Honda Rincon Forum banner

New Member with problems

2K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  Lawrence Krausz 
#1 ·
I just purchased my first rincon. 2005 model with 2400 miles and has been sitting for about 5 years. Im having some tps/shifting issues. It will shift through all the gears 1st to 2nd is smooth if its at low rpms anything over 1/4 throttle and you have to let off to shift to 2nd and 3rd and final shift is pretty harsh. Ive cleaned carb changed the oil and filter air filter etc. I've tried setting the resistance on the tps and the re-learn process for the ecm per the manual. It doesn't matter where i set the tps it shifts the same. It also seems like its low on power and wont go over 35 38 mph. I dont know where to go from here with it and am in need of some pointers. I've looked for threads on the subject and i have yet to find one that has any similarities with my issues. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

#3 ·
Oil is jaso
Manual is for a 2003 model ive read it was good for 2003 to 2005 models.
2003 manual shows the resistance should be .490 to .510 and i did see some differnt number that somebody had posted .580 to .620 ive tried both no differences in shifting.
I should have have put the rough shifting is in auto. Esp will go through all three gears still alittle harsh shifting to third. Still no power in esp as well.

#4 ·
Does it rev all the way when you are at wot? Cam will keep you from running well over 1/4 - 1/2 throttle. But the harsh shift is a first for me, unless it has a gear reduction

#5 ·
I dont think it does. All my past hondas in neutral revved fairly quick to limiter. This one revs kinda slow to a certain point and stops. I've read several posts talking about the cam being worn. I haven't checked cam, valves clearance timing etc. When i first bought it it wouldnt shift at all and only go 9mph WOT. Now it shifts second gear is like butter and third is harsh. When it goes to third i think you can hear the shift solenoid on the front activate. It could be something else bt it has that noise when it finally shifts and you have to let off to about 1/4 throttle to get it to shift. As for the gear reduction it was bought new in 2005 by an older couple and has never had anything but oil changes since it still has the factory tires on it. As for testing the tps the manual i have has different color wires to test then i have. I dont remember the colors right off but the manual tell you to test the top and middle wire. I dont get any kind of reading off those i have been testing the middle and the bottm wire. This is all with the pigtail plugged into the tps sensor.

#6 ·
I have a 2003 that won't go over 30 MPH. Have gone all the way checking and cleaning as much as i could. Replaced the TPS for only 17$. Recalibrated according to the manual. With the air box cover off and it jacked up. it reves fine. put the air cover on and back to 2500 RPM before it holds back and starts back firing. Thats the same speed as 30 MPH. With the cover off I have exhaust coming out of the intake of the carb. You need to test the ohms on both outside wires at the TPS. I think the shifting will go away with frequent oil changes.

#8 ·
I wouldnt think timing chain because it starts like new but not ruling it out. I will check that and valves. To be honest i havent messed with it since april. My buddy has been riding his kids around on it for weeks. Now in auto its a hard shift into second and thirds is smooth as silk. I took it on a 2 hour ride the other night no troubles in esp just slow and underpowered. It will go about 40 to 45 down a slight hill bt when u let off it back fires about once or twice. I did notice that theres a good bit of heat coming from the exhaust on the driver side by where you legs rests. I was thinking it could be running a tad lean? Might try another tps sensor and see what it does check valves and timing. Thanks for all the help guys.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.