Honda Rincon Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does the octane level make a difference or not ? 87 89 93 ??

·
Registered
280 Posts
all honda ute quads are designed for 87. Putting any higher without some
compression or timing mods is just a waste of money. The only reason for higher
octane gas is too prevent pre-ignition in high compression engines.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I disagree. My bike runs better on 91 or 93 than it does on 87. I don't know why. But, since I put a pipe and a jet kit on it, it runs funny on 87. On 87 it doesn't idle smooth.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Yellow, I'm definately sure. I've always run 91 or 93 in my bike since day one until 2 weeks ago. A friend told me that I was foolish for spending the extra money. So I filled up with 87 that day and the bike ran terrible. When I got home, I drained out the remaining fuel and refilled it with 91 and the bike runs good again.

It originally seem as though I might have gotten some bad fuel, but I used the fuel that I drained out of my rincon in my wife's rancher and my nephew's grizzly 125 and they both ran fine.

I know that the octane shouldn't matter but, it does in my bike and I don't know why.

·
Registered
322 Posts
I dunno, maybe. I have tried 91 in mine and really noticed no difference. Only thing I know is it's a little higher quality fuel than the reg. 87, so that aspect couldn't hurt to use it.

·
Registered
280 Posts
The Rinnys compression ratio is only 9.2:1, so high octane gas will make no difference in how it runs. Perhaps the brand of fuel is what made the difference.
I have noticed my Rinny runs stronger on gas that does not contain oxygenators.
Around here, they are hard to find.

·
Registered
409 Posts
For the extra $1.00/fill up, I think I will stay with the 93 octane.

·
Registered
151 Posts
This is a popular topic on performance boat motors also..... And it has been proven, on the dyno, that motors designed for 87 octane get no gain, and in fact, loose HP on higher octane fuel.... 93 octane burns slower than 87..... so in these engines you will get more unburned gas out the exhaust....

I can tell the difference in the octane gas I burn in my boat.... The higher octane, the more soot on the transom.....Its just more noticable on the boat....

The benifit to 89 and 93 is that htey are more pure, and refined more.... for long term storage, it would be best to have a tank full of the good stuff... Your tank will be cleaner.....

On a 20 HP motor.... Im sure the gain or loss would be un-noticable..... and at an idle-----there should not be any difference....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts