Honda Rincon Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I just changed my oil to Castrol syntec 5w50. It meets all standards in the manual. My transmission operates smoother and the engine is quieter after warm-up. I am going to stick with this oil.

·
Registered
59 Posts
If I were to use Castrol I would use this.

Castrol Act-evo V-Twin 4-Stroke
For Superior Protection Everyday!

CASTROL Act-evo V-Twin 4-Stroke is suitable for all makes of North American or Japanese V-Twin 4-Stroke motorcycles with integral or separate transmission running on leaded or unleaded gasoline.

Creates a protective film that is active even when the engine is turned off.
Provides continuous protection during start-up and warm-up.
Exceeds API SG, JASO MA.
Available Grades
SAE 20W-50: a synthetic based oil

it meets the requirements in the Rincon owners manual.

Okie

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It is not energy conserving in the 5w50. It is in other weights though. That 20w50 is to thick before it warms up for a Rincon. Remember, we have an automotive type trans our oil has to be able to flow while cold. Thats why I went to a 5w. I tried 5w30 like Honda has recommended. My dealer told me that the Honda tech told him to recommend that to people who were unhappy with the cold operation of the trans.Since I was unhappy with mine I tried it. The 5w30 worked great for the trans but the valve train was a little noisy after it got hot. I ran the 5w30 for about 75 miles it was thin as water. I decided to try a synthetic that would not break down so fast. The 5w50 castrol syntec can be bought at autozone for $4.97 a quart.I think Honda should have separated the engine oil and the transoil and used some type of fluid for these types of transmissions. Mercon or Dextron do not breakdown like engine oil. For those who do not know, for engine oil the "w" number is the flow caracteristics while cold(ie. 5w). The last number is how the oil lubricates while warm(50). That is in basic terminology not scientific mumbo-jumbo.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts