Honda Rincon Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This weekend my son and I were riding on our hunting lease and the overheat light kept coming on when after about 20 minutes riding and running at low speeds (5 mph or lower) or even when idling. I check all the wiring to both sensors and they appear to be good. I had an issue a while back that oil senor wire came off and it would come on after 5 minutes. I have grounded the wires for both water and oil sensor and fan does come on. I live in Louisiana and it was extremely hot outside this past weekend.
If I am able to stay about 5 mph, the light never comes on. I get enough flow to keep either the oil or radiator fins cool enough. Also, I have noticed the fan only kicks on every so often. It is a 2004 Honda Rincon with about 8,000 miles. I was thinking of just replacing both sensors to see if that would fix the issue.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
6,524 Posts
Try removing the oil cooler and clean behind it (between the OC and Rad). Check also that the fins are not damaged on both (pressure washing the rad can fold the little weak aluminum fins over blocking air flow)

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I removed the oil cooler and ran water through it. There was so much trash and dust between both. I will be adding spacers and get some ac non-acid coil cleaner and really clean it out. I will run it this weekend to see if it doesn't overheat again.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Here is a follow up. Took the 4 wheeler out yesterday. After running for 30 minutes and started going at a slower speed the red light came on again. I pulled the water thermal sensor wire and grounded it again and the fan ran. In the process of doing this, I accidentally broke off the spade the wire connector goes on. With it being a 2004 and needing to change the oil before hunting season and never have changed the radiator fluid, I went ahead and ordered two new sensors. I will make sure to get radiator fluid for an ATV.

During this whole process, there has been a yellow wire that isn't connected to anything up by the fan. It appears a previous owner had spliced into the fan wire before the 2P connector. I grounded the wire that the fan came on with the ignition key turned to the on position. I am thinking someone may have had it setup for the fan to come on all the time. I was thinking of installing a toggle switch to where I can turn it on when I know I will be going at low speeds. What are the thoughts?

Also, I know the oil sensor wire end must have broken office. I looks like someone put a butt splice connector and used silicone to keep it attached. I pulled it off by mistake during an oil change. While it was disconnected, I grounded the connector and the fan came on. Is this the best way to attach to this sensor if the original wire harness wire connector broke off. Looking for suggestions.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts