Honda Rincon Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went out for a ride today with only 75km on my rincon and had my first problem. I let it warm up first before I went out on a ride (10 min - Temp outside was +5) When I got into 3 gear I heard a noise and it was bogging down and losing power. I then stopped and took off again and had no problems going through 1-2 but when I hit third again my speed started to drop. After a few minutes of trying this I put it into "N" and shut it off. About 2 minutes later I started it up and put it into "D" and it cluncked and nothing happened. It would not move, I put it into "R" and still nothing. This went on for 5 minutes and I shut it off. I then started it back up and put into "D" and it engaged, so I drove it straight home. When I played with the gears at home it seemed fine. But the 3 gear losing power is still there. Could someone please tell me what this could be. The dealer is closed today and I gess I'll have to call him tomorrow.

T-Bone

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well, the bike is at the dealer and regarding the machine not moving in D or R he said that the RPM was high and that there is a safty that wont allow it to engage if the rev's are to high. As for the 3 gear losing power it happened to him and he has now called the "Honda Tech Team" to find out what to do next. Will post what the problem is when they get back to us on what to do.

T-Bone

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hello again, I got a call on April 19 from my dealer saying that the "Honda Tech Team" told him to reset the ECU. He said that he would call me the next day when it was ready. Well, that call never came and seeing that I wouldn't have time to ride it during the week I'd wait till today before seeing him. So I went to the dealer today to find out that the "Honda Tech Team" doesn't know whats wrong with it and it was up to the dealer to figure it out. He told me that he was going to start to check the solides at the tranny that allow the oil to pass through channels as it is changing gears. I told him that if Honda wanted to use my bike as a ginney pig to probe that they could have the bike back to do what ever they wanted and I'd take a new 2004 Rincon. At 75 Km no one should have to deal with this. I requested the dealer that I wanted to have a meeting with the Honda sales rep to correct this mess out. This will be the 3rd weekend without it and who knows how much longer.

Unhappy owner

T-Bone

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's 3 weeks later and I got my 04 Rincon back from the dealer. Here is what happened during that time. Last week my dealer said "Honda Tech Support Associate" didn't know what was the problem with my ATV and it would be up to the dealer to find out what was wrong seeing that a "Honda Tech Associate" had done everything that he knew. Well, I have a good friend that works at Honda Canada Inc. and he told me that another "Honda ATV Tech Associate" actually lives behind my house (I'm not kidding) and has dealt alot with the Rincons and that I should talk to him about my problem. So last Sat I went over and told him about my problem and was told that I was most likely a torn O-Ring (14.8X2.4) at the oil pump. SEE WEB LINK (PART # 13) (14.8X2.4) I asked him if we could call my dealer and let him explain the problem. After a 5 min phone call it seemed that things were looking better.The "O-Rings and Cold Starts" is the only problem the Rincon seems to have other than that it's a really great machine he said. Honda has received the same complaints with low km and it seems to be this problem. So, this week my dealer changed the O-Ring. He found a piece of the O-Ring inside one of the oil chambers for 3rd gear thus not allowing oil to pass through causing my problem of not having power in 3rd gear. With the new O-Ring installed the Rincon is running great. If you are having tranny problems regarding no power or slipping I would strongly suggest that you first look at the O-Rings (14.8X2.4) You will also notice this problem if you engage the shifter lever into D or R and it doesn't move. (rev's like it's in N) Hope this help other Rincon owners that run into this problem T-Bone

·
Premium Member
1,550 Posts
I wonder how hard it is to get into this part of the engine or tranny to check? My local dealer probably will not be willing to look at this with something more definitive. I'd be willing to dive in myself if I knew where to look...

Rob

·
Registered
4 Posts
RobG....I'm wondering the same thing. The service manual shows that you have to remove quite alot of stuff including most if not all of the front fenders, unbolt the front differential and slide it forward to remove the driveshaft from the engine, waterpump, oil pipes, front crankcase cover, torque converter, shift solenoid, oil pump of course, and probably alot of other misc. items that I can't remember off the top of my head.

Anyways, I would prefer to do it myself, because I strongly dislike anyone other than myself working on anything I own, especially when I know I can handle it anyways. Plus from previous repair work done by "certified" dealer mechanics being less than satifactory I would prefer to do it myself even though I have some warranty left.

The main reason I'm wanting to check the o-rings is because about a year ago, my 2003 Rincon started slipping when trying to go up any long hills within the first 15-20mins of riding. This was even after it idled for 5-10mins before riding. I've tried swithcing from the GN4 10W-40 to AMSOIL 0W-40, but it didn't help any at all, so I've switched back to the 10W-40 in prepartion for hotter temperatures.

Does anyone have the part # of the new blue colored O-Rings for the oil pump that are much stronger than the originals?

·
Registered
84 Posts
I am pretty sure they are #91356-MA6-005. You need 8 of them, 4 in front of the pump to the case and 4 behind the pump where it seats. I was thinking of doing the same thing but the manual says you have to pull the convertor to get to the pump. Might need the special puller to get that off.

·
Super Moderator
6,755 Posts
Hi

I just received my 03 back from the dealership (Honda Center in Vancouver) Sidewinder4x4 you have the same problem I had/have.
The tech told me I was low on oil (bull) I listened to his explination. He said I had a code (#8) that required a shift solenoid to be removed and cleaned (both sit on top of the forward most part of the engine, just below the headder pipe).
He told me that because of the low oil, my Torque converter was sucking air. The low oil caused it to overheat and the solenoids were gummed up. (more bull) I change the oil every 400-700 KM. Check it before each ride. I delivered it to them with 3.2L of Motul 5100 10W40, a K&N oil filter that had 0 km's .The riding up hill and having it slip is exactly what I had. Also, in ESP, 3rd going down steep grades it would slip in and out of gear constantly. The oil was fresh yet they said it was thin, the oil filter was replaced but they threw my brand new K&N in the garbage saying it is not a good filter!!! WTF! I took it for a ride and it seemed better, but watch this thread tomorrow because I'll be posting the results.
What is warranty about when you have to pay $300.00 for this kind of work? I am quickly loosing my faith in these people.

Oilcan

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hey Guy
I just wanted to let you know that Honda pays 3 1/2 hrs to fix the o-ring problem(Warranty). I could ask my dealer what the easiest way to go about doing this repair seeing that he just did mine. By the way check out the pic's on my web site from last Sundays ride with a goup of friends.

T-Bone

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Go to my Profile to see the link to the website

T-Bone

·
Registered
409 Posts
T-Bone- Looks like everyone had a great time.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Damn T-bone...Saw your photos, looks like you need a boat. Did anyone troll behind the bikes! You might have had some luck...LOL You must have had a great time. Here in Nevada it is so dry I usually blow mine off with a air hose when I get home.

Paul..

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hey Pablo...ya we sure got wet that day but the Rincon only stalled once comming out of one hole. It had rained for 3 days straight and still raining during the ride. The snow had just finished melting about a week before witch add to the amount of water in the trails. Were hoping next week to go back and see more mud rather than water. I'll keep the pictures comming for each big ride and i'm going to have someone else take more pic's of me and the Rincon.

Talk to ya soon
T-Bone

1 - 15 of 15 Posts