Honda Rincon Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last weekend I was out riding on the edge of the bay in some slush and snow... Brought the machine home... Stood it up on the back rack.... Sprayed all the ice and dirt out... Pushed it in the corner and let it dry...

This weekend, I was going to head out.... The dash has two dashes and says ESP in the gear selector spot and it flashes three times then a pause. Called the dealer, he said you have water in you handlebar shifter... He said spray it with WD40.... Did that... reset the computer... Worked for 2 minutes and back... Im stuck in 2nd gear...

So in to the dealer it goes... Not looking forward to this.. I hate it when these guys work on this.... Anyone else have this happen...

B

·
Registered
46 Posts
MU, Try taking the switch loose from the handlebars and cleaning it with elec. contact cleaner then hit it with the WD-40. The WD-40 only displaces the moisture it won't get rid of it. But make sure whatever you use it's safe for plastic......

Mike

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did hit it with CRC before the wd..... Hoping..... But, maybe I should get something a little more harsh.... I will run to the auto parts store on lunch...

Still this seems to be BS... Its a quad... Its gonna get wet... It this a common thing..???

·
Registered
46 Posts
MU, Berryman makes the best contact cleaner I have found. You can get it at any Auto Zone..Also did you thank to check the connection under the dash pod were the switch plugs in..Just a thought....Good luck!! lets us know what you find out.

Mike

·
Registered
130 Posts
Still this seems to be BS... Its a quad... Its gonna get wet...

I don't know how wet you got it and I wouldn’t even try to guess, everybody has a different level how to gauge these things. In industry, there are standards that rate the resistance to water exposure. Everything from "Do not get wet" to total immersion with no time limit. These bikes will take more abuse than I would ever put it through in two lifetimes. Look at the photo albums on some of the other boards. Some of these guys have them looking like submarines in a mud hole.

I would say, be honest with yourself and ask the following questions:

1.) Did I need SCUBA gear at the time my bike got wet?

2.) Did I use a 2400lb. pressure washer to thoroughly clean all the little electrical connections?

3.) Should I have through dried and blown off all electrical components with gentle use of compressed air.

4.) Could I have done a better job of preventing this?

If you said yes to any of these, then you share the blame in causing the problem. Nothing can be made to withstand the punishment of the "General Population" They are perceived as "Toys", but are really complex machines. I don't mean to offend you, but just treat your Rincon with respect (within its design requirements) and it will take care of you. Beat the crap out of it if you wish, but don't hold it responsible when it breaks.

My 2 cents...

·
Registered
121 Posts
The service manual says that, a problem code #3 is a GEARSHIFT SWITCH or related wire harness, or ECM connection

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Pablo,

I agree with your statement above.... And I answered no to all your questions.... While riding the quad was never in water, only slushy snow. While cleaning it, with a hose hooked to city water, no pressure washer, would have been the only time it would have got wet. The only thing I did different this time was to stand the bike up on the rear rack for cleaning, like most here recomend, and have had good luck with. I would think a quad should be able to withstand a good cleaning...although my cleaning was more to remove slush and ice from the underside.

Trailboss,
Thanks for the heads up... My dealer told me the same thing... and I traced wires everywhere, using contact cleaner and wd. I finaly gave up late last night, and took it to the dealer. He said after what I went through it was most likely a defective part.... And if it was it would take 5 to 7 days to get it in.... My jaw hit the ground.... Well good thing the snow is going away so maybe the 400ex can come out...

I will keep everyone updated... Sorry for the book, and thanks for the help.

B

·
Registered
130 Posts
I agree that the part must be defective. These electrical connections and switches must be good for normal wet conditions ie. water hose, rain, normal riding conditions, etc. I am glad that the dealer is standing behind you on the replacement. Good luck...

·
Registered
29 Posts
Same happened to me.I checked my ECM connection behind battery box and it was a little dirtry. I greased it and its fine now. But i really suspect that i just had frozen water in a connection that caused this problem. It was warmer when I fixed and I suspect that the ice in the connection melted and the problem went away on it's own.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
widow maker,

Thanks for the info.... I am still waiting for a call from the dealer.... I am going to take this thing apart and grease every connection... I can see where this could make a bad day if it happened at the wrong time....

I will let you know what the dealer says....

Brian

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Got the machine back.... It was water in the connector under the display..... Must have happened when I had the maching standing up.... and sprayed water from the bottom up there... Oh well... Im going to load everything up with grease......

Thanks for the help...
B

·
Registered
116 Posts
The ECU connector is a MUST. It's a bitch to get to. It's located behind the battery box. Remove the right side cover and the rear brake reservoir (1 bolt) and find a small kid to undo the connector. Grease the hell out it. Made mine go DEEP.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts