Honda Rincon Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have a K&N Airfilter, Prefilter, and JetKit. The Jet kit is running the 146Needle I belive and somewhere between 2.75 and 3 turns our on the AF screw. I think I am going to get the 2" exhaust tip for sell on ebay.

My question is with this exhaust mod will I need to rejet the carb with a different needle? If this is the case I think I will leave it as it is unless mike wants to help me out again :) ?

Also, the Exhaust tip is 39.99 plus 9.50 in shipping. I feel like that is high for a peice of SS tubing and a flange that is tig welded...what do yall think?

·
Premium Member
831 Posts
I think it is high as well. $50.00 plus another $15 or so for a spark arrestor that will work with that tip. Seems like a lot for no more then you are getting.

Take a look here and read Rhino's review about the 2" tip:
http://www.houseofrhino.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=36#

It would be nice to have the deeper tone and stainless look, but I will wait a while and see if the price comes down like it has with the stainless hitches.

Also, you stated you had the 146 needle installed, what you really have is the size 146 jet installed. The needle is a separate item. It is the toothpick looking item that regulates the fuel flow through the jet.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Jason,

I live in the Tallahassee area which may be a little lower elevation than you but I have my Rincon set the exact same way as you, with the 2" exhaust. It seems to still be a froghair rich but I would rather have it a little rich than a little lean! I've never blown one up running it a little rich!

Yeah, the $50 tag on that SS tip is tough to take but it is still a lot cheaper than an aftermarket exhaust! Granted, you don't get the same performance boost that you would with a freeflow exhaust but you don't get the noise either! All in all, I am happy with mine, $50 bill and all!

·
Registered
54 Posts
I am running the exact same setup with the #144 jet. I had the #146 in but it was running a little rich and I lost a little top end so I went back to the #144 and gained my top end back. I am at about 700 ft. The warmer it gets outside the richer the machine will run. It has to do with air density. This isn't as critical with 4 strokes as it is with 2 strokes. But in the case of power more is always better. Remember leaner is meaner but if it running too good then it is probably about ready to blow up.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hey there Buck!

I will be doing some testing this weekend. I'll let you know how it comes out. Right now, when I wind her out doing WOT and then back all the way off, she backfires through the exhaust. When I pull the plug though, all I see is a pretty copper brown color on the ceramic and electrode. I wish I saw some black or something so I felt justified in going through the hassle of changing out to the DJ144.

I wonder, color wise on the spark plug, how much difference going from a DJ146 to a DJ144 would make? What does your plug look like after a WOT run and you hit the key?

Maybe as summer gets nearer, I'll be able to justify the effort!

·
Registered
84 Posts
I have done this same mod to my machine. Have experienced the same result, WOT to fast stop, get a bang out of the pipe. Not all of the time but often enough to know something needs adjusted. I am using the 144 main and have added a spark arrestor to the tip.

Is this a lean mixture screw condition? I haven't done anything to the exhaust so that sort of rules out an exhaust leak.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I Installed a UNI filter, a 2" exhaust mod and Dynojet this week. I am running a 146 main, clip in 2nd notch, 2 3/4 turns out on mix. A good gain in mid and bottom about 4 mph on top on the rev limiter. I made a spark arrester out of some fairly large ss screen I found in the scrap pile at work. With my stock tires it would run about 62(on rev limiter). I put 26" mud lites on and it would only do 58 and never would reach rev limiter. With the mods Im at 62 on the limiter. I wonder how much diference the tires make(actual speed vs Indicated). I am sure of one thing though, I did not have enough power to get to the rev limiter with the mud lites before.

·
Registered
14 Posts
The rev. limiter stops it at around 60mph, and the constant velocity carb. spring stops it from being aggressive ( Honda lawyers don’t want it to wheelie? ). Get a dyno-jet kit, install the dyno-jet CV spring and needle w/ the clip in the 4th slot on the needle without washers under the clip. Throw away the main jets that come with the dyno-jet kit the'er way to lean. Use a #40 pilot W/ air the air screw at 3 turns out and a #158 main jet below 5000' or a #155 main jet above 5000' and it will blow away a grizzly or 700 sportsman from 0-50 mph. I haven’t run into a Kaw. 700 so I don’t know about them. I’ve changed five rincons using this set-up and they are all nasty fast up to 50 mph. I haven’t figured out how Honda is de-tuning the engine above 50 mph yet (retard the spark or control the CV carb. slide). If any of you know e-mail me [email protected]

1 - 8 of 8 Posts