Honda Rincon Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday afternoon I changed the oil and filter. It has 750 miles and this is the 3rd oil change. When I began to reinstall the new filter I was not sure about where the spring went so I checked the manual. It also shows a flat washer that goes on before the spring, but I don't have a washer. I either lost it when I changed it before or it didn't have one. Not sure where it would go if I had one. Has anyone else come up short of one. Maybe I need to pick one up? I also changed over to Rotella T synthetic. I had let the bike set for a couple of days without starting it and the dip stick was showing over full from the oil draining out of the torque converter. I changed it without starting it and lettting it warm up. It drained enough out that it took nearly 4 quarts to refill. This way, it didn't leave as much of the old oil in it. Should be close to being all synthetic. Haven't driven it yet but am curious if it does shift better as some have indicated.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Duramax, I no exactly what you are talking about.
What happens is that the washer sticks to the oil filter, on the rubber o-ring.
I was fortunate enough to notice it. I didn't notice till the next day ,when
I was going through my service manual and said what the heck,I don't remember
that washer. I went to my garage reached in the garbage can ,turned over the
filter and there it was, stuck to the o-ring by the oil tension.
Instead of draining all the oil I just rolled the bike on it's side and pulled the filter out,put the washer in, and it was done.I lost a little bit of oil 100ml to 200ml but that was it. Yes it was some what messy but worth the
peice of mind.

Hope that this helps TrailBoss

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not sure of it's purpose but I will pick one up. I rode for 3 hours today without anything noticeable goiong on. My guess it is to keep the spring from eating up the rubber washer on the filter. Will take a look at it and see if it has been damaged. Don't want a bunch of rubber particles floating around. Thanks

1 - 3 of 3 Posts