Honda Rincon Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've noticed spring crunching noises when I get on or off my 06 Rincon. Can I clean, rebuild or lubricate my shocks?

·
Super Moderator
6,393 Posts
Yes. You can remove them and clean both ends, lubricate and reassemble (check for wear as they do), and if you have them off, it's easy to reassemble with new parts. While in there you can also do your sway bar bushings as well. Actually anything that pivots should see some service from time to time. Your manual would have the maintenance schedule (hours/miles) so you can keep on top of the wearable parts.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes. You can remove them and clean both ends, lubricate and reassemble (check for wear as they do), and if you have them off, it's easy to reassemble with new parts. While in there you can also do your sway bar bushings as well. Actually anything that pivots should see some service from time to time. Your manual would have the maintenance schedule (hours/miles) so you can keep on top of the wearable parts.
Thanks for the information.....I try to keep up with good preventative maintenance ,but never tackled the shocks yet. I lubed my A arm bushings about a year ago hoping that was the noises I was hearing.

thanks again

·
Premium Member
8,026 Posts
I have a tutorial somewhere here on how to lube the bushings and collars on the shocks.

·
Premium Member
8,026 Posts
Why not go one step further and find/post your thread?

Because I know how to do it from memory.;)

EDIT - I went and found it. See updated thread......"Warning........."

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Thanks for the shock info.

I might try adding some 1/2" to 1" spacers on each shock , as I clean and lube the suspension at all 4 wheels in the near future. I've seen videos of people using PVC spacers, but I'd like to find or make some aluminum spacers. Would a 1" spacer cause any CV joint excessive wear or any other issues? Would that lift dimension give me any actual lift on the bike? These bikes do sit low and I have the stock tires.
What spacer dimensions would I have to get , to make sure the shock didn't move around?

I also have some bad wandering or swaying when I try to drive fast (40-50 mph) with my Maxxis bighorns. I've always had that issue , but when driving slow it's like your your floating on water. They are a comfortable slow riding tire ,but riding fast is very unstable. I've tried 3lbs inflation and then 6 lbs with no noticeable improvement. My suspension and A-arm condition is good ,so what could be causing that?

thanks for any info.

Kevin

·
Super Moderator
6,393 Posts
Thanks for the shock info.

I might try adding some 1/2" to 1" spacers on each shock , as I clean and lube the suspension at all 4 wheels in the near future. I've seen videos of people using PVC spacers, but I'd like to find or make some aluminum spacers. Would a 1" spacer cause any CV joint excessive wear or any other issues? Would that lift dimension give me any actual lift on the bike? These bikes do sit low and I have the stock tires.
What spacer dimensions would I have to get , to make sure the shock didn't move around?

I also have some bad wandering or swaying when I try to drive fast (40-50 mph) with my Maxxis bighorns. I've always had that issue , but when driving slow it's like your your floating on water. They are a comfortable slow riding tire ,but riding fast is very unstable. I've tried 3lbs inflation and then 6 lbs with no noticeable improvement. My suspension and A-arm condition is good ,so what could be causing that?

thanks for any info.

Kevin
In a word, "alignment". There are a few ways you can check it, basically measuring the center front inside tire to the other side, and doing the same in the rear, while it's sitting on the floor. (I made a small plate out of plywood, 12" x 12", and bolt it on instead of the wheel) makes adjusting and measuring easy. And once it's set it wont change unless you hit something.
Here is a link to a discussion on "how much" toe out you need. Trail Toad, was an awesome member, much good content. Anyway if your not into reading, the 1/8th toe out seems to work the best, and using a trailer with straight side rails can also be a simple tool to measure the outside of each front tire to the rail. https://www.rinconriders.com/22-maintenance/11448-front-end-toe-out-spec.html

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the info.

Interesting idea about making plywood plates to bolt on when checking alignment.

What air pressure seems to be the best for mid to fast trail riding with bighorns in your opinion?

Kevin

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I had some aluminum spacers made from a co worker at work today. I decided to go with only 1/2" spacer as I only want a little more preload and a little more stiffer spring. I only installed the two front ones today and the rebound , as I push down on the front end, is noticeable. I think it's going to be a nice subtle change.
Using ratchet straps as I did will get the job done, but I should have bought or made some spring compressors.
I also lubricated and cleaned the shocks. No more squeaks.....

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts