Honda Rincon Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey , when you guys changed your oil, the manual calls for approx. 3.1 quarts of oil when the filter was changed.That would be approx 3qrts 3oz.Well I did this and I still had to drain oil back out of it.I would say I used approx.2 3/4 quarts.Just wondering if anyone else has noticed this . Maybe this is whats causing some o- ring problems.Because it states in the manual Do Not Overfill.One thing for sure,check your oil level after changing,mine was way over.And this was with the dipstick setting on top of the threads.I just wonder how accurate the manual really is in this situation?

·
Registered
8 Posts
See page 115 of your manual it states you must run your engine 3 to 5 mintues and let it stand 2 to 3 mintues for the correct reading and I find I have to put more in then is called for ..my 2 cents worth..

·
Premium Member
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I did read the manual,and as i stated the dipstick was setting on top of the threads.It was not tightened down

·
Registered
314 Posts
Yes sitting cold it looks overfilled. Let it warm and sit as stated and check again. When you get the level right warm let it sit overnight; then check it cold and you will have a cold level reference. On mine this seem to be slightly above the flattened out part were it goes back to round. Seems overfilled cold.

·
Registered
75 Posts
bigjohn 1028 ---- you're correct as the same thing happened to me on my first oil change----now I put in 2.9 litres which is approximately 2.75 quarts.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Every time I have changed my oil, I have needed to add about 3 3/4 quarts to fill it back up. And yes, I am checking the level per the owners manual. My friend said his does the same thing.

One note to add, I went to Wal Mart and bought the long black plastic funnel from the auto section. It is probably about 18" long. That was the ticket. No more problems getting the oil back in the crankcase.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Mine takes about 3 3/4 quarts also, but I drain mine without starting it up after it has been sitting for a day or so and the towque converter has drained down.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I agree 3 and 3/4 quarts and I check mine by the book and its where it should be.

Jim

·
Registered
280 Posts
draining a cold engine will not get all the particles out of the crankcase. it needs to be hot and just turned off to get it in suspension so it will drain. better to let the Rini sit with the plug out for a day than to do it cold.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts