Honda Rincon Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just thought I would comment on the stall issue I had in the past. I would set the Idle at what I thought sounded about 1400 RPM. I had a tiny tach but the darn thing was all over the place with the rpm readings so I trashed it. Any way I set the idle mixture screw about 2-1/2 turns out. Good trottle response but the thing kept stalling. Specifically when I went from hard running directly into the water. When the bike cooled down from the water temp the idle went down and the thing would stall. Well the manual says to set about 2-3/8 turns out on the mixture. Set 1400 +-100 rpm. Turn screw in untill idle drops 100 rpm then back it out one full turn. I have the K&N and DJ kit. No more stalling. Hit the north river 90 for nothin after a hard ride and she just purred like a kitten. No more stalling from steam. All I got to say is that this is one great frickin machine. Also, I heard a pro-circuit t4 pipe on another machine today. They are not available for the rincon as of yet but when they are, I'll have one. They sound sweet and the build quality looks great.

·
Registered
121 Posts
DEC you are on the right track, but you have your order of operations wrong.

1. Turn the pilot screw clockwise until it seats lightly, then back it out the specification given. This is an initial setting prior to the final pilot screw adjustment.

INITIAL OPENING 2-3/8 TURNS OUT.

2. Warm up the engine to operating temperature. Stop and go driving for 10 minutes is sufficient.

3. Stop the engine and connect a tachometer according to the tachometer manufacture's instructions.

4. Start the engine and adjust the idle speed with the throttle stop screw knob.

IDLE SPEED 1,400 + - 100rpm

5. Turn the pilot screw in or out slowly to obtain the highest engine speed.

6. Lightly open the throttle 2-3 times, then adjust the idle speed with the throttle stop screw knob.

7. Turn the pilot screw in gradually until the engine speed drops by 100 rpm.

8. Turn the pilot screw out to the final opening.

FINAL OPENING : 1 TURNS OUT FROM THE POSITION OBTAINED IN STEP #7

9. Readjust the idle speed with the throttle stop screw.

This is exactly what it says in the service manual word for word.
Hope that this helps folks.

TrailBoss

·
Premium Member
1,550 Posts
Trailboss:

I followed your instructions to the letter... it seemed to work; I'll know more later after I go riding.

My main concern is that I did it in Neutral, not in Drive. Was that correct?

Also, it says to turn the screw in OR out until the idle speed increases as far as it'll go. In my case, I went IN.

Then it says to turn the screw IN until the speed drops 100 RPM.

As near as I can tell, my screw setting is somewhere between 2 turns and the 2-3/8 turns that we started with.

Rob

·
Registered
121 Posts
Rob, I would suspect that the adjustment would be done in neutral.
The procedure is kind of lacking info, but this is what the manual says to do.
By what you have told me, I would say that you have done it correctly.

If the bike were in drive, it would probably launch if you turned the idle up.

TrailBoss

·
Premium Member
1,550 Posts
Finally got to ride it for a while (16 miles or so) since making the adjustment. BIG improvement! No more stalling and smoother shifting. Couldn't detect a power difference if there was one.

Definitely worth the effort.

Rob

1 - 7 of 7 Posts