Honda Rincon Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought an '05 Honda Rincon less than one month ago. I am having issues with it overheating. I have read the other posts in the forum and attempted to take that information to a dealer to have it checked out. However, the dealership that I went to was unable (I think unwilling) to discover anything wrong with the quad. It used to overheat after about 4 hours of moderate riding. It now overheats in about an hour. The overheating problem has been occurring consistently for about two weeks. I was told that it was an issue with mud clogging the rad, but I have two buddies with water cooled quads whose is caked with mud and rarely washed. They have no overheating issues (they both have models other than Honda). I washed the quad really well and rode today--no mud and it still overheated. Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Pat

·
Registered
95 Posts
Does the fan run? The fan should come on after about 15-20 minutes of idleing.

·
Registered
807 Posts
There are dozens fo posts here in this forum relating to overheating. Run a search and you will find a bunch of things you can check and do to fix it. I had overheating problems the dealers couldn't fix and finally fixed it myself. My Webshots link will show you how.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Pat,

My son and I both have 2005 Rincons and we both have the same problem with the Temp/Oil light coming on. One Ricon comes on consistently after 4 miles of non-stop riding. We turn the motor off and let the fan run until the light goes out and ride for another 4 miles. The other Rincon, the light doesn't come on nearly as much. We're working through the list of suggestions in the forum for fixing this. We both have the same mods. Added 2" exhaust tips without rejetting so are first attempt to fix will be rejetting. We also added ITP 26" 589s, winches and skid plates. Lot's of additional weight.

Have you done any mods to your Rincon. ?

Thanks

·
Registered
807 Posts
Skip1,& PatMC..... Sounds like the symtoms both of mine had. The exhaust tip alone will cause a lean condition and overheating if you don't rejet. (mixture is extremely important) Do that first or go back to the stock tip in the meantime. Next, the Rincon's oil cooler is located TOO close to the radiator and causes mud to pack in between the two. I made extensions for the cooler and it solved all my overheating problems. (check my webshots) I also enlarged the front scoop just for good measure. If you look at my webshots you will see, I ride in a lot of mud and have had absolutely no problems since. Not only is the mud not able to pack between the two.....cleaning the cooler and the radiator is a snap now.
BTW, the dealers were useless and after 7 times attempting to fix with no results, I made these mods myself. I understand others here have tried this and it helped them as well. Hope it helps.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I have had a 2" exhaust tip on mine since July and have never had the overheat light come on, and the plug color is fine. the fan never comes on unless the quad is stationary.

·
Registered
807 Posts
OK WoodsRunner, Then dealing with this type of overheating problem would not apply to you, would it? LOL. Count your blessings if yours isn't overheating. It's a pain in the ass as described by Skip1 above. Different situations will affect machines differently.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Obviously, the 2" tip does not create a lean condition on all Rinnys, or any Rinny that I have seen, as you have stated above.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Mine came on during my third ride. I put some Water Wetter in the next day and the light has not come on since. Have went on 7-8 rides since.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Well woodsrunner, first of all, one of the primary effects on mixture is altitude. (Thinner air and all). And obviously all Rinny's are not ridden at the same altitude. Next, go ahead and ignore the possibility of a lean running engine and see what happens. Also I was responding to Skip1, and in light of the fact his IS overheating and his mod involved the 2" tip.....I was informing HIM, that the tip mod, is most defintely capable of causing a lean condition. Just as many other factors can, as well. So I guess you haven't seen 'em all. And of course a lean condition is only one of many factors that can cause the Rinny to overheat. Skip1 may have to check other potential problems to solve his specific problem.......but for the life of me, I don't know how telling him yours ISN'T overheating is helping him, or anyone else for that matter. Go figure.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Skip1 lives in PA. I don't think altitude is going to be a factor.

I monitored engine temp and spark plug after the 2" tip was added.
No change in either. On 2 Rinnys.

HIS overheating is not caused by HIS tip, either. He is going to have to
look elsewhere.

·
Registered
231 Posts
WoodsRuner, Do you ride 5+ miles without stopping or slowing down at 20+ MPH ? This is when we have our light come on.

Thanks

·
Registered
807 Posts
WoodsRunner....Enough already........here's the 2 minute check. If it didn't overheat before the tip......take two minutes and put the stock tip back on and see if it's still overheating. If it isn't, well then ya know. If it is, check other factors. Whew! That was tough. Are we done huffin & puffin about who's right. We have a saying when flying. If you just flew into really crappy weather with zero visability........"do a 180!"......You know the weather was fine behind you.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Skip1, yes I do a lot of higher speed non-stop riding. The beanfield behind my house has a trail around it about 3 miles long, and allows speeds 30-60 mph. I ride it 3-4 laps frequently non-stop.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Briman, ignoring your personal insult, let me tell you that theory
and practicallity do not always coincide. Having added a 2" tip
to two Rinnys, mine and a buddies, and having monitored head temp
and spark plug color on both, I can with reasonable assuredness say that
adding a 2" tip does NOT lean out a Rinny to the point of increasing it's
operating temp, which is what this thread is all about.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Do a search on me and the return of the temp light. This was an ongoing problem for the first year that I owned my 03. It was finally taken care of by Honda but they aren't sure what they did to fix it. I was on a first name basis with Honda's customer satisfaction. If your dealer doesn't want to take care of it call honda direct, they will take care of it. Just be nice and patient, remember they hear complaints all day long. The best way to get what you want to to be nice about it. They sent a tech out to my local dealer to work on my machine and finally after replacing a bunch of parts, it was fixed. If you have any questions just contact me.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for all of the input. My bike just came back from the second repair shop. The first said that they tested the systems, etc... and that it was mud. The second shop said that it was the mud and took it apart and cleaned out the mud. To me, this is unacceptable. I bought this quad to ride in the mud--isn't that what you do on a quad?? Anyway, I am going to take it out again and see what happens. Thanks to SXflyer for the modifications suggestion. If my bike was out of warranty, I would probably attempt this. However, it is less than a month old and has 100 miles on it, so I called an attorney that was listed for the PA Lemon Law. He said that the Lemon Law does not apply, but that this is a breach of warranty case (Federal Magnuson Moss Warranty Act) and that I should ride the thing as normal and if the problems continue, to keep taking it to the shop and documenting the repairs (or lack thereof). After the third time to the shop, this attorney will file suit with Honda. It will cost me nothing. I would suggest to anyone else having these issues (especially on an '05--costing roughly $8,000) to do a search of the Lemon Law on the Internet and find an attorney. In my opinion, Honda will only make changes to this bike or acknowledge a problem when it costs them money. I have spoken to Honda's customer service twice now and the only suggestion I get is to sell it or to trade it in. I WILL NOT take that kind of hit on a bike that I just bought. I am not happy at all with Honda.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Pat,

Please keep us updated on how you make out....thanks

·
Premium Member
762 Posts
I have an 05' Rincon with lots of extra weight onboard and have driven over 400 kms with no problems with overheating. I am soon to get a 2" exhaust tip and will be interesting to see if this will cause the rinny to overheat.

I will keep you guys posted.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts