Honda Rincon Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi, i have a new 03 rinny(had it about a week), i live, play, and work at about 7000 feet and the dealer (also at about 7000 feet) did not put the high elevation jet in it, his idea is to ride at a lower elevation, i think the lowest elevation in southeast utah is about 4000 feet. if i add a k&n filter and pipe tip mod, do you think i would still have to rejet? ive done the carb adjustment and that made a big diff. (tha lowest i would go on it would be about 6000 feet and up to about 11500 feet)

·
Registered
143 Posts
I live in Georgia, but I did call Jorgenson Honda in Richfield, UT and they recommended the 136 jet for their area (5000 tp 11,500). I plan on being out there in a couple of months.

John

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hi john, what size is stock? where are you planning on being in utah, the centeral and southeast are the best places to ride but i guess i am a little bias cuz i live here. san juan county is the most atv freindly becuz of the support from the county sheriff in keeping lands open. have a great time, thanks

·
Registered
143 Posts
The stock size is about 150. I do not know if the Honda 150 correlates to the same size in a Dynajet kit, but I run a 144 here in Georgia, but I am coming out for the Jamboree in September. I will be changing jets before I come out. I am expecting to be in Richfield on Saturday, Sept. 11. I have not been out there before, except passing through, and thought this would be the safest way to see some scenery. I might stop at Moab on the way out.

John

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
do you know if the dealer should change to the high elevation jet if they sell them at 7000 feet or do i have to pay for it on a new atv, the told me to ride at lower elevations, so i guess i should move to the coast, lol.

·
Registered
143 Posts
It would be easier to just buy a new house on the coast than change the jet. LOL......Actually, they would probably charge you unless you take it to them ans say that it is not running properly. They would have to come to the realization that the jet was the issue. I don't know why they don't think about this before they sell them. If you do it yourself, it is a rather easy job to complete. Takes about an hour (usually less), but just plan on the hour.

John

·
Registered
105 Posts
kd7irm,

I do most of my riding near Richfield UT (FishLake National Forest, Monroe Mountain). The elavations range from 5500 to 11500. I bought my Rincon at Jorgenson Honda in richfield and they changed the honda stock jet to a honda 145 jet. The dealer should be rejetting their bikes for the elevation theyare in. Where did you get your Rincon?

I did have some issues with my Rincon sputtering at the higher elevations. I took it bak to them telling them it is not running right. They adjusted the valves and the sputtering stopped. I still wanted more power out of my rinon so I bought a dynojet kit. This made a world of difference I now have a lot more low end power.

If you decide to get a dyno jet kit I would suggest running a 140 or 138 main jet. I put a 136 jet in this weekend and went along the piute trail. It did OK but I couldn't hit above 50 mph. I changed it back to the 140 and my top speed was back to 59 mph.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
roc,
i got it at hondaland in monticello, ut. i adjusted the carb and the bottom end fells right and i can get up to 62 at 7000 feet, but the mid range and take off under load or full thottle is sputtering and i am useing a lot of fuel, about 70 miles per tank. if i remove the little black cover on the air intake under the tank it run pretty good with a little sputter on take off at full thottle, but if i remove the air filter lid then it really sputters on take off and at top speed, so im a little confused, i have not had the valves checked yet and im at 215 miles, could that be it?

p.s. it will start to do a wheelie on full thottle take off, but as the wheels come up it sputters and goes back down?

·
Registered
105 Posts
kd7irm,

It sounds like it could be a little of both. The main jet to me seems to be to big for the elevations you are running at. My bike would only sputter at higher elevations when I was climbing hills or putting any type of load on the engine with a 145 main jet.

My cousin work at the dealer ship in Richfield and he said they change all the jets on the rincons to the 145 main jet. However he also said, "If you want it to run great you need to get the jet kit, the Rincon will run great stock at sea level but at higher elevations Honda never has figured out what jets to put into them".

I could never come close to pulling a wheelie when it was new even after I had the valves adjusted. Once I put in the dynojet kit I could rides wheelies everywhere. The main difference between the stock jet ket and the dyno jet kit is the spring. It is a lot smaller and softer in the dyno jet kit. You will get a better response on the low end. It also comes with a least 8 different jet sizes so you can change it if you are going to be riding in the extreme elevations. If you plan on geting an aftermatket exhaust you might be just right with the 150 main jet. You might even need to go a little bit larger 152, 154.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
hey roc,

i took it to the dealer, after talking on the phone they said they would do the valves for about $40. when i got there i talked to them and they said they would rejet it for a extra $25. well after a few hours he was done and gave the work order to the manager, he came out of the office with a total of over a $195.00, wow. all they did was the valve adjust(they where out a bit) and rejeted with a 145(sucks) and on the bill it has a charge for 2.5 gal of gas for $5.67, they said they needed it full to test it, lol. sounds like b.s. any way he told me that he was going to drop about $65 cuz i got it there, and after the credit i had there, i still had to write a chech for $111.oo, im not too happy. well it stoped the spudering and has more mid and top power but i lost power at the bottom end. it had 237 miles and about 25 hrs. they turned the pilot screw down to 2 turns could that be the low end power prob? thanks

·
Registered
314 Posts
That is why you should get a service manual a do that stuff yourself. You can get a pack of different jets for under $25.00, manual for under $50.00.

·
Registered
105 Posts
kd7irm,

Sorry to hear about the price. How can they charge you more than what they told you they would? Some thing is messed up with that.

Yes you are correct. The pilot screw will effect the low end. I have to play with mine each time I change elevations drasticly. At 5000ft I run mine at 2 2/3 out. Then anything over 8000ft I turn it in 2/3 leaving it at only two turns out. Remember I have the DynoJet kit with the softer spring which increases your low end like you wouldn't beleive. If your jetting seems to be good all you would need to do is replace the spring in the top of your carb. You will see a great increase in the low end power.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts