Honda Rincon Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have only put 21 miles on the new Rincon and it seems to be using some oil; around a 1/4 of a quart. Have others noticed it and how long will it take to break in and stop using so much?
Thanks,
Greg

·
Registered
30 Posts
parkgt,

I've got 60 miles on '04 Rincon and no oil comsumption yet.

·
Premium Member
1,550 Posts
I never paid much attention to oil consumption on mine. I change the oil every 30 hours, and since it uses about 3.2 quarts per change, 1/4 quart isn't a huge deal. BUT, since you say only 21 miles so far, I'd top it off now and then keep an eye on it, like every hundred or so.

Rob

·
Registered
20 Posts
My Rincon is my first Honda ATV, but I have owned about 30 or so Honda motorcycles and NOT ONE of them ever used oil. Are you REALLY sure you are checking it correctly???

·
Registered
30 Posts
Colorider- wow, 30 Honda motorcycles! Do they have your picture on the wall in corporate HQ? Seriously, where do you ride out here mostly? I'm not too far off in Chaffee County.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Rocky4x4,
I figured you to be in El Paso county!!! You must live out on 115 somewhere. I lived in the Springs for about 15 years and another 12 in Florisant before returning to Loveland (my home town). I used to ride dirt bikes quite a bit up around the Cedar Mountain road and Trail Creek - over to the South Platte. Now I ride sport-touring mostly.

Besides all the Honda's, I've had more than my share of Yamaha's, a couple Suzuki's and a few Beemers. Oh yes, one Triumph!

As for where I ride the Rincon - I have only had it a few weeks but plan to ride some off of 36 between Estes and Lyons and also up around Snowy Range (Wyoming).

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the replies. It may be that checking it is a little tricky. What worries me is that both Rincons were overfilled by the dealer. Didn't discover it until each had about 5 miles on them. The oil was above the flattened portion of the dipsticks! I drained them down into the area between the add and full. This was done cold, maybe checking them warm has confused my abliity to accurately determine if they have infact used any.

They do not smoke. But I have always heard that running an engine with too much oil is bad. Hope no damage was done.

I know not to trust dealers and should have checked them at delivery. But the excitement of getting the new quads was distracting.
Greg

·
Premium Member
831 Posts
I too was shocked after a oil level check a while back. It seemed my rincon was making oil. I know I checked it after the first oil change, all was perfect then. Checked it again 100 or so miles later and it was way over full. Got worried to say the least.

After some thinking and a quick glance in the owners manual, it seems that I had always checked my oil level after starting the atv and backing it out of the garage. This is why it always showed a perfect reading.

The one time I did not start the atv first was the only time it showed over full.

Always start your rincon first, let it run a minute, then shut it off and check the oil again. It should be ok unless you really have some other problem.

Good luck..

·
Registered
30 Posts
Colorider- recently moved; that's why it threw you. I'm looking for warmer places to ride during the winter. We have some nearby areas; but, I'm thinking of trying Peach Valley & some other areas around Delta. In the Spring I'll do the Hi country stuff.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes, checking per the manual seems to solve my problem. Cold it appears way too full: after warm up and checking again everything is in the normal range.

Sometimes you have to trust the manual and not go by how you checked all your other Hondas over the past 25 years.

Thanks,
Greg

1 - 11 of 11 Posts