Honda Rincon Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 2008 Honda Rincon 680 with only 1700 miles always shedded,
When I first started riding it I would almost immediately lose power like the motor bogged down and it would not move I would put it in neutral idle for a while and then it would move again it would do this six or eight times within one hour I knew my battery was weak so I put a new battery in that I bought from Honda but I’m still having the same problem, I called Honda and they said I either had an issue with my oil or possible voltage regulator, The previous owner had just change the oil so I did not check it until today and I barely have oil on the stick so I’m guessing or hoping The issue is from being low on oil I won’t know for a couple days till I make it back to the Honda dealer to buy the correct oil has anyone ever heard of this issue or does anyone have any thoughts or advice? Many thanks

·
Registered
60 Posts
Oil level is best just above the full mark with dipstick not screwed in.
Check level about 10min after shutting down engine.
May not be your problem but is a good start.

·
Super Moderator
6,619 Posts
Usually low oil will create a "slipping" effect where the engine rpm's will go up as you slow down. These older fuel injected Rincons have a fuel strainer/filter in the fuel pump. The filter was redesigned a few years ago. Fuel flow restriction would give you that bogged down effect, unable to rev in gear or reach top speed. It would idle all day long but as soon as you put a load on the motor it begins to starve for fuel and would act as you describe.

I just posted this info on another similar thread.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Usually low oil will create a "slipping" effect where the engine rpm's will go up as you slow down. These older fuel injected Rincons have a fuel strainer/filter in the fuel pump. The filter was redesigned a few years ago. Fuel flow restriction would give you that bogged down effect, unable to rev in gear or reach top speed. It would idle all day long but as soon as you put a load on the motor it begins to starve for fuel and would act as you describe.

I just posted this info on another similar thread.
My RPMs never go down When it bogs down it’s like all the brakes come on and I’m unable to move I’ll put it in neutral and then back in drive and I can go again.

·
Super Moderator
6,619 Posts
Not sure what you mean. If the RPM's never go down, yet it feels like the brakes are on, I would suspect the RPM's would also go down. If the clutches are slipping (low oil) then the machine will slow down but the RPM's stay higher meaning they (clutches) are slipping, as you indicated low oil. Lets see what happens when you get the correct amount of oil in it. Do you see any -- blinks on the dash when that happens?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Not sure what you mean. If the RPM's never go down, yet it feels like the brakes are on, I would suspect the RPM's would also go down. If the clutches are slipping (low oil) then the machine will slow down but the RPM's stay higher meaning they (clutches) are slipping, as you indicated low oil. Lets see what happens when you get the correct amount of oil in it. Do you see any -- blinks on the dash when that happens?
No blinks on the dash but after talking to Honda again they are certain it’s because I’m low on oil and oil pressure causing the clutches to slip I’ll find out soon I’m about to put more oil in, Thanks a lot

1 - 6 of 6 Posts