Honda Rincon Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi, i have been having a real hell of a time going down a dirt road and not darting all over, so much it is a safety problem. it darts and feels like i have it fully loaded and higher speeds, its very hard to steer, and the left front tire shows high wear on the inside. it has almost 400 miles and never been off the trail or dirt road. of course the dealer said it normal, right, he didnt even get on it. it acts and sound like too much toe out right? but listen to this, (when using a straight edge across the rear rim to the front rim and measuring the gap at the front rim)

(left side of rinny) rear of front rim= 2 1/4
front of front rim= 2 3/8

(right side of rinny) rear of front rim= 2 5/8
front of front rim= 2 5/8

the pull is explained by the left front having more toe out that the right. acording to spec it is not toed out enuff, but acts to me as if it has too much toe out. am i right? what should i do, toe out the right front to match the left, or toe in the left to staight and try that? help please.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I would make them equal on both sides but set to the book specs. Someone on this site had them set for no toe out and the bike was all over.

John

·
Registered
576 Posts
I would set it to exactly what the book calls for, and then if it is still all over the road, take it to the dealer and tell him that is certainly not normal. These things handle great, THAT is normal.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
is the 7/16-9/16 spec an overall toe out or per side of toe out?

·
Premium Member
205 Posts
That is an overall toe out, I have adjusted mine to less, but as the others here put it back to factory specs.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Start by measuring each tie rod from nut to nut. They need to be the same and then work on the toe out. No matter where you end up they should be the same side to side. I am a little less than factory and find it to be less darty, but each bike and tire setup will be different.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i never thought of the tie rods needing to be the same, sounds so ovious now, thanks. i will check that tomorrow, i think i have the toe at 7/16 out total now. havent had a change today to get it out on a dirt road and test it, but it feels better down the driveway. any more ideas would be graet too. thanks again guys.

·
Premium Member
1,550 Posts
I've stopped worrying about the actual measurement and just concentrate on making small adjustments until it steers straight and doesn't dart.

I suggest using parkgt's idea and then if it's not right, make small adjustments until it's the way you like it.

If the bike feels darty, then there's too much toe out. If the steering feels slow, then there's too much too in. That should help you figure out what's what.

You may spend an hour or more making these changes and going for short rides, but it's time well spent. I'm gonna have to do this again to mine soon when I get around to replacing the bent tie rod and damaged tie rod end that I messed up a few weeks ago.

Rob

·
Registered
226 Posts
Hello kd7irm!
Don't use the method with a strait edge from the front tire to the rear,because the rear of the Rincon is wider than the front it will make and adjustment with to much toe in and will make it to fast on the steering.Use the measurement from the front center of your tire to rear center of your tire both at the same hight.It is suppose to be a little bit open for a safer ride and better functionning of your front differential limited slip.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts