Honda Rincon Forum banner
1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Group,
Can anyone tell me where to write Honda in order to get their attention? There are some things I really like about the rincon, but Honda really needs to wake up also.

Just read the threads on this forum.
Lets see...re-jetting....poor overall top speed and performance (compared to the other "big bore machines"), stalling, over heating, not to mention the BS stock tires they installed.......and the nessity of having to adjust valves and timing just to maintain some kind of performance level.........sorry group, but that is BullSh_t and I know it.

Listen...I ride with 2 Polaris 700's and they absolutely eat that Rincon in every area, of all around performance (right out of the box). There are 10 of us that ride consistently and not one other person would buy a Rincon. After all, how could I even try to promote one knowing what I know.

I don't understand why, but I will stick with honda and try to make this work, but am not happy with all the add ons just to keep pace with the others...and the others do perform right out of the box. Why can't Honda Rincons?

Some of my problem is this is my first Honda and I just had to have the Rincon. I've had polaris machines for years and thought I would step Up? to Honda?

Bob

·
Premium Member
6,768 Posts
you make a good point... we shouldnt be having to bolt on another $1000.00 worth of mods (Canadian dollars) in order to make that 650 run like it should.

I was also sick and tired of guys with Grizzlys and Kings etc kicking my ass, only to be told by the dealer that the Honda is restricted by polution control this or that ... so if Honda is, why arent the rest ...

Now that I have an assortment of main and pilot jets, and the HMF exhaust and the will to tinker, I can pretty much eat up anything in the bush...this will be my first weekend riding in the snow so we'll see how the mudlites do...

The Polaris machines are just ugly...and although the new suzuki runs like a horny beaster, and gives a pretty good ride... I dont like the local dealer...and I dont like the suzuki waranty...looks like yamaha might be my next purchase next year...

·
Registered
424 Posts
Hold on there Johnnyboy. You have some valid points, but some of your issues with the Rincon are a little shaky.

1) rejetting - the reason you read a lot about rejetting on this forum is because most people have installed Dynojet kits which require some fine tuning. The Rincon does not require any rejetting when left stock.

2) poor overall top speed and performance - the Rincon is definitely the most detuned big bore ATV on the market, which obviously makes it less powerful. However, my stock Rincon is right behind stock Grizzlies as far as acceleration goes, and has a slightly higher top speed. Running the wrong type of oil also has a big effect on top speed.

3) stalling - yes, the Rincon sometimes stalls when letting off the gas very quickly on an incline. But adjusting the idle speed right at 1450 rpm and tweaking the idle mixture screw makes this a very rare occurance.

4) over-heating - most over-heating occurs when the radiator gets caked with mud; not much you can do about that if you like to ride mud. All liquid cooled ATV's are prone to this and if you can't deal with it, buy an air cooled ATV. Other over-heating problems have been very rare and cannot be considered a design flaw.

5) BS stock tires - yup, they have basically no tread, but they are extremely smooth riding radials and are very well suited for trail riding. This is what the Rincon was designed for after all... Honda has always installed crappy stock tires on their ATV's, this is nothing new.

6) valve and timing adjustment - not sure what you mean about "timing" adjustment, there is no such thing on the Rincon. The valve adjustment schedule on the Rincon is the same as all other Honda utility ATV's and has been the same for years. I don't see the problem. The reason for proper valve adjustment is to prevent valve burning (too tight) and excessive noise (too loose). Obviously valves that are way out of spec will affect performance, but that's the case on any other ATV. I mean, it's not like you need to adjust the valves after every ride.

7) Polaris 700 - Yeah they have a higher top speed and somewhat better acceleration, but my stock Rincon easily takes a 700 out of the hole. Go riding on some tight twisty trails and you'll easily leave those 700's behind, not even close. For fast trail riding, handling and suspension are what matter, and the Rincon has it all over the Polaris in this area. If you're comparing a Rincon to a 700 Polaris in the mud, the Polaris will walk all over the Rincon; the Rincon is not the best mudder. Also, let's see how those 700's hold up after a few thousand miles of abuse...

I would also tell you that a forum dedicated to a specific ATV will obviously uncover some problems. Basically every member on this site owns a Rincon and as soon as a problem arises, we will know about it. On the flip side, people don't usually start threads telling others how reliable and durable their machine has been. Go vist a Ford Mustang forum for example, and you'll see what I mean...

·
Premium Member
1,034 Posts
Well Johnny, you are also comparing a 650 to a 700, and a chain or belt drive against a shaft drive. The overall reliability of a Honda is what sells it. A few yrs or even months from now, those Polaris', Kawasakis and Suzukis will be on blocks while you are still riding yours with no problems.I've had all other brands of ATVs and had several Polaris'.I won't ever buy anything other than a Honda if for no other reason only for the lasting reliability and toughness.I don't mind adding a few things on to beef it up, afterall, that's alot of the fun of it.True, there is no perfect ATV.They all have thier perks and downfalls.But I chose to be loyal to Honda because all my Hondas and the Dealers have been loyal to me in return.Ofcourse these are just my opinions.I guess what's important is that YOU are happy with what you spend your hard earned money on.Ride safe!!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
In response to ATV Tech.

Yes the timing adjust statement was wrong.

You stated; "1) rejetting - the reason you read a lot about rejetting on this forum is because most people have installed Dynojet kits which require some fine tuning. The Rincon does not require any rejetting when left stock."
Lets get real...why do we dyno jet to start with? Due to an over-all, lack of performance and we all want performance...correct?

Your statement about the 700 is pretty much correct as I see it. 0 to 40, I am all over the 700 but it catches me quick and blows me away. Myne tops at 52mph and the 700 is around 72. My rincon has 268 miles on it, runs good, but just feels as if there is nothing else there at top end. Some of the readers state their speeds in excess of 65mph, but I just don't see it, and don't know if it is possible. We will see though.

Anyway..the bottom line is this; If honda would have made their factory machines with all the performance enhancments,, we all would buy them. They didn't and we all did buy the Rincon. So we will alter the new machine so it will perform to our expectations. Honda should be honest enough to lay claim to that. That is my only point.

As far as longevity, I bought a Honda (my first one)because of their reputation in the industry as having a fine piece of recreational equipment that will hold up for years. I am determined and will make this work.

I am also learning alot on this forum as to how to make it work. I look forward to getting good honest information and feedback from all of you in the future.

Thanks
Johnnyboy

·
Registered
424 Posts
Fair enough Johnnyboy, Honda has always detuned their machines more than others, it's one of the "quirks" of owning a Honda.

If your Rincon tops out at 52 mph, there is a serious problem with it. Take it back to your dealer ASAP and have them check it out. A Rincon should be able to do 60 mph easily, but most will do around 62 mph. My bone stock Rincon tops out at exactly 62 mph. (still not fast enough for me)

I should have thought of this before, but what brand and size of tires are you running?

·
Registered
102 Posts
Johnnyboy, I will agree with you to some point. I was beginning to hate my rincon after about two weeks of owning it because of the lack of power and low gearing, but I knew all of this before I bought it so I really couldn't say much I just wanted the biggest 4-wheeler honda made. So after a few months I decided to start tinkering with it I added a supertrapp exhaust and a jet kit with a K&N filter and after a little bit of fine adjustment I am in love all over again with the rincon and just a few months ago I installed a Detroit locker and now this thing will go anywhere. The one thing you are right about is a person shouldn't have to do all these things, but I would bet that there isn't to many people out there if they had the chance to buy the perfect 4-wheeler they would still go and buy aftermarket things for it like tires or just a exhaust for the sound. If you plan on keeping your rincon do some of these things I have talked about and I bet you will be impressed with the out come. I don't see myself getting rid of my rincon for a long time unless they make a bigger and better rincon in the future.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
04RinconMan
I am currently running the stock tires...but Santa is bringing me 25" ITP 589's. They look like the best bang for the buck...or should I go with 26's? Whatever I do I will keep the stock wheels.

I will take it to the dealer to have it checked over and might as well have the valves adjusted...for starters.

Thanks

·
Registered
41 Posts
Johnnyboy, I too was not impressed with my Rincon and almost traded it within the first month for a Grizzly. However if you read some of their post then they too have design flaws and problems. I chose to stay with my Honda due to the reliability. I have had Honda ATV's for years only replace the normal wear items. People also hold Honda to a higher standard due to their past performance. For years Honda was ahead of the competition when it came to performance with their ATV's but that all seem to come to a halt with the continous flow of law suits due to people getting hurt. Idiots who ride stupid would blame the manufacturer because their machine was too powerful. This was part of what led to the end of the 250r(the best two stroke ever made). Sorry I get frustrated when I think about people blaming the manufacturer for their own stupidity. This just hurts the rest of us who accept responsibility for own actions. Bottom line is I do wish the rincon had one more gear, EFI and a front diff lock. This would give better low range, faster throttle response and the ability to mud with the best of them. Honda does these things and I will definitely upgrade.

·
Premium Member
159 Posts
Give her a couple hundred more miles on the break in and clip your carb spring in half.Should wake up a little then.

·
Registered
800 Posts
johnnyboy I agree with most of what you have to say about the Rincon.had my brother bring up his new 05 Polaris 500 and after just a short ride I knew it could smoke my rinny no problem. I am not here to bash the Rincon just saying his 05 is better out of the box than the Rincon is.its more than just Honda making a (de tuned) atv for legal reasons, lets face it Honda missed the boat with the Rincon.until Honda adds front diff lock,adjustable shocks,efi,hi lo gear,disk brakes the Rincon will always be in the back of the pack or until you spend over 1000$ to make it even with a stock Polaris.I have always been a Honda kind of a person but it looks like the Rincon just might become the wife's ride and I will take a look at another brand for my next atv, as much as I hate belts maybe a king quad might fit the bill..

·
Registered
424 Posts
Just out of curiosity Silveradoman, how exactly does the Sportsman 500 smoke your Rinny, in what way?

·
Premium Member
6,768 Posts
rincons rock !

OK, so I spent about $1000.00 canadian dollars on mine in after market performance related mods...but I can tell you this... I have raced the polaris 700, the yamaha bruin, and a grizzly accross a recently cultivated field, and kicked their ask... I was so far ahead of them I had time to stop and turn and around to see who was going to make second (the bruin, the grizzly and the polaris) the polaris piece of crap was so far behind the girzzly that he had time to stop and turn around as well...granted, rider experience plays a huge roll in this... I rock...

·
Registered
102 Posts
JohnnyBoy, On the tires I would buy the 26x9x12 front tires and 26x12x12 rear tires. I have the 589's in these sizes and I love them. I can go places in 2 wheel drive now that it use to have to be in 4 wheel drive with the stock tires. Which ever size you chose you want be disappointed.

·
Registered
800 Posts
I knew when I made the post I would catch some heat,I just put the fire out in my pm box lol.I live on a old farm and have my owen fields.I have a dirt road about 400 feet long. the land is sloped as you can see in some of my pics. what I am saying is from the bottom to the top the Polaris was allot faster than my Rincon.I find the tranny down shifting allot more with the bigger tires. I know once I add some new mods come tax's return time my rinny will get allot better. I think the point johnnyboy was trying to make is we should not have to be adding better tires, cutting our carb springs,adding a jet kit. I am just 1 guy who rode a 05 Polaris and compared it to my rinny with my current mods, and the 05 was better than my 03 except for having a beltdriven tranny, in my view.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Most everyone here knows my views and I am disliked because of them. I have been a die hard honda fan since I was old enough to walk. This is all I have ever owned and loved them (wouldn't even look at other brands). Then I got the rincon and several months later was rid of this atv. I agree that honda definitly made a huge mistake with this atv by not putting disk brakes and makeing a huge 650 engine feel like a 500. My rincon also would only do 52MPH and I even re-jetted ect trying to get it to ride like my old rubicon 500cc. I finally got me a Grizzly and have never been happier!!! This thing has it all, IRS, Disk breaks all around, locker, 2wd/4wd selector, huge power, and I have seen 68MPH easily before my new tires...I know the people on this forum will bash me and I don't care...My advise to you and anyone not happy is just go drive the King quad, brute force, and Grizzly...and then still tell me that the rincon is better...BAH! Honda is lagging WAY behind in their ATV's and using the "reliable" crap to keep people buying them with their loyal group...But I know this, a lot of loyalits are switching sides..like me because of the huge differences in the bikes in stock form...

·
Registered
800 Posts
it might be the camera angle but it looks like Jason has 27"tires up front and 25" in rear. it must be the light lol. Jason the reason you are so called (disliked) is because you came off (to me) as a Honda hater. I saw you post on how you felt about the Rincon. umm you were Rincon bashing,and that's why some people are upset with you.I to made a post on here a few days ago telling people how unhappy I was that I had to spend money on my rinny just to get it to perform. I to got some not nice things said to me in my pm box. I try to just tell it like I see it (no bashing) bottom line is I am going to stick it out with the bike, if after making some more mods it still not up to par it will become the wife's ride and I will get another brand of bike. just 1 guys view not bashing

·
Registered
338 Posts
i wont bash either one of you...you need to do what makes you feel good..and if i was replacing the rincon today,i too would go get the grizz(and i have steered 4 other people in our riding group to get the grizz,more bang for the buck period)to some people money is not the issue but to others they want the most options for the money,when i bought my rincon i didn't care i knew what is was getting and already had all the other add ons in the garage waiting on it,but know things have changed and i need to get the most for what i pay for..

we ride with a guy who has over 7000 miles on his grizz,it has been so abused it is scary,sure he has had problems,anything major(no!)does it have a locker,disc brakes more ground clearance,adjustable shocks yes..for less money than my rincon...

i am so sorry that members here would feel they have to pm you about what you have said..some people just can't take the truth...i can..after 4100 miles i still love my rincon,facts are facts it is not the fastest or comes with the most stuff so we have to fall on the ole standby its more reliable..well i don't see yamaha or suzuki to far behind in reliability today..

so like i said before HONDA WAKE UP!!!(i cleaned it up so as not to offend anyone)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Honda missed the boat on a couple of things, like the Rincon needs one lower gear, locking front diff, EFI, and more integral storage. On the other hand, I have a 1000 miles on my '03 and have loved every minute of it. I ride all types of terrain from sand dunes to wide open desert to technical trails to deep mud and then plow snow all winter, all with the same machine.

1 - 20 of 76 Posts