Honda Rincon Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks in advance. I’ve read countless threads and still can not figure out the problem. It’s a 2005 Rincon 650 (black). I’ve owned it for 4yrs now. It started to over heat so I removed radiator and flushed as well as cleaning between RAD and Oil cooler (broke seized bolt) and installed a new oil cooler. Still over heating so I changed the radiator cap and still over heating. I just replaced the thermostat and it rode longer before it started over heating again. Previous owner wired the fan directly to ignition and it is coming on. Only thing left that I can think of is the water pump. It does not leak neither coolant nor oil. I’m stumped😖

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The red light comes on after a few minutes of riding and you can smell the coolant as soon as it starts to get hot. Have not tried taking the radiator cap off when hot (just cause I don’t want to wear hot coolant🤪)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No, it had not been changed. When I installed new oil cooler I removed radiator and flushed with clean water and there was no clogs. At that time I put new coolant and still having the issue. All I can think of that is left to replace is the water pump.

·
Premium Member
448 Posts
Well it would be easy to pull the water pump to check it. The way it is designed, I couldn’t imagine it would be damaged bad enough to stop the impeller from spinning, without you knowing about it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I guess the only choice is to pull it. Read somewhere it’s essier if you could lift the front end high enough so you don’t lose oil??? Maybe I should at least order gasket or o-ring or whatever I need in case it’s not that?

·
Registered
775 Posts
Stupid question but I have to ask, is the fan coming on and running?

·
Premium Member
448 Posts
I was also wondering if the machine is boiling coolant? I think you can also get an overheat light for oil temperature, and things like a slipping transmission could cause high oil temperature.

Also, what have you got for coolant? Most motorcycle coolant comes premixed 50/50, where many automotive coolants should be mixed 50/50 with distilled water. Ethylene glycol doesn’t carry heat as well as water (but prevents freezing, raises boiling point, and reduces corrosion). Mixing stronger than 50/50 can cause overheating.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I don’t know if someone have the answer for this , when I go slow arround 10 to 15 km after 15 minutes the temperature light comes on if I go arround 25 km and up the light goes of . Aslo keep in mind the temperatur outside is about 27 degrees

·
Registered
775 Posts
Your rad needs to be cleaned out really really well. Remove the black side panel opposite the coolant overflow bottle and spray it out thoroughly. I got sick of overheating after it happened 3-4 times and decided to get a Rubberdowncustoms.com rad relocate kit.

·
Super Moderator
6,427 Posts
You can set it vertical, it will be happy and relatively solid sitting on the back rack and rear wheels. That way you can easily pop off the water pump (no oil loss) .
Can you see the coolant boil or are you looking at the red light on the dash?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts