Honda Rincon Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anybody have any pics of where they installed the temp gauge? Looking for some idea's thanks

·
Premium Member
3,800 Posts
Here's where I installed mine.

·
Premium Member
1,963 Posts
I was thinking of installing one in the red (or green or whatever) plastic piece that is right in front of the seat. I thought about putting it in one of the front fenders but the handlebars would block the sight path to it.

·
Premium Member
1,963 Posts
Got the gauge installed today. Here's how it turned out.

·
Registered
613 Posts
This might come across the wrong way but i don't understand the true purpose of an after market temp gauge. I’ve seen and heard several concerns on over heating. Nobody trusts the manufacture temp light? Many people or members have installed addition temp gauges, what is the main reason. If you notice that the temp is increasing; is there anything you as the driver can do to reduce the heat? or do you just pull over an stop for a while? I haven’t had an over heating problem yet but maybe I do and don’t know it. I”m just double checking?

·
Premium Member
1,963 Posts
I am very interested in knowing just what temp I am running at. As far as the light goes I have never trusted IDIOT lights.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Hondaman, So it's a trust issue then. Have you ever overheated? If so did the temp light ever go off? I see why people would question the original temp light. Going back to the the original post...I like where you place it. I would install it there also, this way it wouldn't break off.

·
Registered
807 Posts
The temp gauge is inline with the radiator coolant. It will let you know if the radiator coolant is getting hotter. But you still won't know what is causing it. The idiot light is connnected to both the coolant & the oil sensors, so if it comes on you don't know which one activated it. And it's moot anyway because one affects the other. If an oil problem causes the engine to overheat, it will in turn overheat the coolant and vice-versa. A gauge on both might be the better answer, but you would have to be monitoring them both closly to know which one is causing a problem first. When I have had overheat problems, I check both - oil and coolant related issues. And as far as what to do when riding.....Yes, pull over and wait for the light to go out. Leave the key on to keep the fan running while the engine is off. I know it's a pain, but in the field, there's not much else to do.

·
Registered
613 Posts
I understand now. I haven't had any problems but i just want to make sure I'm not missing anything important.. DO they make one gauge that records both oil and radiator so you don;t have to install two?

·
Registered
807 Posts
I haven't seen one designed for ATV's.

·
Registered
338 Posts
i can give you a good reason for a gauge,if you look at it and know what you normally run temp wise,you can tell if your radiator is getting clogged and clean it out before you overheat,the light only tells you,that you are overheating,not a condition i want my motor to be in very often.

i have had my guage mounted on the instrument pod since day 1 ,3800 miles later i know of 2 times it let me know i was running hotter than normal and i got down to a stream and pressure washed the radiator out,btw the light does not even come on till you over 220 degrees and boiling..another reason to mount it on your pod it is easliy seen while riding,all you do is glance down(move your eyes not your head) slightly,now mounting it below the gas tank you have to look down and that could lead to some bad things happening..especially riding fast threw the woods at windrock mtn in tenn.

and to add one more thought why in sam hell would you produce a quad with liquid cooling that is going to be ridden in mud and not include a temp guage in the nice digital displays that all the big bores have?that is a question to ALL manufacturers not just honda,i know yamaha is working on changing that as we speak..

·
Premium Member
1,963 Posts
jg, yes I overheated 1 time that I know of. There is a rubber splash guard located under the front panel which somehow came undone and fell down and got stuck in my fan. And yes the light came on. All worked out well though and after some diagnostic time and a new fuse the ride continued.

toolman, I hear what you are saying about looking down, but I wanted a clean install and the only place on the instrument panel where the gauge might have been able to fit was already taken (see pic). So I put it where I did, and honestly when I am riding that aggrssively I aint lookin @ the speedo either.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts