Honda Rincon Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this has been discussed over and over but I need opinions on what size mudlites to go with, 25 or 26? I know what widths I want of each but need to know how significant the power loss is with the 26". I have only added the larger exhaust tip, no other mods. Not being able to wheelie or go 65mph isn't a concern, will my Rinny not be able to get out of its own way with the larger tire? The wife decided to get me tires for my birthday so I need to make up my mind by the weekend when we go pick them up. From what I have read I'm torn in both directions, can anyone help make up my mind?

·
Registered
613 Posts
THis was my old post.....Just installed my new ITP mudlites on T-5 wheels; 26x10x12 all around... I took it out for a ride.Very little difference in the ride but still just as smooth as the stocks, Didn't notice much of a power loss, I still can bring the front end up. The 10's on the front do catch a little bit more on rocks but i will have to adjust to it...I love the look !!!! addition photo's in profile..

I had the same thoughts about 25" or 26" what made me go to the 26's was looks and deeper treads.. For the money i went with the larger rubber...

·
Registered
800 Posts
i know how you feel,been there done that lol.i went with the 26" because alot of the members on here have them and spoke highly about them. i live on a old farm (118 acres) and have both trails and open fields. while riding trails (5 to 30 mph) the 26" are great. it turns better and goes though stuff 99% of the time.on hard pack and at slow speeds you can feel the the deep lugs of the tire hitting the road. i like to ride fast in my fields (40 50 60 mph) with the 26" i have lost a little top end and i find the tranny downshifting alot more to keep me going fast.i push my rinny out of my garage each time befor i start it and it just dose not roll as easy as when it had the stock tires. the best tire for the rinny just might be 2 sets of tires (26" for spring+winter+mud) or (25" for summer+fall).i will be getting another set of tires+rims,either 25" mudlites or 25" itp holeshot atr,that way i can pick and choose depending on what type of rideing i pland on doing. just telling it like i see it, hope this helps

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That does help, I am leaning toward the 26" for those same reasons but the loss of power concerns me. I may end up doing a filter and jet kit next summer but don't want HAVE to so my rinny isn't a dog after going up an inch in tire size. Anyone with experiences of power loss or no power loss please speak up, I would love to hear your thoughts on it.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I upgraded to 26" ITP 589's and 2" exhust tip at the same time. Minor loss in power. Well worth the trade off. I'd do exactly the same thing again. I'm adding the Jetkit and filter next.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Hey Jason, Your not alone, I was in the same place....But !!! It's a give and take, If you add a Jetkit and filter, you will gain most of your power back. But you will lose a little, as i said before I didn't notice much... You need to do what makes you happy..Say with 25's.

·
Premium Member
3,800 Posts
I had the 27 inch mudlites and really only notice a loss of power in real sandy conditions. I think the 26's would be great. I have replaced my mudlites with ITP ATR's but kept the mudlites to install onto my factory wheels for mudding.

·
Registered
47 Posts
mjpjr45- I am interested in the ATR's for trail riding. What is your opinion of them so far? Do they have pretty decent traction? How about in the wet muddy stuff. I have 25" mudlites and they are great, but I want to put something on for the longer trips I do that has a smoother ride but still hooks up. Thanks.

Jason N- if you do any mudding at all go bigger with the mudlites. I have the 25" and they are good in the mud, but a bigger tire would be way better. I don't think the little bit of power loss you will get will be anything that you will notice much at all.

·
Premium Member
3,800 Posts
I haven't had them very long but they ride just like the stock tires but handle better. I've only gone through a little mud with no problems but it wasn't very bad. They have really good traction. They are derictional and the tread design is almost a backwards chevron if you really look at it.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Go with the 26" mudlites there worth every penny. And look awsome, and work awsome.

·
Registered
47 Posts
mj- thanks for the info. I'll have to check them out.

·
Registered
60 Posts
i am going to look at radial bighorns when my stockers are shot....i also have a set of 26 in mudlights that are great.....but i prefer the stockers for long dry days.....

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks again for all the responses, i am on my way out now to pick them up, going to be an awesome birthday present from the wife for the big 30! I'm staying with the stock wheels for now though, maybe a filter and jet kit in my future too! Thanks again and I will hopefully report back when I get to ride them.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Got my mudlites, even though ITP's website doesn't show it, they make a Mudlite in 26x9x12, so I went with those in the front and 26x10x12 in the rear. If anyone is interested in where they came from it was a mail order company based near me in MA called Ronnies, www.ronnies.com is their website. With tax they came up to about $250, not too bad, their service was awesome so it was worth a couple extra bucks. They look great and I can't to take it for a ride.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So I took the Rinny out for a ride this weekend and the Mudlites were all that I had hoped for and more. I didn't notice much of a difference in power by going up 1" in diameter. The cornering was much tighter, didn't feel like I was going to high side it all the time. The ride isn't quite as soft but that's alright with me, the added feedback from the trail is appreciated. Steering is much different, at 4 psi the bars turn with little to no resistance from the tires dragging. In the rocks and roots they did very well, definetely a more rough ride than the stockers but that's to be expected. In the mud, well, as the name implies, they were awesome. I went though some stuff that I would have needed 4x4 to get through with the old ones, if I was lucky enough to not get stuck! I stayed with the stock wheels and went with a 26x9 in the front and 26x10 in the rear. Because of the difference in wheel widths I am a little concerned with the front tires having a larger outside diameter than the rears but many people here have been running 26x10 all around, which would make the fronts even taller, and have had no problems. Here she is with her new shoes!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts