Honda Rincon Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted this over in the ATVexplorers forum as well.

Here where I work, the Rincon is popular and seems to be owned by the majority.
Most have had good luck with ownership. One fellow has two that he bought at the same time in Richfield, UT. One has developed a problem shifting, or rather, a problem engaging from an idle. He says that it very “Jerky” when applying throttle. The engine speed increases and then finally the transmission decides it is time to drop in and thus the “Jerk”. He says that it is still rideable, but is not nearly as smooth as the other bike that he bought, side-by-side at the same time. I suggested resetting the TPS (Throttle Position Sensor) but this is yet to be tried.

Have you guys had a similar situation and corrected it? Any thoughts on this are appreciated.

Paul…

·
Registered
91 Posts
I have noticed that also, it feels like it has a small stall in the converter
, it has never bothered me, kinda like it. but with 275 miles on mine it still will only do 58 mph

·
Registered
576 Posts
I also bought two of them and one is smooth, while the other has the same problem as you are describing. My dealer said, of course, that it is normal. I do not think that it is normal, I think the creep control clutch is not adjusted correctly, and that this problem could be adjusted out. If enough of us gripe about it online, it could affect Honda's sales numbers, and then maybe they could direct their dealers to go ahead and fix the stupid thing under warranty.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Jay,
Your best arguement is having two. Don't let the dealer give you a line of bull. Make him fix the slipping one until it performs like the other. They don't have a leg to stand on when you can show him the other one operating properly. I have two also and have had to use that method repeatedly. They shake their heads, and make many attempts to repair before actually fixing, but at least they can't feed me that "it's normal" shit!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Mine does the same thing. When it's cold, I put it in gear and it will sit for about 4 seconds before moving and when warmed up, it will jerk when you give it the gas a little while in gear. It has 140 miles on it now but just started this with about 100 miles on it.....and it's out of warrenty. Will calling Honda and complaining help?

·
Registered
322 Posts
What you guys are experiencing is the bike coming out of the "creep control" mode and engaging into gear. The throttle position sensor (TPS) tells the tranny when the throttle is open, thus, engaging the transmission so you can move. Mine goes smooth as silk. My friends has a little jerk to it. I believe it has something to do with your TPS Ohms resistance. The service manual says what it supposed to be at, but Honda has updated that since then and it's something different now. You will probably have to adjust it to spec and it should engage smooth as silk.

57ringo, not sure if your thinking the same thing as me, but when I start my Rincon up after letting it sit all night and immediatly put it into gear I have to push the trottle a bit and it takes off really sluggishly. There is nothing to worry about there. That is simpley just the oil moving through the transmission. You have to remember that it's oil that makes the transmission work (without it the tranny wouldn't work enough to even move the bike). Anyway, when you don't give the oil enough time to warm up and circulate a bit, it is thick and takes a little time to travel through all of its ports in the transmission, making it a little sluggish when immediately taking off. But as soon as you get it moving (which only takes about a second or two) everything is fine and it should take off normal because all of the oil has now been circulated through the transmission.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I can start mine up after sitting awhile...still warm and put in gear and it takes four seconds with no throttle applied till it starts moving. Then I can shift into D or R and just start to apply the throttle and it hits like dropping the clutch, enough to just slip the tires. It didn't do any of this until recently. I restore cars and have rebuilt some automatic transmissions and this acts as if something has messed up inside it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts