Honda Rincon Forum banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took RobG's advise and sold the rincon and got a Yamaha Grizzly and Its the most AWESOME atv I have EVER ridden!!!! Here is a quick "snap" of my purchase/first ride

Ok, I will start by saying that I have always ridden “red” with the exception of a Kawasaki Bayou 220. I have also been very Leary of anything different because of the money involved.

Well, last Saturday me and my brother (also VERY avid Honda fan) went to Corinth MS. to get my new Honda Rubicon. As we walked in my brother was distracted by the massive Yamaha rhino sitting outside with 27” mudzillas on the new “rock crusher” c-series wheels. So, I decided to “look” at the “infamous” grizzly being as so many people talk about and have this machine, and it was right next to the honda rubicon. I immediately noticed that the grizzly was not only larger, with more ground clearance and a bigger engine, but it was only $300 more!!!! This was because it was a 2004 model and the last one at that. Well, this sparked my interest and I asked to drive it. When I gave it gas I anticipated a very sluggish machine. It was actually rather snappy and quick!! The great ride and adjustable suspension wasn’t enough to sway me from my fear of belts and I asked the salesman to write me up the red rubicon. The paperwork was complete and they began to drive it to the doors to install my boot guards when I hollered out “hold on!” Well, to make a REALLY long story short I ended up getting the grizzly, and to my surprise Yamaha had a sale where you got a warn 2.5ci winch and mounting hardware for $69. I quickly bought that as well!

Now, for the ride review I was riding with my brother (Rubicon) my dad (Rincon) and a friend (Forman 400). Me being the only Yamaha there and having a belt I caught tons of flack at which I just smiled and said we will see. The shocks were a better ride than the Rincon (my wife even said so from riding on back). It has TONS more power than the Rincon and a MUCH higher speed. I got mine to around 50MPH with around half throttle (the Rincon maxed out at 52!). Then I put it in low range as we decended the very steep and rocky mtn. I was having to give it gas as the rubicon (also in low) was decenting faster than me! We then hit the mud and to my surprise with stock tires on it I was able to navigate the mud better than the Rincon, rubicon, and forman400.

All said and done I will NEVER go honda again just because it’s a honda! I will do as I did this time and listen to everyone weight the features and what I want to use it for and then get something (not paying attention to brands). In closing I will say that honda has a LOT of work to do in order to catch up to the Yamaha grizzly. On a scale from 1-5 and 5 being the best I give the grizzly a 6!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Sorry to hear your Rincon didn't work out for you. You'll be happy with the Grizzly, the 5 valve de-tuned Raptor motor is a great powerplant. Be sure to follow all maintenance procedures rigorously, otherwise Yamaha's tend to get finicky, especially the belt. I'm surprised your Rincon only did 52, mine did 62 when it was bone stock. I'll check it with my GPS this weekend with the new pipe and powerup kit and 26" Mudlites. I expect more speed. I did some seriously technical rock climbing and deep mud last weekend and found I didn't need low range for either, the Rincon 1st gear was low enough. One time during the rock climbing it would have been nice to have front lockers, as I was hi-centered on rocks and kept rocking back and for to get the front tires to transfer some power. There is a lock-up kit for the Rincon, but I prefer the lighter steering of a limited slip front end.

After you get a few more hours on the Grizzly, let us know how you like it.

·
Registered
807 Posts
For every story about this or that quad being better for this or that reason..... there's another rant about how it isn't. Most are due to specific riding scenerios or conditions. Some are due to good or bad luck with a specific machine. But keep in mind, with all the choices and differences, no one machine will satisfy everyone's needs or uses. Hey, Everyone just ride what you like and stay safe.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Damn, double posted again. Must be losing my mind.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Hey Stay and tell us over time how you like the Grizzly. After all, you did have a Rincon and the comparasions could be helpful. Just try to be constructive. I hope you enjoy your new Quad.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Definitly, I will be as constructive as I can. In fact, my rincon is now my fathers and we ride together all the time. We are planning on going to Coal Creek october 22-24. I will be able to do side by side comparisons...

Here are some photos of the new grizzly in my front yard.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
And the rear, sorry for mutlitple posts. I cant figure out how to do more than one photo per post??

·
Registered
151 Posts
I like it but it sure is ugly.....

·
Premium Member
1,963 Posts
Hey Jason,

I couldn't help but wonder if you told your dad what a "piece of crap" your Rincon was before you sold it to him???

If my Rincon was THAT bad I wouldn't unload it on anyone I knew.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
hondaman, ya know what...I have caught nothing but grief on this forum and Its not just me. Its anyone that has ANYTHING bad to say about the rincon. Yall even attack the freaking owner/moderator of this forum when he tells of his problems/headaches with his rincon.

Not that I should have to explain my "unloading" of my rincon but I will! My father wanted it because it is perfect for his riding style! He rides on trails at slow speeds and enjoys being able to accelerate quickly. He doesn't care about technical rought stuff or how much it can pull or how slowly he can crawl down nasty stuff...I on the other hand DO and this is why I got the Grizzly.

As for all of you JERKS that are so freaking brand loyal, you should stop and open up your eyes and see what else is out there. People get different ATV's for different terrains and different purposes...that is why there is such a variaty!!! Just because I dont like the rincon for my riding location/style doesnt mean that I am a moron or a rincon basher...ALL it means is I tried it didnt like it and decided to get something that suits what I want to do!!

SOOO...for all you pissants that dont like me, or what i have to say you can go WANK off!!!!!

I am with RobG in saying that for my riding style the Grizzly kicks the Rincons BUTT!!!! especially in speed!!!!

·
Premium Member
1,963 Posts
Damn don't get so touchy. One day you said it was a piece of crap and another day you said you sold it to your father. I just thought I would inquire. Sheeesh!

·
Registered
15 Posts
No wonder if yours only did 52mph.My buddies got a grizz, 2004 camo, sweet machine but no faster than mine, 67mph bumping the limiter.You will like the grizz, we switch back and forth all the time, but comparing the speed to yours isnt really fair.Yours evidentally had a big problem with power like that, but i dont blame you for trading, i wouldnt of put up with that either.He has had no problems with his belt, course yamy has the best belt drive in the business.We have put alot of hard miles on our wheelers and neither one of us has had anything go wrong except both of his inside rear boots split in half, but warranty covered it no prob.Enjoy your grizz and feel free to post on the rincon site whenever you want, besides you still have one in the family.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I am brand loyal to a degree, but not close-minded. I like a lot of different models and brands but I own three Hondas. I just saw a preview of the '05 models on the HRCA website and I like the direction that Honda is going. I don't need all those bells and whistles that some of the other brands are offering, but then that's MY riding style. I have ridden with a few other Grizzly owners and found that the Rincon and Grizzly are pretty well evenly matched in most situations but the Rincon does have a few disadvantages. I will say that one of the reasons that I frequent this forum is so that I can get away from all the Rincon bashers/haters on another major forum. Until now, it has been nice to post on a RINCON ONLY forum. So I guess that makes me one of those "jerks" and/or "pissants" that Jason spoke of. So be it.

·
Registered
151 Posts
This is so funny....... What do you expect to happen when someone bashes a rincon...In a rincon only section..... DUH!!!!!!

Almost everyone here owns one and is not here to listen to bad stuff about thier quad..... Especially when there seems to be such a wide range of performance stats between owners.....

This stuff happens everywhere... a chevy guy buys a ford and rubs it in to all the chevy guys on a forum and then the retaliation starts.... Don't take it wrong Jason... The way YOU started this has cause the "pissants" and name callers out....

Relax... give comparasons.... and I am sure that the rincon has something better than the grizzly...... I have rode them both quite a bit..... So keep your mind open... and lets have fun.....

Brian

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I am sorry if I offended anyone or sounded like I was bashing the rincon. Actually I like the rincon when I was riding on fireroads or blazing down a trail at 40+MPH... so yes, the rincon is a great bike for what it is desigend to do. I simply didn't like doing what it was specifically designed to do. YES, it CAN still do the things I like to do (rock climb, huge hills) but it requires more work than the grizzly does (lack of low range). If I was to scream across the desert or blair down a fireroad I would probably choose the Rincon, however, That is not what I am doing. If I had felt that it was a poorly made or bad bike I would not have sold it to my father!

I am not here to bash or say bad things, I applogize for the "bad things" that I had said before but i was angry because the rincon didn't perform in the areas that I wanted, and it had a very low top speed (52) maybe this is due to some flaw in with the seals or rings that was mentioned here, but I didn't care that much about the top end...and that is WHY i decided to get a grizzly..for its low range, locking 4x4.

so, if we have made up and are all friends...I will try to give a side/side comparison for the life of the two vehicles...

:)

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
For those that are bashing me and saying that no-one asked me to stay and give comparisons...READ THIS POST YOU FREAKING [email protected]$

·
Registered
151 Posts
Jason,
You are one weird ass dude????????

·
Registered
241 Posts
Now that's funny!

·
Registered
75 Posts
An old friend of mine has a blue 2003 Grizzly and another has a 2002 650 Prairie and we enjoy trading off with each other all the time. The one thing we do find as we get used to riding each others Quads is that we loose that comfortable feeling one gets buy only riding the one bike. Top speed the Rincon and the Grizzly were close with the Prairie holding a slight advantage, however we all agree that for the handling especially heading into some aggressive turns the Rincon can maintain a faster speed and still feel more manuverable under our butts.Depending on the type of trails we ride usually the rider sitting on the Rincon at the end of the line is waiting for the other 2 bikes.

P.S. -- Just a side note for any other Prairie owners out there ....we have experienced on several occasions how difficult it is to keep this quad on the trails,it seems to have more pep to it then the bike or most riders can handle.Just yesterday and this is the fourth time we have come accross this was another prairie way off in the woods with the rider fortunately not injured having his quad towed out with the front end totalled and him scratching his head wondering how he lost control of it so easily.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts