Honda Rincon Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I always thought Fram were the best oil filters on the market.
NOT!
Read this: http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oilfilterstudy.html

·
Registered
143 Posts
WoodsRuner,
I read that article quite some time ago and the only problem I have with it is that it only deals with the spin-on type filter. The one on the Rincon isn't, so the data int he article really doesn't apply. I ams sure that, while FRAM filters may be cheaply built, they wouldn't be around long if they actually harmed engines. They would have lawsuits galore. Incidently, I have only used the Honda filters, but I did recently purchase a FRAM that I will compare to the next Honda filter I buy.

John

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The paper endplates are glued sawdust. How could they NOT hurt an engine.
And there is evidence of same, but it shows up after many many miles, and no one appears to be equating it to the oil filters. I have a truck that has
had nothing but Fram in it since new, and the valve train is shot. Makes me
suspicious.

Lots of motorcycles use spin-on filters, and bike riders tend to be quad riders,
so it applies here. None of my quads use spin-on, but that is irrelavant.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Are you referring to the ones in the article or the Rincon version? Again, if Fram was that bad, there would be class action lawsuits. If you think the Fram was the cause of your bad valve train, go to them and get it replaced. It would seem to me that more than the valve train would be affected by sawdust. Who manufactures Honda's filters? I have no interest in Fram, but unless someone can difinitively prove that Fram causes all the problems being circulated, then they are irrelevant. I use the Honda filter becasue I couldn't find anything locally. I just happened to find the Fram by accident. We nned to have others note their horror stories about the Fram filter so we can get a better idea of what the actual problems are.

John

·
Registered
409 Posts
I would like to know who makes the K&N oil filter as well as the Honda. I would guess it would be someone like Baldwin or Wix. Anyone have any ideas? There has been a lot of oil filter tests and data kicked around on several diesel sites and Fram seems to come out rated low.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Honda OEM filters are made by Toyo Roki in Japan, as are Kawasaki. I have no idea on the K&N or the other OEMs. From everything I have read and seen in the last few days, Fram is the lowest.

EDIT: No one else except Fram and Fram-made filters use cardboard end plates.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts