. The pipe alone might releive some back pressure, but I doubt you'll notice a real increase in power (mostly imagined) and it could still cause you a too-lean mixture. If acceleration is what you want, stick with 25's. If more power is what you want, go the whole route - air, fuel and exhaust. And hopefully some day soon they will have a timing module to round it out for a real power gain. And yes, I am at sea level too. Just for info, I run 28" -589's, a MBRP pipe, K&N, Dyno, I still get 64 on the GPS. But still with a noticeable loss of acceleration from stock. Probably won't be able to make that up unless the engine's real power can be released from it's detuning.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i am going to get a jet kit and do it all. i was looking at them and all i found was a 'stage 1' jet kit. is this what i want? what is the factory pilot and sub jet size/settings.

you have been a wealth of information and help...thanks! long live the rincon message board!

·
Registered
280 Posts
I will be putting mudlites on mine this fall, and 25"ers are what will be going on it. With series 5 rims. Acceleration is more important to me than top end
or ground clearance. ;o)

Stage 1 is all they make for the Rinny(as far as I have seen). Higher stages are for racing quads or highly modified engines.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have the 589's on my ride and I love them. I dont feel my Rincon is fast at all, it feels rather slow to me for having a 650 engine. I also have the stalling problem when climbing hills, logs or turning around in a tight area. All in all I live with these things because if I rejet I may get the problem of running lean or having the quad over heat. I like my quad quiet so when I go to places I am not too sure I sould be... I wont get busted or irritate the land owner.

Is there a way to get the Rincon to stop stalling on me without spending a lot of $$$ or risking the lean mixture problem or over heating problem??? I dont want to trade one problem for another, after all if the machine stalls you just need to hit the button and go.

Thanks

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
hcg - what size are your 589s? my rinny lost a lot of speed when i put my 26 inchers on there. from what i understand, if you rejet, add the silencer and k/n filter you will be ok.

i am rejetting mine this week and maybe switching to mudlites but i haven't decided yet. i love the 589s just hate the power loss.

you guys have all been really helpful...thanks very much.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
i just returned my 589s for some mudlites and i am happy! much lighter, much better for sand...and still a mean look.

got a mossey jet kit too...will throw that on when my pipe comes in

1 - 16 of 16 Posts